270 or Humphrey's....

Winterhawk1960

Reaction score
I've narrowed down my choices to either a 270, KC model or a Humphrey's of comparable size. What would be your choice.....and why ???

Thank-You.....in advance, for your reply

I've narrowed down my choices to either a 270, KC model or a Humphrey's of comparable size. What would be your choice.....and why ???

Thank-You.....in advance, for your reply

Interesting to see what is said on this.

From what I’ve read. Both have a great following. The 270 having very minimal heat differences seems like a big plus to me. I would like to try a 270 out or at least see one.

Wonder how well the 270 does in wind without temp control unit? I know it has wind shield.

Both companies seem to have great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting to see what is said on this.

From what I’ve read. Both have a great following. The 270 having very minimal heat differences seems like a big plus to me. I would like to try a 270 out or at least see one.

Wonder how well the 270 does in wind without temp control unit? I know it has wind shield.

Both companies seem to have great customer service.

I've seen a 270 in action, and spoke with the owner's at length, REALLY fine people. Whatever my decision is, will have a guru attached.

I picked up a used 270 Standard last month. Was trying to make the same decision. Did a lot of research on this forum and surfing the world wide interweb. Lots of great reviews from owners of both.

Basically came down to what I could get in my area. First cook on it was ridiculously easy and turned out pretty darn well. Family and friends certainly didn’t complain about it. I couldn’t be happier with my choice. If there had been a Battle Box available used in my area, I would have bought that one instead and I’m sure I would have been just as happy!

I have the 270 sumo. I was looking for something that could be used in winter with little attention to it.

It is all that and more...I do see how the have a windshiled now, but I have literally never needed anything...no wind shields, no temp controllers, no nothing. It cooks awesome BBQ and I couldn't be happier.

Super bowl sunday I did my first ever brisket (10lbs), I did 3 racks of ribs, moinkballs, and pork shots. I started the cooker at 5:30am, brisket in at 6:30, ribs in at 8:30...everything was done at 2pm. It was honestly the best day I've had cooking BBQ. Everything was sensational...and I had left the house for a few hours in between. I used no temp controller, nothing...and it was a colllldddd start to the morning that day.

I did pay a boat load to ship it up here but I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure the humphrey's is a quality product, I have no experience with them.

Now I want one of their bigger models.

I really don't see how much better a 270 could run with a guru. Maybe if you are trying to do a marathon 24 hour session or something, you may get some more life out of your coals. I ran the sumo for 12-14 hours without touching the intake.

^^^This. My favorite feature of the 270 is that you can run it without any gadgets at all.

Those 270's are amazing, I've seen lots of them at comps and their owner's were the only ones really getting much sleep at night and the only electronics used were just probe wires run down the exhaust openings.

Their ability to hold a desired temp with only the air inlet is unmatched.

270 owners. Do they cook faster than normal Bbq times you have been used to?

Anyone used in high winds with no wind breaks?

Love my 270s!! Been using them for 3+ years. A lot of great comments above. Yes I think they cook quicker because of the convection effect. I have had no need to run a guru thingy; i know exactly where to set my vent to hold 250-265 for hours. Never had issues with the elements; just adapt like you would with other cookers.

I have a rack of comp ribs running now and also a peach dump cake on the top rack. Good stuff. I dont think you can go wrong with either choice.

yeah to make myself clear I am not putting Humphrey smokers down in fact I like Humphrey smokers a lot , wish I owned one actually . the 270 just cooks fast, think of conventional oven compared to convection oven

Both seem like good smokers. I bought a humphrey's and 9 months later I sent in a deposit for another one. A lot of people run them with controllers but they run very well without one. I cook hot and ran all day at 300 making maybe 2 tweaks to the exhaust valve.

Both seem like good smokers. I bought a humphrey's and 9 months later I sent in a deposit for another one. A lot of people run them with controllers but they run very well without one. I cook hot and ran all day at 300 making maybe 2 tweaks to the exhaust valve.

Just curious, how bad did the shipping hurt ??? That is also a factor in my decision.

Back