Riddle me this?

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
First time cooking a turkey in a electric roaster, also using a cooking bag for the first time.
Bag directions say cook time for a 17- 20 lb. stuffed bird at 350* is 3 hrs!!!
Could that be right?
Ed

Oh, Happy Turkey day to all!

Wow! That does seem like a short time for a large, stuffed bird.

Sealing in the bag is going to create a lot of moisture and steam. It wouldn't surprise me if it cooked that quick but I'd use the handy dandy Thermapen at the 3hr mark to be safe. You might even start 30mins early. If it finishes early just take it out but leave it in the bag to stay warm. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

First time cooking a turkey in a electric roaster, also using a cooking bag for the first time.
Bag directions say cook time for a 17- 20 lb. stuffed bird at 350* is 3 hrs!!!
Could that be right?
Ed

Oh, Happy Turkey day to all!

So you have a roaster, and a cooking bag in the same equation. Electric roasters have a circle of heat.... it comes from the sides not the bottom like some traditional ovens. The heat is very even.

Many methods for cooking bigger meats in a roaster involve preheating it to 400° or 450°, then cook for 45 minutes to an hour, then drop the temp to the 325° to 350° range.

Oven bags are cooking with steam, so now you have the circle of heat combined with steam. I could see the 2.5 to 3 hour cooking time.

My Mom had a turkey cooker with a fan in it and I remember it cooked faster. She never did the bag. I would think the bag would defeat the purpose of the fan. The wife has used the bag in the oven several times. The skin never gets crispy and good like without it.

Back