THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

there i go thinking up things to make the decision hard for me again.

i read kingsford changed their formula slightly. their bags are now 18.6 lbs instead of the old 20. and the briquettes are now a tiny bit smaller and more efficient?

didnt noah do his testing with the old formula kingsford?

did this new kingsford briquettes affect the lighting instructions and temp control etc? im sure its not a big deal though, just change a couple things here and there and the pbc still perform the same way.

His original testing was the older kingsford but my understanding is he uses KBB all the time so I'm sure he's using the new.
I've not noticed a noticeable temp difference with any charcoal honestly. I've used KBB, Stubbs, Kingsford Aople, Kingsford Hickory, and even briquettes with some lump mixed in. I'm always in a comfortable temp range for me.

man i was set on the pk grill but the ease of temp control and cleanup on this thing. that and you dont need to fill the whole charcoal basket for a smaller cook like you showed probably took this one over the top.

oh, and also i always stock up on the $10 for two 18-20lbs bags of blue kingsford sales. i have 10 bags in the garage. thie pbc should be a no brainer for me and im not sure why i dont pull the trigger now. ill force myself to choose one of the two tonight.

Take it from a old man that's has cooked on about everything over the years....you won't be sorry !!!

From what I know of the PK grill, the PBC is quite a different cooker. Do you have a dedicated grill? What will you be cooking mostly on whichever you purchase?

I have a weber kettle that I love as well. It's my grill/searer. I smoke on it too, but most of that duty is done on the PBC. I'll do reverse sears on the kettle as well but I also like reverse searing using the PBC where I do the slow cook on the PBC then sear it on the kettle. You can grill on the PBC too but I haven't ever done it so I'm not sure of the results.

From what I know of the PK grill, the PBC is quite a different cooker. Do you have a dedicated grill? What will you be cooking mostly on whichever you purchase?

I have a weber kettle that I love as well. It's my grill/searer. I smoke on it too, but most of that duty is done on the PBC. I'll do reverse sears on the kettle as well but I also like reverse searing using the PBC where I do the slow cook on the PBC then sear it on the kettle. You can grill on the PBC too but I haven't ever done it so I'm not sure of the results.

i have a lodge sportsman for very small cooks.

i was thinking of getting the pk grill and be done with it. grill and low and slow, a do everything grill.

then i discovered the pbc.

i started thinking for roughly the same cost as the pk, i can get a pbc and a weber jumbo joe which i think is a great combo.

its hard to choose which option. i want to buy only once so ive been stuck on this for weeks hehehe.

i have a lodge sportsman for very small cooks.

i was thinking of getting the pk grill and be done with it. grill and smoke, a do everything grill.

then i discovered the pbc.

i started thinking for roughly the same cost as the pk, i can get a pbc and a weber jumbo joe.

its hard to choose which option

Ah! Well I'd get the PBC and the weber. :thumb: But that's really close to my setup so I might be a little biased!

New Hinged Grate

I received the hinged grate today. I think it's gonna work out great for me. Basically you cook on one side if you want full use of the grate or flip it and allow it to open if you wanna hang and grate cook at the same time. I like the design. When you flip it the center bar will act as a small ridge to help prevent food from falling off. I'm gonna get some carriage bolts and make a stacker grate for my kettle with the original PBC grate. Here are some pics I took just to show how it works.

Attachments

• 20151110_180048.jpg
    20151110_180048.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20151110_180056.jpg
    20151110_180056.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20151110_180114.jpg
    20151110_180114.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 235
I like it...Andrew you can us that stacker grate on the PBC. Then you could pile the wangs on !!!

Yeah I thought about that too. I was trying to see if it would work for other meats but I think wings would be the only thing I could cook in a stack. Now if I found a domed lid that would fit that would be a whole different story. Lol

I'm not really interested in that though (other than wings). I like smoking on my kettle too. The indirect cook with no drippings gives a different flavor than the PBC. I like both. I'm sure it's similar to the guys who cook on a wsm. Making a stacker will let me smoke more food in my kettle when I get the urge for that "flavor".

With regards to the turkey hanger....JMO but I'd rather hang spatchcock just so they cook faster and more even. Sure a whole bird might look better for presentation purposes but a filleted bird should cook better, faster.

If I was doing the Norman Rockwell birds though they would be hung whole...can't wait to see some good hung turkeys! Gobble gobble!

Back