I have joined Team Weber: and I have questions

Nice rig!!

I love my 26. Got rid of my kamado and don't miss it at all. In a nutshell the kettle is more versatile, easier to use and up there with temp responsiveness as the kamado. Easier to move around and less chance of breaking it, dealing with the seals etc....

I would definitely get the SnS. I use the SnS about 98% of the cooks. I actually quit using the vortex because I got just as good if not better wings and chicken in general with the SnS. Not knocking on the vortex at all but after the SnS I have no use for he vortex. You can definitely go with a regular SnS instead of the XL. I got in on a sale and picked the 22 sns deluxe for $50-60. IMHO the difference is very minimal. If it's one thing I'd recommend highly it is he Slow N Sear deluxe.

These are some grill fried wings using the SnS from some time ago. Crispy just like the vortex. Pic is of the 22" but same results in the 26 obviously.

uZB7ZGIh.jpg

BdZXpskh.jpg

As far as drip pans, I ordered the drip pan for the 26 and turned out back then it was the same size as the 22 drip pan. Bummer because what is the point when I can't catch all the drippings like I did in the 22. Apparently now they make the larger size pans but if you're using to catch drippings only don't waste your money. I have been using HD aluminum foil cut to size to cover all of the bottom. After cooks I just fold and toss it away. I hate gunk and grease and especially chicken grease. Also works a nice shield like the drip pan.

Pertaining to the easy spin grate, the 26 already comes with a solid stainless steel grate to begin with. I'd rather get something else. I picked one up but only because I'm building a 26 cart and didn't have a grate for the new one and SnS was no brainer as it's solid and cheaper than getting one from Weber or anyone else.

I'll do a write up soon but here is my 26 cart I'm just about finished with

KZwqD4jh.jpg

Good stuff. Really appreciate the feedback

You'll love it the more you use it. The 26" is my go to cooker.

Funny thing is I got away from kettles some years ago, got all kinds of other grills and smokers but came back to the kettle as my go to and loved it even more the second time around. Only shocker was that prices went up and with an accessory or two you're close to a grand. Especially now and especially the 26's as they're not readily available used. :shocked:

I can see that. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the aprimo but I am not too stubborn.

A word on the chicken wings. Totally awesome. Krispy skin and tender inside. More of a grilled flavor than smoked but I am fine with that. I tossed the wings in a garlic and herb compound butter. The best grilled wings I have had or made. Exactly what I was looking for. To be honest the compound butter was a game changer.

The SnS arrives tomorrow and look forward to checking it out but that will come later. I plan on using the Santa Maria a lot this weekend. Prime Tri Tip Saturday and likely a bunch more chicken on Sunday.

Last edited:
Okay I am on to round 2. Starting with a larger bed of charcoal. Burned down some mesquite splits. Dry brined some chicken thighs for next weeks lunches. Lost track of time and my wife called asking what time the trip tip will be done. Damn it is 4:15. Chicken will have to wait and tri tip is on over the fire.

Replaced gaskets on the Primo. Fire box is in sad shape.

Slow n Sear was delivered today. It will debut tomorrow in a head to head against the Rec Tec cooking some country style ribs. Was going to cook on the Primo but want the adhesive for the new gasket to have enough time to cure. Was a little lazy on the prep and need all the time I can muster

Attachments

• F241EC1D-430F-4876-8D1D-58A0E9FBC9E4.jpg
    F241EC1D-430F-4876-8D1D-58A0E9FBC9E4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 42
Really behind. Finished at around 130-135. Decent Maillard reaction crust from the flames. Seared a little but didn’t want to over do it. Plenty of learning to do to dial it in but as it is I like it so far.

Chicken thighs on.

Attachments

• 01E356A1-BB7F-4F3C-8564-1863C1631A25.jpg
    01E356A1-BB7F-4F3C-8564-1863C1631A25.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 40
  • DC2A712F-BC4D-4E0C-9514-8642E6E24757.jpg
    DC2A712F-BC4D-4E0C-9514-8642E6E24757.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 40
imho the slow and sear is way over priced..... just do this instead. https://youtu.be/lb-BLQok6-o

Funny you mention this. I ran across this awhile ago and thought I’d try it. I also have a slow n sear for my summit kamado (it’s shorter than a regular slow n sear). After using them both, I prefer my homemade one over the slow n sear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Funny you mention this. I ran across this awhile ago and thought I’d try it. I also have a slow n sear for my summit kamado (it’s shorter than a regular slow n sear). After using them both, I prefer my homemade one over the slow n sear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i bought a used 30.00 kettle premium and was on a quest to make a cheap cooker. i told kent, (daddy dutch) and he told me to do this... i ordered aftermarket baskets from amazon, did this in about 10 minutes and that included getting out the tools.... lol.. it works perfectly.... he is a great guy and is always very helpful.

Back