Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Heheheee, no not anything to do with the 60's sci-fi movie or the spinoff TV series.... but I did have an adventure with some bottom feeding critters tonight. I took inspiration from a Lowcountry Boil aka Frogmore Stew but instead of boiling it, I did everything on my Big Green Egg and my Smokey Joe mini WSM Tall Boy, both at a 400° pit temp. So I guess it might be called a Lowcountry Grill.

I marinated the shrimp in garlic, salt, vinegar, lemon juice and a little oil for about an hour before grilling. The clams, mussels and oysters were just scrubbed and left as-is. The other standard editions of corn, sausage and potatoes also came to the party. Garnish was grilled lemon and parsley and condiments were cocktail sauce and hot sauces. Seafood boils are usually served on newspaper and I don't take the local paper :twitch:.... but I did have a two or three year old pile of the KCBS monthly BullSheet, which worked perfectly.

The raw shellfish

dXjIGKX.jpg

Hardshell critters on first

8DrTUHS.jpg

Holding in the Tall-boy

GTRiIaB.jpg

Finishing up the corn and potatoes on the Tall Boy

oCEM8H7.jpg

Meanwhile the shrimp were finishing up on the BGE

17BbOR9.jpg

Then onto the serving tray

hAJmruC.jpg

Seconds before digging in

yabCI5P.jpg

Thanks for looking.......

That looks delicious! I havent ever cooked mollusks on the grill, but I do like to eat them. It would be tasty for sure.

That looks delicious! I havent ever cooked mollusks on the grill, but I do like to eat them. It would be tasty for sure.

Muscles on the grill are my favorite and the easiest to cook, less than 5 minutes to open, try and save the likker when you remove them. Clams take just a little longer. When I was a little boy my Grandfather would buy Gulf oysters right off the boat and either grill them whole or shuck them and cook on the half shell. Both are good. Regretfully only two of my oysters opened, so they missed the boat so to speak. Here is the half shell prep: butter, lemon, hot sauce, onion or what ever you like. Then onto a hot grill until they are where you like them.

IfXviNW.jpg

UvmWbZa.jpg

Back