What to do with brisket now that party is cancelled

filla_dilla

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I purchased a prime packer from Costco for a party this weekend but due to weather, the party is cancelled. There are 2 adults and 2 kids in my house so not sure what to do with so much meat beyond freezing it for when we have folks over for dinner. Interested in your thoughts.

Brisket, allowed to cool so the fat takes a bit of a set vac seals very well and comes out of the freezer tasting like the day you made it.

If you do your part and produce a good one that's not dry I think it tastes better after being under vacuum the flavor is so good.

We package about 2 pounds or so to each bag and it sure is nice over the winter months to be able to put a brisket meal on the table in just a few minutes when your hungry for it.

Put a pot of water to boiling, drop the vac pack in and turn the burner off and it will come right up to temp for you ready to serve while your doing the side dishes.

Food Saver FTW. There's two of us so there's always brisket, pulled pork, ribs etc left over. It gets sealed in Food Saver bags and will keep in the freezer nearly forever.

When chicken goes on sale for $2.90/10 lb bag I buy two, grill them up and portion/freeze them.

Cook that sucker up whole, eat some fresh, then seal up smaller portions for other meals like tacos, chili, sandwiches, pizza, etc.

I cook whole packers for just our family all the time and the leftover go into so many things. Most weeks if I cook one we eat brisket in meals a few days directly in a row and the variety of dishes keeps it interesting and no one tires of it.

Last edited:
I never heard of too much brisket and it will get eaten in two days in my home . Could take it to work to share or with neighbors too .

Definitely vacuum seal, it will keep. Slice some and cube some for chili or stew.

Brisket chili, brisket nachos, brisket tacos, chopped bbq brisket, brisket egg and cheese sandwich, brisket quesadilla, brisket omelette....

Get it?

If you haven't cooked it yet and it's still in the original vac pack, you should be able to just leave it in the fridge for a couple weeks without issue. I usually leave mine in there 3 to 4 weeks before cooking them, when I have the forethought to do so. AKA wet aging.

If it's already been cooked, then what everyone else said.

If it is cryovac and kept in Fridge you can refreeze You can also cook it and divide it up for meals and keep some to tacos, nachos, and chili

Send it to me. I'll dispose of it for you!
Cook it up then make pastrami, corned beef, corned beef hash...
Freeze some for a random BBQ sandwich lunch day

My wife and I are empty-nesters and I often cook a packer for just the two of us; we vacuum pack and freeze the leftovers. Just remember not to slice the flat before freezing. If you don't want to cook it and it's still in the cryovac, freeze it for the next party. I always keep a packer or 2 in the freezer.

Brisket/Wet Aging

If you haven't cooked it yet and it's still in the original vac pack, you should be able to just leave it in the fridge for a couple weeks without issue. I usually leave mine in there 3 to 4 weeks before cooking them, when I have the forethought to do so. AKA wet aging.

If it's already been cooked, then what everyone else said.

Hi What does Wet Aging do for a Brisket.Would it make my flats more juicy?
Thanks DanB

Dude. leave it in the fridge overnight then vac pac. Freeze the packs. You are good for 4 years frozen. Just the Wife and I now so enough for two.

i2mt6o.jpg

Back