By the way, we were discussing using lump in the PBC a few days ago. I've got mine rolling right now with 100% lump in the coal basket, but the starter coals were 100% KBB. I let the KBB ash over as usual and dumped on the lump (Western), then put the lid on pretty quick. (Didn't give it the usual full minute or so to get going)

Temp went over 300 initially, but once I put on 3 racks of ribs the temp came down into the 250's and stayed there. I wanted to hurry things up at the 2 hour mark, so I cracked it for just a minute or two, which caused a gradual rise in temp into the 270's.

I think it's worth noting that cracking the lid when using lump seems to get you a rise in temp that stays put, as opposed to the somewhat temporary rise I get when using briqs. I usually have to repeatedly crack it every once in awhile to goose the temp when using only briqs.

Maybe more info than is helpful, but here's the graph. No time stamp on the graph; this is about 3 hours of the cook, missing the first part. (I didn't start up my Smoke Gateway until 90 minutes into starting up the cooker) Here's how she was rolling with just lump in the basket.
RNiVfJ1l.png

Yep. I'm enjoying the results. I'm finding that lump on the PBC isn't too tough to control, but lump in my slow n sear has been a beast that I haven't tamed. (separate thread, just sayin)

You're way overdue for a new cooker dads so help us revive it. :becky:

On second thought, waiting on you it will go dead. Never mind. :thumb:
I'm just waiting for one of my kettles to wear out. Then I'll have grates to build a UDS.:becky:

This got me second place to Sako (who else?) in the PBC Throwdown, which I believe was held to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the PBCAT. Everything was cooked on the PBC.

Attachments

• IMG_20160522_184843627.jpg
    IMG_20160522_184843627.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 171
Last November I made a rack of lamb ribs and it has probably been my favorite meal out of my PBC. It wasn't as rare as it seems in this picture. Honorable mention in my PBC goes to bacon, pastrami, duck, and of course pork ribs. I once even heard my father-in-law say to someone else, "Jeff makes the best ribs I ever had". I was pretty happy with that

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_153003.jpg
    IMG_20171118_153003.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 141
Attaboy, Jeff! Haven't tried PBC lamb yet; wife doesn't care for it. But I know it's supposed to be incredible.

I once even heard my father-in-law say to someone else, "Jeff makes the best ribs I ever had". I was pretty happy with that

And this is what BBQ is all about for me. All the time and effort to get comments like that from friends and family is what motivates me to improve my game and study posts here and ask questions.

This site is the best.

I've got a PBC and WSM. I find the pork butts, beef ribs, and briskets turn out better on the WSM. But, so far, pork ribs and chicken are better on the PBC. Keeping both. But doing a rack of spares no wrap on the WSM tomorrow to be sure. :)

New Owner

After reading and reading, I bought a PBC and it was delivered Wednesday. I made some quick cedar plank salmon on Thursday, and today I'm trying a brisket. It's a small one - right at 10 lbs pre-trimmed. Got it at Costco like I usually do. It's a Prime cut. It has a small point on it, but I didn't want to go big the first time out of the gate.

I currently live in Las Vegas, so I set the vent to 1/2 open. Temp got up to almost 350. Then I realized that my house is only at 2,500 elevation, so I throttled that back and I'm down to around 310 at the moment. It's also sunny and hot (big surprise right) which is keeping the heat up as well. Once it gets down under 300 I'll work on stabilizing it.

I bought some wood chunks but decided to hold off the first time. I also like to cook briskets without foil or paper, so we will see how that goes. I'm going to use my Bradley OBS with Auber PID to hold at 140 after venting.

I'll post pictures when everything is done. Shouldn't take long, given the temp and small size

So my PBC should be here on Tuesday the 31st and I would like your opinion as to what should be my maiden voyage. I moved to just north of Dallas from eastern NC within the last year so, I love NC bbq and TX brisket. I was thinking about a couple of pork butts or a brisket. Which would be easier for a PBC virgin?

So my PBC should be here on Tuesday the 31st and I would like your opinion as to what should be my maiden voyage. I moved to just north of Dallas from eastern NC within the last year so, I love NC bbq and TX brisket. I was thinking about a couple of pork butts or a brisket. Which would be easier for a PBC virgin?

Chicken!

Can’t screw up pork butt. I’d go that route if you’re not doing chicken. But you’re now obligated to take pics of the maiden cook.....:p

Can’t screw up pork butt. I’d go that route if you’re not doing chicken. But you’re now obligated to take pics of the maiden cook.....:p

I have a couple of butts in the freezer. For years I have been cooking them overnight in the oven and then finishing them the next morning in a pan on a weber 22 with a smidge of charcoal and hickory chips after I chopped them up. Made some decent eastern NC bbq that way but I want to kick it to a whole new level. Hence the PBC.

Back