Nephews 2nd Backyard Comp in FL 2020 Edition

Thanks everyone! I'll bore you with more detail stuff tomorrow.

Random thoughts.......never had more fun at a comp, twins were just so freaking humble and happy (they congratulated the grand backyard team who had 2 young boys helping their dad/mom), they went home and we are at another family members house, they left their RGC trophy which im mounting to the hood of my truck, I'm about to eat cheese dip on pork rinds, 20200215_201821.jpg20200215_211308.jpg

That is so impressive, huge congratulations out to the boys and you must be one super proud uncle!

:whoo:Jason, Tell them boys from me they can come down here and cook anytime, and a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! That is fantastic to do as well as they did their first time out, great scores!! Especially taking reserve!!!

They paid attention to what you taught them and I would say they are well on the way to being some of the next generation of Brethren! Ya Done Good!!

Very fun post, thanks Jason!

Congrats to all!

Now release the Kracken! You deserve it with your rinds and cheese.

Very cool Jason!

Thank you for sharing and putting a smile on my face this morning. :)

So the short version is you can probably tell I was so proud/excited from my idiot face shi$t eating grin smile right after they got that RGC call :becky:
SX0oeLyl.jpg

They did backyard awards where they announce top 5 team, but they randomly call up the 2nd-5th teams up, not knowing who is in which place, so you know if you are up there you are in the top 2-5. After that.....someone still sitting down in the crowd is 1st place so it's a cool way to do awards.

Then when they called overall they asked for 3 teams to come up........none were the twins........it threw me for a minute........I thought "was the chicken so bad it hosed them from a good overall result".......it has happened to me before where one category shot me in the foot :becky:. But after getting 2nd ribs, 2nd, pork and 3rd brisket it was clearly a good day for them and I was so happy.......but I was still curious :-D.

Ended up those 3 teams were 5th-3rd overall so when they got called for 2nd I was as excited as anything we've ever done ourselves.

Similar to last time I never told them what I thought about any of the turn ins.

Chicken: I thought it was great. No problems, though chicken was never our strong suit. Still hard to get 8 legs in a box. 6th place

Ribs: Damn they were good. First time I had them inject ribs.........they weren't placed as even as they could have been, but kept my mouth shut.........2nd place

Pork: Here I had to help explain the different cuts of the butts again (not the MM), but the other parts that typically do well, saucing was a little sloppy, but I tried to help even less so I didn't say anything......2nd place

Brisket: Sweet monkey the burnt ends were amazing! I'd literally have turned them in at any contest. Flat, which we tasted after the burnt ends, not so much. Ok flavor and a little dry. I just hoped the burnt ends would bring the overall score up.......3rd place.

Will take the backyard RGC coin and invest it into the next contest :-D

A huge shout out to FBA and City of Davenport. What a great contest. The organizers, FBA reps and especially the city of Davenport staff/volunteers all went out of their way to talk to the boys, welcome and encourage them. I few of the volunteers/staff congratulated the boys multiple times during awards and come to our spot after when we were getting packed up and leaving.

Here's random remaining pics. Wish I had gotten more pics, but we had about 15 family members out so was busy :biggrin1:
YUZrpeSl.jpg

cNLpAwOl.jpg

SspJOG0l.jpg

np8PORpl.jpg

5N9oGNrl.jpg

ZSVEHu2l.jpg

Ow9cnySl.jpg

9nJH6khl.jpg

UeJ6OJKl.jpg

05BtSrel.jpg

iSKT86Vl.jpg

I9BZVZVl.jpg

0XXrH5Gl.jpg

a197Bczl.jpg

FMap1zTl.jpg

SjhpAmtl.jpg

0FvYAQbl.jpg

VZue6O1l.jpg

9oFmnMQl.jpg

MojcI2Gl.jpg

B3zMwmIl.jpg

O7N8Lfql.jpg

Congrats to them boys! Before you know it they will be giving you pointers.

Dude that's awesome!!! FLA back yard is some stiff competition. Boxes/meat looked great. Nice work all around!!

That is so cool, thanks for the recap! I can't tell you how much I like the idea that they are interested in something that doesn't involve a video game.

Mad respect, Jason. I appreciate you taking us along on the ride... and what an awesome adventure it was!

Best to you and the boys. They crushed it. Safe travels back home.

So awesome! What a great day and story. I just can't get this one thought out of my head... if only they had a better teacher. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Just kidding. You know I love you brother! I can't wait until your tiny humans start competing.

Sorry if I offended anyone but someone's it's hard to contain these stupid thoughts in my head. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back