Latest Cook Adventure

hornbri

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Christmas Eve GF decides she wants briskets for christmas dinner, great I wanted to smoke anyway.

Have to go to FOUR grocery stores before I can find 2 flat both 3.5 pounds and little fat...POOPIE

Wake up Christmas morning and fire up the chimminy, lay some bacon on the grill (to take the place of fat) and get the meat ready.

Fark damm wireless thermometer got left in the rain, ruined.

Well decide to try to use a meat thermometer figure I can estimate how hot the fire is from that. HA!

Two flat our out smoking for about 10 hours FARK this I am drunk and tired. Meat still only at 160. Wrap it and cooler it and Pass out.

Next day, crank the oven up to 300 and throw the meat in there. Figure what the hell its prolly ruined anyway. Let the meat get up to 190 and wrap it up for a few hours.

Fark! it came out pretty good.

Today I took the 2nd flat and chopped it up, threw it in a pot with 3 Fatties (JD Hot) and dozen Japs, lots of peppers and spices and made a mean bowl of Chili.

Sometimes things just work out.

Horn.... That wireless probably isnt wrecked. I have left my Nu-temps out int he rain, the snow, the lawn sprinklers and they always come back to life. Pull the batteries and dry it with a blow dryer, if it doesnt come to life, open the back and pour some rubbing alcohol onto the Circuit board and dry it with a blow dryer on cool or medium. That should revive it. If its the transmitter that got the bath, and the LCD doesnt work, it may still be transmitting.. so check the reciever. if its the reciever thats wet, you may have to let the LCD dry out and that may take a few days, but it will come back gradually.

Today I took the 2nd flat and chopped it up, threw it in a pot with 3 Fatties (JD Hot) and dozen Japs, lots of peppers and spices and made a mean bowl of Chili.
Brisket Chili rules

Yeah, I love me some brisket chili hoss! It sounds like you had a real blast with your latest adventure!

BBQchef33 said:
Horn.... That wireless probably isnt wrecked. I have left my Nu-temps out int he rain, the snow, the lawn sprinklers and they always come back to life. Pull the batteries and dry it with a blow dryer, if it doesnt come to life, open the back and pour some rubbing alcohol onto the Circuit board and dry it with a blow dryer on cool or medium. That should revive it. If its the transmitter that got the bath, and the LCD doesnt work, it may still be transmitting.. so check the reciever. if its the reciever thats wet, you may have to let the LCD dry out and that may take a few days, but it will come back gradually.

Phil's right... Pretty much any battery-powered electronics will recover from getting wet. It depends somewhat on the device and the liquid, but if you give it time to dry out, it should be OK. As you would suspect, sugary liquids like soda are pretty much killers, but if you have the right tools and patience, you can even recover fro these by taking the thing apart and cleaning the pieces of any sticky residue. A friend had his expensive PDA take a beer bath (long story...), and he let it dry for a few days and its still working today!

One caution... Phil's recommendation of using alcohol to dry out any remaining water is good, but check the alcohol carefully. Some products sold as rubbing alcohol contain additives such as lanolin since they are designed for use on human skin. This stuff will only gum up your electronics more. Isopropyl alcohol (I think I spelled that right!?) is the best since it will evaporate cleanly. You can also set the unit near a heat register (If you live in an area where you need heat!) and this will help with the drying. The air coming out of most heat vents don't get hot enough to do any damage.

The brisket chili sound great, BTW... Gotta try that!

As you would suspect, sugary liquids like soda are pretty much killers,
As a sound man for bands for over 15yrs regularly and everyonce in a while since I've seen many Jack and Cokes and a lotta beers spilled on everything from mixer boards to foot-pedal controllers for guitar effects units. If you can get to where the mess is, WD-40 makes an excellent solvent for syrupy coke residue and beer. I've resurrected a lot of "trashed" gear with a can of WD-40 and a box of Q-tips.

Yeah...as I understand it, it often times isn't so much the sugar, but, the carbonic acid in these drinks that can eat up parts of the circuit boards...

At least that's what they told me when I tried getting a panasonic answering machine resurrected after a glass of champagne was spilled down it...

kcquer said:
As you would suspect, sugary liquids like soda are pretty much killers,
As a sound man for bands for over 15yrs regularly and everyonce in a while since I've seen many Jack and Cokes and a lotta beers spilled on everything from mixer boards to foot-pedal controllers for guitar effects units. If you can get to where the mess is, WD-40 makes an excellent solvent for syrupy coke residue and beer. I've resurrected a lot of "trashed" gear with a can of WD-40 and a box of Q-tips.

Good music, good Q. Life doesn't get any better than that.

Back