Thought I Had My UDS Planned Out, Now I'm Not Sure.

I purchased a SS drum from bubbas barrels and cut the top off. It was not a removable lid style, and the Weber lid fit as perfect as it does on the grill. Smoke came out around the lid the first hour or so, then has not leaked since. I’ve done 2 pork butts in December and just done a Turkey last week. I did get a BBQ guru for it and the temps are spot on. The butts I did at 275 and the turkey at 300 (spatchcocked). Best turkey I’ve ever done. I also made an adjustable rack system so I wasn’t stuck with the solid placement of just bolts.

So I gotta throw my $.02 in here. I think the best plan is to use the kettle bottom as the lid. I have built four and used this method each time. There are several benefits; It's taller-allowing more food-like a turkey. It's shape promotes better air flow. And It's heavier-providing better heat retention. I take the original kettle lid and cut it all the way around about an inch or less from the lip. I leave several tabs which I use to bolt it to the barrel. Then I can set the kettle on as a lid and it seals perfectly. And you don't have to bend a strap to weld to the barrel. I did that on my first one and it was a huge pain.

Back