:cool: PBJ has arrived in San Diego.

t9bD0I8h.jpg

Gotta love San Diego! So many beers to choose from to have with BBQ. Go get some Victory at Sea from Ballast Point, great way to greet the new year.

I've got 2 PBC experiments gettin loaded up right now:

1. gonna give the PBC skewers a test run with some simple ranch chicken kabobs. I'll post pics and impressions.

2. gonna try the GrillGrates on the PBC for a steak. I know it doesn't get hot enough but I'm going to try to get the PBC as hot as possible and see if I can get any kind of decent sear using them. Maybe a wast of a decent ribeye, but experimenting is fun. We'll see...

Here is my victim. 1.4# ribeye from Walmart. Can't go Carne Crosta since I'm certain the necessary heat just won't be there to let that rub reach its potential. And I don't have enough faith in this experiment to go S&P alone. So I'm using Montreal to try to get it over the hump.
INBnZ0gl.jpg

Hooked. First impression of the skewers is that they are solid and easy to work with. My main impression is that the meet feels much more secure than the last skewers I used. They're not going anywhere. Not that they could slide of anyway, but they also aren't going to slide into each other. You can position them in whatever spacing you desire and I think they'll stay right there. I think it's bc of the v-shape of the skewers.
XflSU6dl.jpg

hooked the ribeye too. Perhaps this works better on grate? I don't think it'll fall--won't get that tender, I think. I'm confident the PBC can give good flavor. Just concerned about the searing coming up...

KC- Very interested to see how this all turns out!

Did a fun butt cook with wings, brats and a naked fatty for NYE. Received a decent knife for Christmas so I decided to test it out by completely removing the fat cap on the butt. Glad to say that there was not a negative impact from doing so, the pork was as juicy and tender as always plus I increased by bark real estate. Will most likely remove the fat cap every time moving forward.

KC- Very interested to see how this all turns out!

Did a fun butt cook with wings, brats and a naked fatty for NYE. Received a decent knife for Christmas so I decided to test it out by completely removing the fat cap on the butt. Glad to say that there was not a negative impact from doing so, the pork was as juicy and tender as always plus I increased by bark real estate. Will most likely remove the fat cap every time moving forward.

Sounds like a great cook, BK. Way to ring it in!

So the skewers are as good as advertised. Nothing amazing or revolutionary. They're skewers, so how exciting can they be? But I do like the quality, the design, the confidence the skewers give that what I put on there will stay exactly the way I position them. Easy. Good. I'm glad they were given to me as a gift.

Back