The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Anybody try these yet? Knottywood pellets. They say @ Home Depot. Sounds different. https://knottywoodbbq.com

It looks like they come in plum and almond wood. I've used both plum and almond wood chunks in my vertical cabinet smoker. Both kinds of wood generate extremely mild smoke flavor. They work well with fish and chicken, but I would never use the wood for beef or pork. Worth a try, but I would not be surprised if the smoke would be too mild in a pellet smoker.

Haha, look how solid that door is when he goes to shut it. You can see him have to muscle it from slamming. Looks like an incredible grill.

I would have gotten in line if I lived near Houston. But since Outlaw is just 20 minutes from my house and is also made of heavy gauge steel I decided to buy local.

I am very happy to say that MAK and I are working on my issue. They went high and above to help me. So I want to say thank you to Caleb and Josh@MAK for reaching out.

Very glad to hear, buddy! Wouldn’t expect anything less from the MAK crew :)

I would have gotten in line if I lived near Houston. But since Outlaw is just 20 minutes from my house and is also made of heavy gauge steel I decided to buy local.
Hell yeah, if there was a company that was local to me that built a solid grill I would go local also. Nothing wrong with that grill, it actually is a good looking grill. I actually like that Outlaw cabinet smoker you posted. My dream smoker is an Ole Hickory, I don’t know where I would put it, but I have wanted one for years and almost bought one last year (The Ace model) but pulled back on that, but will get one someday when we move to our retirement home. I have had a thought of getting a small cabinet style smoker, was looking at a gravity fed, but the pellets look interesting. Cookshack has one and the Outlaw you posted looks interesting. The guy on the Pitmaster show uses a cookshack, Butcher BBQ (Dave). I was surprised to see him using it because he kicks @ss. I have seen him winning other BBQ comps other than the TV show. Curious, do you have a picture of the inside of your Outlaw? Wanted to see the mechanism and fire pot, if you got a minute. Thanks Dave.

Last edited:
I am very happy to say that MAK and I are working on my issue. They went high and above to help me. So I want to say thank you to Caleb and Josh@MAK for reaching out.

I’m happy to learn this Dave!!!

Hell yeah, if there was a company that was local to me that built a solid grill I would go local also. Nothing wrong with that grill, it actually is a good looking grill. I actually like that Outlaw cabinet smoker you posted. My dream smoker is an Ole Hickory, I don’t know where I would put it, but I have wanted one for years and almost bought one last year (The Ace model) but pulled back on that, but will get one someday when we move to our retirement home. I have had a thought of getting a small cabinet style smoker, was looking at a gravity fed, but the pellets look interesting. Cookshack has one and the Outlaw you posted looks interesting. The guy on the Pitmaster show uses a cookshack, Butcher BBQ (Dave). I was surprised to see him using it because he kicks @ss. I have seen him winning other BBQ comps other than the TV show. Curious, do you have a picture of the inside of your Outlaw? Wanted to see the mechanism and fire pot, if you got a minute. Thanks Dave.

Here are a few pics. Let me know if you want to see anything else, or something from another angle.

If you couldn’t spend more than $2K all-in (including potential shipping charges), what pellet grill would you pick?

I used to have the original RecTec, it was great, never had an issue, didn’t have a lot of smoke flavor.

What I’m looking for:
- Decent smoke flavor. I have a Drum I’ll use for most smoking, but want to have the pellet as a good back up option, or if I run out of room on the Drum
- Capable of grilling/searing. I’m going to get rid of my gasser and replace with this pellet
- Max budget $2K (so don’t tell me a Mak)
- Main cooking grate needs to at least be 22” wide
- Ideally American made
- WiFi capable would be great
- Easy to clean ash pot (my old RecTec was a PITA to take apart to clean)
- Pellet Dump
- Low Pellet Alert is a nice to have (in case I drink too much and forget to reload)

The Yoder YS480 checks off most things. I could always go back to a RecTec (now Recteq), P&S and Mak are over budget. I’ve heard a little about Outlaw and Smokin Brothers (seems like they aren’t great for grilling), and Blaz’n, but probably need to research them a bit more. Heck, the newer Traegers (Ironwood) don’t look all that bad.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you couldn’t spend more than $2K all-in (including potential shipping charges), what pellet grill would you pick?

