Grills as status symbols?

Another factor that the women at work mentioned is that the grill would often be used for burgers, hot dogs and chicken breasts. It looks like pellet technology might be heading this way but doesn’t seem to be the strong suit for many pellet grills currently in the market. A $170 Weber Q grill might be better than their current grill but wouldn’t be much of a smoker. Just like good tools, you need to pick the right one for the job. And tools can be status symbols too!

Many people fall into the fallacy that more expensive = better. They really believe the more they spend the better the end result. Drum smokers prove this to be completely false. Unfortunately a lot of the industry relies on this to sling overpriced cookers.

I overheard several people at work talking about grills. They were mentioning Traeger pellet grills and Big Green Eggs. All three people talking were women and they all had common, cheap gas grills. They wanted to buy an upgrade for their husbands. They saw me listening and said, “We’ve had your food at parties, we want our husbands to do stuff like that.” I told them that everything I have cooked for parties (Ham, Turkey, Chicken, Chuckies, Pulled Pork, Wings, ABT’s, etc) has come off of a 20+ year old Weber kettle. They were shocked. I said you can go to a store and buy a Weber kettle for $100-$180, get a few bags of charcoal and a bag of apple or cherry wood chunks and then could get after it. I then said if you want to go cheaper you could also go the craigslist/marketplace/let go route and get a kettle for $20-40 bucks and clean it up with Easy Off oven cleaner. Then grab a few new grates if needed and then wait for the big box charcoal sales this spring and buy ten bags or so and then cut your own hardwood chunks from a local source. The ladies smiled at me and then said, “We love your food but we want a grill that will look nice when we have people over.” I just mentioned that I have had really good food off of Eggs and Traegers and then said I would be happy to share recipes and rubs/sauces if they ever had the need. Oh well. I thought I was giving them the key to BBQ zen but to each their own. The hobby is great fun regardless of what people like and how they get there.

I totally get it and I'm guilty as well. I started with an 18" Weber kettle, an oven thermometer, and a dial meat thermometer. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I loved doing it. I "graduated" to an el cheapo smoker that I modified the hell out of to get to work well. It wasn't until my wife and I got married that she got me my WSM. Now I'm looking at stick burners and I have a hard time settling for anything less than the best, partly due to the fact that I want bragging rights. I get wanting a good looking unit on your deck or patio when company is over. At the same time, I hear what you are saying.:decision: I still have my 18" Weber kettle. I feel like food cooked from the heart, made with what you have because you want to do it, is far better than food turned off of the most fancy and up to date rigs out there. Nothing beats food made with love.

THIS!
I started with a simple charcoal grill, learned about smoking and L&S and bought a Traeger. The rest is history and in my signature :mrgreen:

This kinda rings true for me, I bought a Brinkman gasser and a weber, I used to "smoke" my ribs for 30 minutes then transfer to the oven to cook (please don't hate) I knew I wanted to expand and up my game. When I went to look for my permanent vessel I wanted a company that would stand behind their product, see I'm a kid from the 70's when sh!t actually lasted even if it wasn't cheap. This drew me to the BGE, look I have seen the cooks here and the rigs, I realize I might be a outsider but any company that sells ceramics and offers free replacements is kinda great to me... Hell I'd buy a pellet pooper or stick burner, truth is I'm too damn lazy :grin:

Thanks,
Greg

I was building an outdoor kitchen in my last house and found a Grill Shop going out of business and liquidating their inventory of real Lynx Grills for 50% off of retail.

I bought one of course along with an infrared side burner and loved them to death, but not a single visitor over the next five years recognized that I had a $5,500 built in grill. I did get kudos for well cooked food, but no love for the Lynx.... It made me extremely happy and that was enough.

been using a weber kettle for ever. built a uds after burning out a cheap stick burner. my buddies all got yoder and treager pellet poopers...they look great on their decks, but they are all still pissed when I show up to a gathering with various meats I've prepared on the "cheap" pits.

