Dry Pork Chops

my guess you are takeing them too high. I like to pull mine right arround 149 or 150.

Make lots of sweet tea. Have you ever brined pork chops? That would help, and like said before pull them off at 150-155 if good fresh chops. I like them with some smoke. Gotta have a little smoke.

Put them in some Mojo for awhile before cooking. Same idea as brining...

Brining always works for me, or you could make a moist (but precooked) stuffing
for the chops.

Anyway, after brining, meat is way more forgiving to overcooking than non brined meat.

DM

cook them in an egg! heeeeeeeee! :biggrin:

Make lots of sweet tea. Have you ever brined pork chops? That would help, and like said before pull them off at 150-155 if good fresh chops. I like them with some smoke. Gotta have a little smoke.

Brining? ditto

Pull at 150 degrees max? ditto-I never go over 145

Another thought: If you don't have time to brine, and need a higher internal temp to satisfy your target eaters, try substituting Country Style Ribs for the pork chops. The extra internal fat they contain helps keep them moist during cooking, and to me, they taste much better than a dried out loin chop.
my .02

Sorry in advance but don't dry them out! OK I'm a smart aleck but in the day of injected, medicated, pampered food products pork can be cooked medium and I pull my pork chops off with a light pink in the center moist, flavorful, and tender. Just a thought and not a medical person just drove by a holiday inn yesterday.

I don't cook pork chops hardly ever anymore. I cook the boneless pork loin. It is basically the same as a pork chop only no bone. Cook it to 145* internally and it will not be dry. I cook it at 375* in the oven or 275* in my smoker.

I think pork chops can be difficult sometimes. The best ones I have cooked have been about an inch or more thick. Like others have said, pull off before you think they are really done. I don't usually use a thermometer on smaller cuts, but 140-145* is enough. Then put in a cooler of appropriate size and hold for at least 15 minutes to finish cooking through on their own. If it's only the two of you, wrap in foil and place in oven on warm only. I especially like to do this when cooking for others. Get the cooking done, clean up and eat when everyone's ready!

Edit: Also look for some marbling in the meat when selecting your chops. Just as important as above.

I get the thick pork chops when available in our area. We like the 1" thick, bone in type.
Preheat oven to 350 deg.
Large cast iron pan on burner on high. Olive oil in bottom of pan just before putting in chops.
Add chops and let brown on one side. Flip chops, insert polder type cable thermometer and place pan in oven.
Set temp alarm to 145 degrees. When alarm rings, remove pan and foil to rest for 5 minutes.
Serve and the juice runs out of the chops when cutting them.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
get a super fast thermapen and you can use it even on the smaller cuts.

I only buy thick chops (1" or more) then i brine them and cook them like a steak. I sear them directly over the coals and then move to indirect to finish. 150 internal tops. They are always juicy and tender. The thinner chops dry out too fast to control.

Like River City, I use pork loin and slice to the thickness we want. They also sell pork "steaks" here, which are thicker and grill/smoke really well.

Here is a pic of my pork loin the last time I made it. I like to be able to slice it and also have leftovers for sandwiches the next day. One thing too is that you don't pay for a bone that you aren't going to eat either. I haven't had a dry one yet and you won't either as long as you pull it at 145* and foil it or tent it for at least 30 minutes to allow the juices to settle.
PorkLoin002w.jpg

PorkLoin005w.jpg

I learned from my wife's uncle in Iowa that the best way to grill chops is to hydrate them with beer. It can be good beer or cheap beer and I'm sure regular water would work, but pour the liquid on them when you flip them every time. Works GREAT.

Back