Both of you guys have me in the mood for ribs now. Question is PBJ or Hunsaker :confused: Decisions, decisions.

Lh0ZDrmh.jpg

PBJ was in the patio so fark it. :-D

Two slabs or STL's. Top rack Bad Byron's and SM Genie's Hooch (love that rub) and the bottom with my homemade no sugar rub.

6smNhJhh.jpg

Plenty of clearance just like the PBC

fqkaO8rh.jpg

And we're rollin'

YXcmXRZh.jpg

Damn that little guy looks nice! I see you have the intake vent set more than halfway open. I know you're in LA so you can't be up there in elevation, does it just need to be opened more for the smaller size?

Damn that little guy looks nice! I see you have the intake vent set more than halfway open. I know you're in LA so you can't be up there in elevation, does it just need to be opened more for the smaller size?

Thanks! I'm in L.A. but I sit at a higher elevation of slightly over 2000ft ASL so I need 1/2 open. On my third cook and I can say I'm very impressed with how this thing runs. Absolutely no issues with airflow at all. I think it has to do with its compact size. I love it!

Well of course I loved the PBC also but for its size this thing rocks!!

Blue balls anyone? :heh:

Trying something new. I ground up beef so I had some leftover. Filled it with Gorgonzola and dusted with PB Beef N Game. Going to put it on soon.

kZnB2jrh.jpg

VKdNLueh.jpg

... I picked up a BBQ guru for my PBC and I must say that having truly consistent temps has noticeably increased the quality of my cooks! The only complaint I had about the PBC was the inability to truly cook at lower temps when I wanted to. The BBQ guru changed all that.

Hey Deebo, mind sharing how the guru hooks up to the PBC? I saw on their site they recommended the universal weber connector, but a previous post by seasalted mentioned an XL Grill Dome Adapter.
I have one of the newer PBCs and have had issues with temps as well. Thinking the CyberQ really makes things easy and doesn't completely tarnish the PBC concept. Still hanging meat over coals... just with a little more O2 control?
~ Mike

Hey kids ! Haven't posted much lately due to an overload of work, but last weekend I got a chance to put the PBC thru its paces for the holiday get-together we hosted. :thumb:

Started by dry-brining a salmon overnight (~12 hrs) in a 3-to-1 brown sugar/sea salt mix, then rinsing and drying on a rack in the fridge. Salmon went on in the morning with its good friend Chuck. (Don't have a good "finished" photo of the salmon. D'oh! :doh:)

When the salmon was done, it was put in the fridge to chill, and replaced with green-chile/cheddar beer bread.

Once the chuck and bread were done, I started on the just-in-time stuff: bacon-jalapeno cheese dip and smoked wings with rib rub. The coals were dying down at this point, which was perfect as I wasn't trying to COOK the wings, merely impart smoke flavor via some additional wood chips in the firebox. The wings were then finished on the gasser, along with some other wings tossed in a standard Frank's-hot-sauce/butter/worcestershire Buffalo sauce (not pictured).

All in all, a very satisfying way to spend a day. And that was all BEFORE the party started... :-D

Attachments

• 1_salmon.jpg
    1_salmon.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 2_salmon&chuck.jpg
    2_salmon&chuck.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 3_chuck&bread.jpg
    3_chuck&bread.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 335
  • 4_chuck&bread.jpg
    4_chuck&bread.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 5_chuck.jpg
    5_chuck.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 334
  • 7_wangs&AbtDip.jpg
    7_wangs&AbtDip.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 8_wangs.jpg
    8_wangs.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 335
Things I learned:

1) GET MORE SALMON. Man, was that good! Got devoured very quickly... :thumb:
2) Smoked wings in rib rub kick "Buffalo-style" butt. My guests agree...
3) Everybody loves ABT dip!
4) With liberal applications of tequila, middle-aged women WILL dance to Queens of the Stone Age :shock: :-D

Hey Deebo, mind sharing how the guru hooks up to the PBC? I saw on their site they recommended the universal weber connector, but a previous post by seasalted mentioned an XL Grill Dome Adapter.
I have one of the newer PBCs and have had issues with temps as well. Thinking the CyberQ really makes things easy and doesn't completely tarnish the PBC concept. Still hanging meat over coals... just with a little more O2 control?
~ Mike

That's exactly what it does. It offers the O2 control that allows you to enjoy the ease of the PBC while allowing you to easily control the consistency of the temps you're cooking at.

I'll take some pictures for ya later this afternoon when I get home from work.

Ok, so I dunno the backstory on Sako's move from the PBC to the PBJ. Sako, what made you let go of the original PBC and move to the lil guy?

Ok, so I dunno the backstory on Sako's move from the PBC to the PBJ. Sako, what made you let go of the original PBC and move to the lil guy?

Deebo,

I sold the PBC and went with a Hunsaker drum smoker for the following reasons:

More space

Ability to hang more meat with the hanger rack

Precise temp control

The vortex system which offers even heat throughout

Two cooking grates and they're larger (capacity like I mentioned above)

Adjustable grate system (5 position)

Mobility: Easier with the oversized back wheels

A hinged lid which is a huge plus for me

There was no sense in keeping the PBC since I had the bigger drum. I sold the PBC in one day with two people wanting it BTW. :-D Then came the PBJ and with my apparent love for the PBC, I had to have it.

I got the PBJ because;

Its compact and doesn't take storage space

The PBJ's circumference and the almost same height as the PBC provides for an awesome draft. Not that the PBC is bad but I feel the compactness of the PBJ adds to it's performance

Uses less fuel

Perfect for tailgating as you can still fit a lot of meat in there

Perfect for quick or small cooks when you want to throw on a rack of ribs or a chicken

If I still had my PBC, I would definitely pull the trigger on the PBJ for the above reasons. I love smaller cookers like my Jumbo Joe, WGA and use them a lot during the week so a small drum in conjunction was a no brainer.

The weekday workhorse plus tailgater and the weekend warrior side by side

bAvE0EVh.jpg

Awesome looking ribs, Sako!

So I'm hitting the first cold temps since buying the PBC this summer. Anybody else having to adjust their intake to keep temps up?

Back