I started on a WSM knockoff that I had gotten 3rd hand and a 2nd hand Weber gas grill. They both came to the end of their life / my wife didn't like them uglying up the background of the pictures of the kids. I used it as an excuse to get a Weber Genesis and a Green Mountain Pellet cooker. After 2 years of consistent food from a pellet cooker I tracked down a reverse flow and I'm loving it when I have the time to babysit it. I would love to get a fancy unit from Shirley or one of the many other amazing pit builders but that is strictly for my vanity.

It's funny how the definition of a "status symbol" pit/grill varies from person. Some want fancy, state-of-the-art pellet rigs, or ones that can be left to set and forget, with the temperature monitored over WiFi.

For me personally, my status symbol pit would be an OBSCENELY massive offset. 3/4" pipe steel with a smokestack taller than my eaves, all sorts of cool custom designs welded on. It could fit 6 briskets, 12 racks of spares, and 10 whole chickens at a time. A monster that weighs in at several thousand pounds and can only be moved by trailering it up to an F-350.

Yes, dear Brethren...that would be a status symbol pit indeed. I'll likely never get it, unless I hit the Lotto. Which is fine, really, because I do love my stick burner. She is a stout, custom made rig that has a lovely state of Texas welded to her 7' smokestack cover, and a shelf made from the same red oak that I use to fuel her. Ol' Reliable...you can still turn my head, honey. :grin:

Its All About The Cook!
I started years ago on a Weber Kettle, worked to learn the unit and produce the best I could with it; and then went to the ECB when they came out. I have used it untill I could see the smoke through the walls, then got another.
The ECB became a limited unit as I wanted a better cook ( which is all I am really after) and knew that it really was too much work to babysit it. Its limitations became frustrating to the point I almost quit.
I have been in love with my "Dream Smoker", the Meadowcreek BX50. When I first saw it, it was the smoker I built in my mind, but reality dictated that it is too expensive right now.

I decided the next best for me would be the WSM 22, and I did shamelessly drop hints, which my wife took to heart and surprised me this past Christmas with it. And Yes, I do Love it and am enjoying the learning it.

But, as always straight to the point, I just want to produce the best cook I can, and I will take what I have and hone my skills with it. After all, isnt that what it is all about?

I'm not sure if the people mentioned in the OP were looking for a status symbol as perhaps more interested in form over function. Possibly more concerned with looks than how the thing works.

...Which is fine, really, because I do love my stick burner. She is a stout, custom made rig that has a lovely state of Texas welded to her 7' smokestack cover, and a shelf made from the same red oak that I use to fuel her. Ol' Reliable...you can still turn my head, honey. :grin:

Where's the 'GLAMOUR' shot? :wink:

Where's the 'GLAMOUR' shot? :wink:

Here she is! :mrgreen:

6A75eXoh.jpg

I'm not sure if the people mentioned in the OP were looking for a status symbol as perhaps more interested in form over function. Possibly more concerned with looks than how the thing works.

not uncommon. I have a buddy that built a new house. Their back patio has a built in 5 burner gasser sandwiched between two large BGE's. He's been there 2 years and there's never been a fire in either Egg.

I think most things in life are this way. My wife wanted an iPod, this was 10 or 15 years ago, but I found this Creative Zen that was better in every way. Bigger screen, better battery life, better price, better control interface, better everything. We got it and she used it.

But it "wasn't an iPod." It didn't look as cool and didn't have as many cool accessories. And nobody else knew what it was.

Now she's used to it. If we want a Roomba, I find something that is much better and more obscure. In fact, everything I do is like that, almost :wacko:

“When it comes to grills, guns, guitars and gals.....there IS NO perfect one” The Dude
They all have pros and cons. Have as many as you can afford and enjoy.....I agree about the weber kettle.....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have a Sunbeam 2 burner gasser that's my mainstay. Cast aluminum box, genuine redwood shelves. Standard "H" burner that's been replaced a few times. 30 farkin years old, still going strong. Lots of burgers, dogs, chicken, and steaks have come off of this. Even smoked a rack of ribs once, using a pellet pouch for smoke.

14293629040_5c6fd84aaf_b.jpg

Back