ham bone

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
what to do with my ham bone from todays cook. no pea soup so what else? recipes?

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Serve with corn bread in the cast iron, onion wedges on the side.....you will stay warm all winter...really!!!

Now that brings back some memories. When I was a kid my mom used to fix pintos and corn bread.

We would put a big hunk of corn bread in a bowl and spoon the pintos on top of that. Hunks of onion on the top of the whole thing. Oh man that was good eats.

YES! I vote of pintos (anti-hijack mod)

Can't believe I forgot this part......FRIED POTATOES ARE A MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wifey mixed up a creamed spinach soup the other day with our ham bone from turkey day. That was some farkin good chit!

pea soup or not, make a stock and freeze it if you have to. soups saces and gravies are always begging for a real stock.

what to do with my ham bone from todays cook. no pea soup so what else? recipes?
Hoppin John.

Stock and freeze it

Glad I saw this thread, I am going to try ham stock instead of chicken stock in my rice dressing this year. I always hate throwing the bone away, but forgot that the stock could be frozen for later use.

Beans

Great white northern........and I've heard ribs make a good stock for rice and beans, before you put them on the grill:eek::twisted:

Cuban black bean soup

Make it spicey! BTW I got a shopping bag full of nice big hot cherry peppers waiting for you.

Agree with Markb Great Northern or small white beans with corn bread or bisquits. MMMMM:icon_bigsmil

navy bean with lots of chunks of ham in it. mmmm..good

put it in a big ole pot full of collard greens!! add some texas pete hot sauce and whostershire sauce!! YUMMY!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Just don't put any chili in your beans. Nothing ruins good beans like chili.

here's my pooter shooter pinto recipe- just add the hambone too.

3lbs pintos(cleaned & rinsed-get all the splits & rocks out)
1 whole bulb smoked & mashed garlic
1 can mild or medium(your heat level)rotel tomatos
1/2 yellow onion-diced
a couple tbsp fiesta fajita spice
2 tbsp comino(ground cumin)
1/2 chunked fatty & or seared brisket tips or fat

cover w/ 6" of cold water & bring to a boil.
drop to a simmer & cover stirring occassionally for 6-8 hrs or until you have a good "gravy"
add water if neccessary while simmering
(best bet is cook the day before & reheat)

Back