I used to have the original RecTec, it was great, never had an issue, didn’t have a lot of smoke flavor.

What I’m looking for:
- Decent smoke flavor. I have a Drum I’ll use for most smoking, but want to have the pellet as a good back up option, or if I run out of room on the Drum
- Capable of grilling/searing. I’m going to get rid of my gasser and replace with this pellet
- Max budget $2K (so don’t tell me a Mak)
- Ideally American made
- WiFi capable would be great
- Easy to clean ash pot (my old RecTec was a PITA to take apart to clean)
- Pellet Dump
- Low Pellet Alert is a nice to have (in case I drink too much and forget to reload)

The Yoder YS480 checks off most things. I could always go back to a RecTec (now Recteq), P&S and Mak are over budget. I’ve heard a little about Outlaw and Smokin Brothers (seems like they aren’t great for grilling), and Blaz’n, but probably need to research them a bit more. Heck, the newer Traegers (Ironwood) don’t look all that bad.

Thanks all!

Looks like I might be able to squeeze the P&S 850 in my budget (I live in Houston so could pick up). But, is there a better option at 2K and under?

MrBrass, Have you looked at the Fast Eddy PG500 at all? Don’t know about pellet dump, but probably the most capable searing pellet grill.

- Decent smoke flavor. I have a Drum I’ll use for most smoking, but want to

Under 2K you will most likely need to look at Yoder/Outlaw/Louisiana-style burn pots instead of the Traeger style.

- Capable of grilling/searing.

No pellet grill under 2K does this as well over the entire grate as does a good propane unit. Some do well over a small hot spot. Yoder/P&S offer removable shields so that flame is directly exposed to part of the grate. Outlaw requires removing the drip pan. No truly good system among any of the pellet grills under 2K I know of. Probably just the nature of the beast.

You have many options.

- Ideally American made

That eliminates Traeger.

- WiFi capable would be great.

Most have this, either standard or as an option.

- Easy to clean ash pot

Outlaw, period. Nothing else even comes close.

The Yoder YS480 checks off most things.

A great choice unless you put a priority on ash clean out.

MrBrass, Have you looked at the Fast Eddy PG500 at all? Don’t know about pellet dump, but probably the most capable searing pellet grill.

I have! This might sound really stupid, but I don’t love the look of them. Whatever I get will be incorporated into an outdoor kitchen I’m building.

I have! This might sound really stupid, but I don’t love the look of them. Whatever I get will be incorporated into an outdoor kitchen I’m building.

Which units look best to you?

Which units look best to you?

I don’t have an issue with most cookers I see, but for whatever reason the PG500 feels outdated and a bit like a science experiment to me. I shouldn’t care about how it looks, just how it cooks.

I don’t have an issue with most cookers I see, but for whatever reason the PG500 feels outdated and a bit like a science experiment to me.

I understand. Too many rivets and it starts to look like a high school shop project.

Hey all,
So life got in the way and I never did get a pellet grill that I'd been hoping to buy in the last two years, and I'm wondering if anything's changed (for the better) in terms of what's available to casual back-yarders.

I had been looking at a Camp Chef Woodwind III but now I'm starting to see horror stories online about bad customer service and other issues, and likewise Traegar. I cook maybe a dozen times a season, if that, and usually it's just for my wife and me and to have leftovers for lunches. I'd like to be able to do 4 racks of ribs at a time, or two average sized briskets for a big party that we throw every fall, but a more typical cook would be 2 or 3 racks or one brisket or two pork butts. That's it really.

I'm cooking on a 2008 Weber Smoky Mountain 18" and it's turned out some amazing Q over the years but the PITA factor is really starting to get to me and I'd like to consider something else. Set it and forget it kinda thing.

I've got about $1k at the very outside. I'm not looking for a competition-level smoker nor something that I'll be running every weekend and feeding a small army. I don't need to grill with it or sear...just smoke at 225 to 400° and that's it. Suggestions? Would I be wasting money on a Traegar or Camp Chef due to quality problems or bad customer service? Thanks in advance.

Back