Lang 84 - Opinions?

SmokeyDayz

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I have an opportunity to buy a used, but excellent shape Lang 84 Deluxe with Chargrill. I was wondering if any of you own / have owned one before and had any feedback you would like to share? I've never owned a Lang, but I believe they are a very good brand - most of what I know about them is good stuff. What do you all think?

cooked on one many times. Its a great cooker. Just be prepared to feed it logs every 20-30 minutes. As long as you do not mind feeding the fire, the results are top notch.

They are great cookers. My buddy has an 84 that he uses a good bit and you can fit a ton of food on that thing. If the price is right on a cooker that size I say go for it.

A buddy of mine has one and if you can fill it it will make alot of BBQ but for small cooks you almost have something smaller too .

You need to ask yourself if you need that much real-estate.
If you are only cooking for the family a Lang 84 is way to big of a cooker. I believe the product that comes off the Lang 84 is better when the cooker is filled with a lot of meat as the natural humidity helps the entire process. Heck, if the price is really good you may not worry about anything else and just go for it.

I love my Langs and the 84 holds a ton of meat. We do catering jobs so for me it makes sense. I can tell you that I never use it to cook for the family at home, but I am lucky enough to have other options.

The 84 heats evenly and needs to be fed every 30 minutes. Fire management is easy and the BBQ that comes off the cooker is great. If you are feeling lazy you can get a charcoal basket from XXL Charcoal Baskets. This will by you a few hours burn time before you need to worry about the fire. I've have one and it works great for those times when you need a little shut eye.

No mater what happens, a Lang 84 is a fun toy to have.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Good luck with your decision.

Fully agree with everyone here. If it's a good price, and you can use the real estate, buy it. It'll last forever.

Is it the one near Pittsburgh on Craigslist? That's a great deal. He sent me a bunch of pics. The only reason I didn't get it was because it was so big.

The one listed on Pittsburgh Craigslist is the exact same one that I have.

It's a beast and will turn out some great QUE. I've had 40 Pork Butts on it at one time.
Make sure you have the room for it.

I have one and it is a good cooker but it is not a backyard family cooker. It is a commercial cooker and to justify the wood consumption you need to fill it up. It's designed to run around 250-270- but it can be cranked up by cracking the firebox door

The Langs will do everything Ben Lang says ,then some.Love mine,but I would like a Shirley Fabrication smoker also.

Back