Pork Butts, Bone or Boneless?

plowin-fire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I normally smoke bone in butts. It gives a good reference on when its done and holds together better. Smoked some boneless butts and didn't like the way they cooked. Seemed like where the bone goes was dry and burned vs the rest of the butt. What you guys prefer?

Bone in for the built in doneness indicator

It depends where I get the butt. COSTCO butts are usually boneless. It doesn't really bother me.

CD

I prefer bone in but if you get boneless, just use some cooks twine and tie 'em up. I do cook boneless on occassion because I get them from RD cheaper.

Add me to the bone-in crowd. Just makes it easier to determine when it's done.

I agree w/the bone in crowd 4 2 reasons. 1 because it helps 2 tell doneness & 2 because the marrow in the bone adds extra flavor 2 the meat. I always try 2 get bone in 4 whatever I'm cooking.

Bone in. The boneless at our COSTCO have most if not all of the fat removed internally and on the outside.

I agree with Winochef. The boneless ones I've gotten at Costco have a lot less fat in them then the bone in ones I get at the butcher. But, Costco costs almost half of what the butcher charges...

Back