Standing on the fence. Tell me why I don't want a Lang 84 Deluxe

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I really want your honest opinion folks. I have never owned a reverse flow smoker before, but I have cooked a whole hog a couple of times before on ones that I've rented.

I have found what I thinks to be a good deal on used, 3 year old Lang 84 Deluxe and received some valuable feed back with respect to pricing, etc. Thanks again to all that replied. :thumb:

But now I want your opinions as to versatility in cooking. I am mainly looking at buying this for personal use for large parties, Small Catering jobs, and I might even try a few local comps for fun.

From all of experience tell me why I Don't want to purchase this new toy. Asking price is $ 3,400.00

Thanks, Jed

I guess maybe one could question if you really need that much capacity or if you want a larger cooker that you have to feed sticks too vs a large capacity gravity fed.

I certainly don't need that much capacity nor do I want to tend a stick burner all the time and with my schedule this year and all the weekends taken up by competitions I wouldn't even use it that much....................But if it was that price (and the guy might take less) and if it was near me it would already be in my backyard :becky:. Because even if I didn't use it that much I have wanted to cook on a good stickburner and this bbq obsession is crazy and I want to buy every good deal I see :doh:.

If you got the cash go get it. Sorry that was completely the opposite of what your post was asking :razz:.

I doubt you will get many talking you out of it with this bunch of crazies :crazy:, unless they are going to buy it before you :icon_blush:.

Also if you don't end up using it very much you could more than likely sell it for what you paid for it.

I wouldn't buy it if you don't like feeding a fire once an hour, or don't plan on doing big cooks all the time. My teammate has an 84 that we use for competitions, and it means staying up all night feeding it wood. He also has a BGE that he uses to cook on at home, when he's only cooking for himself.

BUT, it is a great cooker and from what I saw, a great price.

The Lang 84 is great for what you are looking for and describing its use for. Its a popular size for catering, parties, and competitions.

Here's some other thoughts to consider.

What vehicle are you planning to tow it with? Not just in weight capacity, but in other ancillary equipment you want to bring with you? Catering and competitions require you to bring your own supporting equipment. In other words... weight adds up real quick. Will you be using multiple vehicles?

Have gone thru multiple configurations over the years... trying to contain the weight, equipment, vehicle and trailer combinations. What worked for me was containing everything within an enclosed trailer... including the Lang.

Me thinks you've come to the wrong place for said advise.

^^^^:laugh::pound:

If I was not arse deep in brick and mortar, and was that close to me, would probably have a fire in it by now.:becky: :bolt:

Like fnbish stated, you can give it a run and still come out clean on it?

So there is your push from up north.:mrgreen:

I've been eyeballing a 60D lang so, for your bigger use I would jump at that price.

The Lang 84 is great for what you are looking for and describing its use for. Its a popular size for catering, parties, and competitions.

Here's some other thoughts to consider.

What vehicle are you planning to tow it with? Not just in weight capacity, but in other ancillary equipment you want to bring with you? Catering and competitions require you to bring your own supporting equipment. In other words... weight adds up real quick. Will you be using multiple vehicles?

Have gone thru multiple configurations over the years... trying to contain the weight, equipment, vehicle and trailer combinations. What worked for me was containing everything within an enclosed trailer... including the Lang.
I've got an Ford F350 4wd Diesel with Crew Cab. I previously had a trailer mounted wood fired pizza oven that I pulled behind it. I mounted a 6x5x4 walk-in fridge in the bead and loaded generator, extra coolers of ice and additional equipment. So I am all set as far as that goes.

Pulling this

Thanks for the feedback!

Color ... I'm just throwing that out there for you to consider. It really seems to clash with your other toys. :cool:

Do you need:

To increase your output?
To replace an aging member of your family?
Bragging rights?

Any or all of the above?

Personally, my rigs do all I need for home parties. If I were to get involved in competitions, I might be inclined to get a Lang (though I would really like to enter with 4 UDSs and kick some Lang/Klose butt).

I would try to talk you out of it, but I can't at that price.

Cuz you're moving to Chile and shipping would be inconvenient. You should simply buy it and give it to me.:becky:
You slay me!! :laugh: If I like it real good, I'll put in the container and take it with me. Then copy all your cooks for the Chileans to marvel at! I take it you would go for it then Too?

Keep asking; I'm certain you'll find an answer.

In the mean time I'm sending my wife (who happens to be in Daytona this week) to pick it up. One can never have too many Lang 84's!

Seriously, I'll offer the other side. Say for example that it's just too danged big, or you dont like it for this or that reason. Doesn't matter that you're wrong, it's your opinion. Sell the darned thing for $500 profit.

Keep asking; I'm certain you'll find an answer.

In the mean time I'm sending my wife (who happens to be in Daytona this week) to pick it up. One can never have too many Lang 84's!
Thank You for your kindness! :-D
Jed

Seriously, I'll offer the other side. Say for example that it's just too danged big, or you dont like it for this or that reason. Doesn't matter that you're wrong, it's your opinion. Sell the darned thing for $500 profit.
That's what I am thinking too! It's done!

Back