Looking for Pellet Pooper $500-$700 price range

Another vote for Grilla Grills Silverbac or Chimp. Great company and they are making some serious strides in the BBQ world. Their customer service is top notch and they've had their equipment in the field for a few years now and just about everybody is loving their stuff.

I'm not a pellet guy, but I had their kamado, the Kong, and it was very solid.

If you're willing to spend a little more they have the new PitBoss Platinum series.

I'm not even willing to spend $500... but if that's what I have to do for convenience then so be it.. Here's my thought process.. I have a WSM 18... great but meh not a fan of charcoal cooking. I'm sorry for those who disagree with me but I can taste the charcoal but the royal oak premium seems to be my favorite when it comes to charcoal.

I have a 36x24x24 vertical offset.. I'm running out of wood.. still don't have a wood supplier.. and I only use it when I cook ALOT of food.. I feel like there's no reason to fire up the vertical offset unless i'm loading it up. I don't like firing it up for one or two racks of ribs and I have a masterbuilt electric.. which pretty much is a dedicated sausage/jerky smoker..

I need something that's I can just fire up.. throw food on and cook that doesn't consist of using charcoal.. Pellet pooper looks to be the best option here. I don't care about heavy smoke profile.. as long as I get some smoke flavor i'm good.. I'm pretty set on the Pitboss 1100 if i was going to spend a little extra.

If anyone has pictures of their pitboss 1100 fully loaded please send! Would love to see it open with its max capacity filled.

I picked up a Pit Boss Classic a couple of years ago. Gets used 3-4 times a week. Ribs, chops, steaks, meat loaf, Pretty much everything. It stays under a cover when raining or snowing. I use my Genesis then. Wife has pics of me standing in 6" of that white crap. I don't know about cust. service. Haven't needed it.. Got it for $300. I've tried several brands of pellets and am now using Pit Boss Hickory. Love the convenience. Love the flavor. Very happy with performance. Holds temps +-20*. Have done 13hr cooks. I have pork chops on it right now and in 20min I will go slide the trap door aside and sear them to perfection...

Before jumping on a pooper, take a look at the Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed. Lot of people are getting rid of their poopers and getting this grill. I wholeheartedly recommend this. Best of both worlds

I'm not even willing to spend $500... but if that's what I have to do for convenience then so be it.. Here's my thought process.. I have a WSM 18... great but meh not a fan of charcoal cooking. I'm sorry for those who disagree with me but I can taste the charcoal but the royal oak premium seems to be my favorite when it comes to charcoal.

Just a suggestion, try the BB Char Logs if you don't like any charcoal taste. They burn clean, and little to no added flavor, just a lot of heat. I use these almost exclusively in my MB 560 GF and I add whatever flavor wood chunks for whatever I'm cooking

Just a suggestion, try the BB Char Logs if you don't like any charcoal taste. They burn clean, and little to no added flavor, just a lot of heat. I use these almost exclusively in my MB 560 GF and I add whatever flavor wood chunks for whatever I'm cooking

yeah I'm going for a pellet pooper for sure! I'm sure your suggestions are great! I'm ready to move on with the WSM and go to pellets for convenience. The smoke profile is far from my concern here. I wouldn't mind having foods with a "light" smoke profile.

Still doing some research.. but I feel its just easier/faster for me to drive to lowes and bring home the pitboss 820, or pitboss 1100... I've looked at the other's online, but just the thought of dealing with shipping and stuff. If I find something that just screamed "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS ONE" I'll order something better online.

You are a couple months too late for a great deal. Before Christmas Green Mountain Grills had the entire line of Choice Grills for $499. You could get a Jim Bowie WI-FI for $499.. hell of a deal.

Take another look at the GMG prime series. Chances are they will have a fathers day sale, if you can hold off for that long. Excellent customer service.

Another vote for the Grillagrills Silverbak. I bought the original (w/o as much stainless internals and w/o the pellet dump) for less than $600. Has been a great smoker, producing great food. If you're in WV, you will like the double wall construction of the lower half, to allow easy smoking in cold temperatures.

The lower 1/2 of my Pit Boss doesn't ever get real hot , the upper 1/2 does and that's where you lose most of your heat when Its cold outside, I use a moving blanket over the top when its cold outside. A blanket cuts down the pellet usage , most of the smokers have custom covers if you ever want to go that route. smokers without a smoke stack would require a custom cover so the vents are not blocked.

Another vote for the Grillagrills Silverbak. I bought the original (w/o as much stainless internals and w/o the pellet dump) for less than $600. Has been a great smoker, producing great food. If you're in WV, you will like the double wall construction of the lower half, to allow easy smoking in cold temperatures.

Current price on the original is $649 from their website.. but I'm actually pretty impressed with the silverbak while looking it up online and watching videos on it!

I would vote for a Grilla Grills Silverback. We have a Sliverback and a Chimp and we couldn’t be happier. Their customer service is outstanding. You can’t wrong with Grilla Grills.

I would vote for a Grilla Grills Silverback. We have a Sliverback and a Chimp and we couldn’t be happier. Their customer service is outstanding. You can’t wrong with Grilla Grills.

How much food can fit on a silverback? It looks like u could fit two briskets with a little work on the main grate?

I had the first grilla when it first came out. It was really nice and the support was excellent. I had some issues with it sitting outside for some time and they sent me a lot of parts to fix it at no cost. I wish the finish held up a little bit but the owner, Mark, said they were improving the finishing process (many many years ago).

On that note I like the looks of the recteq and GMG seems to be good. I would like to buy another FEC120 but they have gotten crazy expensive even would like a 240 but I really would benefit from a holding cabinet so I can do multiple things!

If you're buying from a big box retail store consider using (or applying for) a card with a good cashback option - then buy discounted gift cards for the big box store with the credit card and use them to pay for the grill. You should be able to knock at least 10-15% off whatever you buy. Couple that with a sale price and you're doing pretty good.

yeah I'm going for a pellet pooper for sure! I'm sure your suggestions are great! I'm ready to move on with the WSM and go to pellets for convenience. The smoke profile is far from my concern here. I wouldn't mind having foods with a "light" smoke profile.

Still doing some research.. but I feel its just easier/faster for me to drive to lowes and bring home the pitboss 820, or pitboss 1100... I've looked at the other's online, but just the thought of dealing with shipping and stuff. If I find something that just screamed "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS ONE" I'll order something better online.

Just an observation. You will never see "I put my meat in the cooker and went to bed and woke up to cold meat. Is this safe to eat or should I toss" as you will on the multiple pellet grill Cookers. Every weekend. In fact I've departed all pellet sites because they are so repetitive. How do I get more smoke What's the best pellet, I awakened to cold meat is this safe". And customer service.

I'm on my second pellet cooker. 299 for a GMG Davy Crockett and 249 for a Pit Boss Austin XL. Bottom line I wouldn't sell that WSM very quickly.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I'd keep a backup

Back