Traeger at Home Depot

LloydQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was very surprised today at HD. I saw a couple of Traeger pellet grills. That is the 1st time I had seen one in person. The larger of the 2 was $800, the smaller was $500.

Not to be insulting to those that own them, but they sure looked flimsy to me, especially for that kind of money.

I agree on the perceived lack of quality. The metal seems pretty thin for the price.

Most of their money is going into making info-mercials the rest goes to salaries and whats left buys more made in china cookers IMO

Larry

I don't necessarily have a problem with the way they are built, and they work great. With a computer controlled temperature it is not crucial to have thick metal to retain heat. You have a constant fuel source. I will say though that there are better pellet grills to be had for the same money.

The timberline's are definitely not like the rest of their line though. Those are pretty top notch as far as the build goes. Even with those though, probably better available grills at the same price point.

I literally just got home from putting one together for my father-in-law. It's heavy enough that it won't tip over in the wind I think. The hopper was very heavy and solid. Everything else was.... pretty flimsy. It'll be interesting to see how it does because he's planning to keep it outside with a cover. Ouch.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the way they are built, and they work great. With a computer controlled temperature it is not crucial to have thick metal to retain heat. You have a constant fuel source. I will say though that there are better pellet grills to be had for the same money.

The timberline's are definitely not like the rest of their line though. Those are pretty top notch as far as the build goes. Even with those though, probably better available grills at the same price point.

Totally agree. You can get a similar grill for less or somewhat better construction for similar money but that said, they work well. The computerized design means that the thinner metal has limited impact on performance.

I looked at Traeger's and heard enough stories about their augers that break. I saved my money and bought a MAK which is made in Oregon. Awesome cooker with even better Customer Service.

They are pretty thin metal but I’ve yet to have a problem with mine. It doesn’t cost too much to run and I’m always happy with the food it turns out.

People that run stick burners, haven't done the research and don't really understand pellet grills will think they are flimsy. The reality is that they are flimsy compared to quality stick burners. However, with their built-in electronics, they do not need to be as heavy and thick (solid) to put out a solid product. All cookers have their place, and pellet grills fill a niche in between a wood burner and a kettle.

When I look at a Traeger I am always reminded of growing companies that start to squeeze every penny

Our local Ace Hardware stocks a good selection of Traegers and Green Eggs. Traeger seems to be flooding the market with their product. Just the other day I got a flyer from Cabela’s and they are now selling Traegers in addition to their current line of pellet grills.
Traeger grills do work well and turn out respectable Que.

... However, with their built-in electronics, they do not need to be as heavy and thick (solid) to put out a solid product. .

All well and fine. But.

When those pesky N. Koreans set off that upper atmosphere high yield nuke (or we get a well aimed solar mass ejection) over North America and the resulting EMP you guys with the fancy electronics are going to be left in the dark. Those of us who have steadfastly refused to move past the 19th century will still be munching out, scarcely aware that any disturbance has occurred.

So, well, there's that. :heh:

I looked at Traeger's and heard enough stories about their augers that break. I saved my money and bought a MAK which is made in Oregon. Awesome cooker with even better Customer Service.

Pretty tough to beat a MAK, or a Memphis when it comes to pellet grills.

All well and fine. But.

When those pesky N. Koreans set off that upper atmosphere high yield nuke (or we get a well aimed solar mass ejection) over North America and the resulting EMP you guys with the fancy electronics are going to be left in the dark. Those of us who have steadfastly refused to move past the 19th century will still be munching out, scarcely aware that any disturbance has occurred.

So, well, there's that. :heh:

Or have one each lol.

I own a Traeger Pro 22 and it works really well. The temp holds steady, it creates sweet blue smoke, and produces outstanding BBQ.

Not everyone wants to dump thousands into a grill.

I know more than one happy Traeger owner. I did chuckle when one (arrogant douche) tried to imply I couldn't afford one

thats exactly why i dont have one.. I wanted one for a while and when i finally met one in person, I felt like the metal was just to thin and wasnt the quality I expected. Seemed more along the lines of a charbroil.

I was very surprised today at HD. I saw a couple of Traeger pellet grills. That is the 1st time I had seen one in person. The larger of the 2 was $800, the smaller was $500.

Not to be insulting to those that own them, but they sure looked flimsy to me, especially for that kind of money.

I was cmpletely wrong on the Traeger pricing. My apologies. The larger was $900 and the smaller was $700.

Back