Weekend cook 11/10-11/12

Well I was going to have some pron, but when I went to get the camara the crew dug in to grub. Wasn't much left to photogragh. I cooked a big ol' chuck roast, taters and carrots in dutch oven over open fire. Damn it came out good, hardly enough left over for sammich.

Going to try my hand at fatties today. Hope my old pit can handle one more fire up.

Pic Tease

tommykendall said:
me too. 22 years today.
Congrats TK.

8 years for me.

Had an awesome time.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Tower versus the Courtyard suites RonL. I think we were the 2nd or 3rd guest at best since the rennovation. Extremely new, while the Courtyard area was still stuck in 1976.

Saw Jason Robinson at Zanies Comedy Club. That guy is funny. Haven't laughed like that in a while. You get a chance to see him, do it. We were front row center, and were part of the act for both comedians.

Saw the movie "The Departed". Anyone not seen it, git to it, before its off the wide screen. Jack Nicholaus, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Leonardo DeCaprio, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, and others, all brought to a Martin Scorsece (sp) best. Awesome.

But, alas, this thread is about food.

Dropped good coin on good food.

I started with Lager soup and the wife had lobster bisque. It was a marriage made in heaven. The chef somehow combined two great things, beer and soup, and made it something that is indescribably awesome. Over the top by adding apple smoked crumbled bacon bits and scallions to it. It was an orgasm in a bowl. Wife liked the bisque too.

2 small half loaves of bread, one whole grain, one parlsy-garlic-thyme-oregano all made same day fresh served hot, with a scoop of regular FRESH butter on the side, and one scoop of butter with cinnamon spice. Holy chit was that stuff good.

Drinks came. Place is known for their infusion martini's. Take Absolut Vodka, and infuse them with flavor, and left sit for a minimum of 14 days.

I had apple spice, and my wife had pineapple. $7.50 each and worth every red cent.

Main course was an 8oz fillet, garlic mashed for me, wife had this shrimp pasta thing. I order my filets medium well as both a preference, and a test. Very few restaurants can hit medium well. Ruth's Chris missed last month, and Sullivans misses almost all the time. This place (Harvest, Pheasant Run in St.Charles) was spot in. Outside peppercorn crust with a slight char, 1/4" in was "well", then varying degrees of doneness over the 2" of filet to get to the middle which is pink with NO bood.

It was Perfect!

So its burgers tonight to finally snap out of my 2 day food coma, but a great time we had indeed.

Congrats again TK, and Q-Egg, I laid enough pipe to keep me happy for weeks.

Plumbing mod

(Again, thanks RonL, your rec really made the difference. I coulda save $80, but had a terrible time)

"So its burgers tonight to finally snap out of my 2 day food coma, but a great time we had indeed.

Congrats again TK, and Q-Egg, I laid enough pipe to keep me happy for weeks."

Plumbing mod

Thanks for not sharing pics!:shock:

willkat98 said:
Check PM :twisted:

Oh geeez. I got out of Chicago just in time!:biggrin:

Just finished cooking some boneless shortribs on the last couple coals left in the WSM from my virgin brisket cook last night. They weren't quite done so I've now thrown them into a pot with crushed tomatoes, a can of guiness and some seasoning and am going to let it cook slowly the rest of the evening. Hopefully it will make a nice pasta sauce...

Wine & Swine said:
Oh geeez. I got out of Chicago just in time!:biggrin:

Just finished cooking some boneless shortribs on the last couple coals left in the WSM from my virgin brisket cook last night. They weren't quite done so I've now thrown them into a pot with crushed tomatoes, a can of guiness and some seasoning and am going to let it cook slowly the rest of the evening. Hopefully it will make a nice pasta sauce...

Ooops. That was actually a post by me, not W&S. John came over for some brisket and hadn't logged out. I'm sure he'd love to see pix of you laying pipe, Bill!:mrgreen:

OK I'm officially ticked off! :mad: My brisket and ribs turned out farking AWESOME! Why am I ticked? Because they both were better than any I've done all season competing. :roll: Ribs had great flavor and came off the bone just right and were actually meaty (these were the enhanced ones I froze because I didn't want to cook 'em at the last Columbia contest). The brisket pulled apart just right, had a pretty decent smoke ring that contrasted in color nicely with the best bark we've done all year. And it was moist and didn't have that "roast beef" flavor I was so famous for all fall long! :roll: I filled the WSM this morning at 5am and did the Minion method and never had to light a chimney of charcoal again. Just tossed a few chunks of wood in every so often. As of 6:30 pm tonight after the Broncos game, I went out and even in this cold weather, it was STILL at 184 degrees! Still had a third of a bag of charcoal left! That was SWEET! Here's the results...

Attachments

• ribs_done.jpg
    ribs_done.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 91
  • brisket_done_1.jpg
    brisket_done_1.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 90
  • brisket_done_2.jpg
    brisket_done_2.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 89
  • whats_for_dinner.jpg
    whats_for_dinner.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 89
That is some gorgeous grub there Jeff. Maybe next year you could just turn in pictures of it, instead of cooking.:-D

Seriously, that is great looking stuff.

Thanks! And that's ALL I ate! hehe! Felt guilty even with that. Oh well, one meal a week isn't gonna hurt.

Oh and one other thing I forgot... the brisket I was cooking today was to be brisket chili for a chili contest NEXT weekend. So at church this morning, I find out that chili contest was TODAY! FARK!!!!!!!! Screwed the pooch on that one! Good thing I hadn't paid yet.

Happy Anniversary Brother Bill...oh, to keep on topic; brisket flat, sausage on saturday, and i grilled some T-bone steaks today.

Brisket looks great, Jeff!

I ended up with 1 turkey, 3 turkey breasts, a fatty, an armadillo egg and the front and hind quarters of a small deer which was soaked in red wine with peppercorns, rosemary and celery overnight. I took the hind quarters to 130 and rested, and the front quarters to 190, rested and pulled. It all came out really good. Then my wife made 12 quarts of smoked turkey stock today... GREAT stuff! Oh, I also made yeast rolls, getting ready for Tday and figuring out how to bake. I'll have photos tomorrow.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Thanks! And that's ALL I ate! hehe! Felt guilty even with that. Oh well, one meal a week isn't gonna hurt.

Oh and one other thing I forgot... the brisket I was cooking today was to be brisket chili for a chili contest NEXT weekend. So at church this morning, I find out that chili contest was TODAY! FARK!!!!!!!! Screwed the pooch on that one! Good thing I hadn't paid yet.

Whats them funny lookin green thangs in the last pic?

Looks good Jeff

I see them pics, and I am tempted to say I'd rather been there.

Hmmmm.....

If you said "brisket" I would have passed, but your pictures.....

Sorry,,,,, I still need to lay the pipe :)

Great thread

Good weekend for all

willkat98 said:
(Again, thanks RonL, your rec really made the difference. I coulda save $80, but had a terrible time)

I'm always glad to help spend other people's money! In fact, I'm an expert at it! :-D

Glad you had a nice weekend!

Congrats to the anniversary people. My oldest daughter got married this weekend, so I didnt cook, but ate well. Jeff, your pictures will be printed on my HP color printer and served for supper tonite! Ill sprinkle some Spicewine Hen and Hog dust on the paper, but it wont be the same as being there. Great looking grub everyone.

9 for appereance on the brisket Jeff...I could almost give a nine for tenderness as well.

Back