Just the way it is

lastmajordude

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dude
I’m an ole dude now and you would think I would be settled on my cooking equipment but I’m not. My Hunsaker drum cooks great but the charcoal basket is too heavy to clean ash and add coals often with my screwed up neck. Sold my Used Jambo because it was too hard to move and not enough room for a trad offset (prob should have forked out for quality golf tire setup). Weber kettle is good but just want something a little better. No I don’t like green egg type cookers. I need a quality vertical offset stick burner. Also a quality grill with adjustable charcoal grate lever adjustments. Just whining I know but has any other old dudes faced this situation? Hope all is well with you dudes and dudette.

Lonestar Grillz has several vertical offset sizes you can get on golf cart tires (Off-Road package). I just received my large IVS from LSG with offroad package and I can easily move it from garage to back patio, but do have to put a little momentum and oomph into it to get it over the 2" vertical lip that goes from the carport, over a dirt potion I have 14"x14" concrete pavers down on, and onto back patio. About like pulling a manual pallet dolly of half a load of hydraulic buckets if you've ever done that before.

I'm with Maylar- what is your "normal cook"? Do you need something that will cook for a ton of people OR just want something that can (and there's nothing wrong with that)? You like the drum, but that Hunsaker basket is built like a tank- it could be a back killer. If you are open to downsizing, maybe an 18.5" WSM (or the Oklahoma Joe Bronco) would be just thing.

old guys have gone to pellets.........

ouch! Not me,not yet. Shirley 36x80 gets it done.She looks sexy too.Truthfully,I use the Weber 26,Blackstone 20 something with 2 burners and my Weber 22 WMS most of the time.BUT,,,,,,,,,None of them turn out the quality food the Shirley does.I just don’t do the large cooks like I used to.I still fire it up if I want top notch vittles though.

Last edited:
I see the possibility of gravity fed charcoal smoker in your future.
Old Country or Masterbuilt?

Back