My New Offset from Big Phil's Smokers

Good God those tires! Somebody finally got it right! Looks like an incredibly heavy cooker that you can actually move around in the yard. :clap2:

Good God those tires! Somebody finally got it right! Looks like an incredibly heavy cooker that you can actually move around in the yard. :clap2:

Yep, I intentionally picked 22" tires for that reason. This also makes it easy to roll the smoker in and out of my basement for storage.

Jambo design but better. Great tires, single cooking door and if the firebox door opens to the same side as cooking chamber i would say you have a perfect cooker!!!!

Just writing to update this thread to reflect that I received the missing lug nuts and 1" ball valve from Big Phil today and they are now installed on the smoker.

Phil has been following through on his commitments to remedy the issues.

Writing again here to provide an update that I had a mobile welder come out to my place to fix the weld where the cook chamber was leaking grease down the side of the firebox on the outside.

Phil reimbursed me for the cost of the mobile welder, and with that, the outstanding issues have been resolved to my satisfaction. Kudos to Big Phil for being responsive and getting things addressed!

Writing again here to provide an update that I had a mobile welder come out to my place to fix the weld where the cook chamber was leaking grease down the side of the firebox on the outside.

Phil reimbursed me for the cost of the mobile welder, and with that, the outstanding issues have been resolved to my satisfaction. Kudos to Big Phil for being responsive and getting things addressed!

Glad to hear it is ready to put some work in over the 3 day weekend :-D

Good on him for making things right. That shows his good character and to help make it right with the customer. I'm glad to hear.

Is your top portion of your exhaust removable? You should be able to find a shop to cut down that small little uneven portion of the exhaust with metal cutting band saw. That should be an easy fix if you're having an issue snuffing out the fire with it. Slap it with some touch up paint and you'll be good to go.

It's good he paid for it, but you shouldn't have to be doing any of this. You're spending your time and effort to fix his problems. Some of these items are just unacceptable.

The handle should be a learning for him and a design improvement for all other orders, but the rest is shoddy workmanship. I've scratched them from my consideration list for anything in the future.

Not sure since I haven't ordered an offset but do they test fire them up before shipping them out?
Sometimes things just happen.

Glad things worked out and that he reimbursed you.

Is your top portion of your exhaust removable? You should be able to find a shop to cut down that small little uneven portion of the exhaust with metal cutting band saw...

The stack is removable by removing the 2 bolts where it folds down. However, the damper blocks the flow out the stack enough to sufficiently suit my purposes, which is just to throttle the airflow when I want to. I wouldn't plan to use it to snuff out the fire.

Not sure since I haven't ordered an offset but do they test fire them up before shipping them out?
Sometimes things just happen.

Glad things worked out and that he reimbursed you.

Thanks - I'm not sure what their procedure is, but it looks like mine might have been briefly test fired prior to shipping as there was a bit of what appeared to be ash residue in the firebox when it arrived, and the grates had a thin layer of what appeared to be soot on them, which I noticed when I picked them up.

Smoked some baby backs for lunch...was happy with how they turned out.

qQx3r51.jpg

God Bless Texas and congratulations on fast customer service satisfaction

If the op is happy then I'm good. Not that what we think matters.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Glad he did right by ya. I'm not in the camp of "Send the f'ing thing back." I know what the labor, the blue collar market and it's prospects vs reality. Everyone is dying fer help and we get the gamers booted from mother's basement...f'ing think me jobsites is some 200 year old torture device, I imagine my fellow tradesmen in the welding shops know that as well.
Good on ya fer being reasonable!

-D

Glad you were able to get all resolved. I've been contemplating a Big Phil 150 or 250 for a while. Looking forward to hearing more about how it flows and what you've settled on for maintaining temps, wood burn rate etc.

Biscuit test was quite impressive btw!

Glad he did right by ya. I'm not in the camp of "Send the f'ing thing back." I know what the labor, the blue collar market and it's prospects vs reality. Everyone is dying fer help and we get the gamers booted from mother's basement...f'ing think me jobsites is some 200 year old torture device, I imagine my fellow tradesmen in the welding shops know that as well.
Good on ya fer being reasonable!

-D
Agreed and if anyone considers Big Phil's customer service below average, I'd like to hear what planet they live on.

Just a quick update on my smoker. Y'all may recall the leak between the firebox and cook chamber and the discolored paint on the surface where the firebox is not insulated...so after the mobile welder fixed the cook chamber leak and I verified with a rib cook where there was no leak anymore, I went ahead and painted the discolored wall of the firebox (after surface prepping it by sanding and rubbing down with alcohol) with Krylon 1,200-degree black high heat paint. The results look great, and the after photo below shows the condition after a 12+ hour brisket cook yesterday, so it is holding up great so far.

qsXqX4H.jpg

Back