They're Everywhere! Everywhere!

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
I go into my local Lowe's store this morning to buy furnace filters, and they have a couple of different sizes of Pit Boss pellet smokers on the sales floor for display. When I moved back here from Florida in the summer of '16, I would have bought one on the spot if I could have found one locally. But they were nowhere to be found. No one around here carried them. Anyone would order it for you, but I didn't want to go that route.

I didn't understand why they weren't stocked. I suspected it would grow in popularity eventually to the point that our local retailers would carry them, and it looks like that's what has happened.

I was using my first cooker back then, a WSM 22. I thought it was sometimes a bit "work heavy", and I was looking for something a little easier to use. Thought I would diversify. Even started saving money for a Green Mountain.

I ended up going a completely different route, and bought a Humphrey's IVC. I LOVE the Humphrey's. I don't really have a lot of interest in a pellet cooker anymore. But I'll say this about the Pit Boss I checked out today... the lid was heavy duty, not a thin piece of junk. I only spent a few seconds checking it out, but it did cause me to wonder if the whole thing was that heavy duty. This was the Pro Series, so maybe they're higher end. Probably still won't buy one, but I'll most likely check them out every time I go in there.

Not about the Smokers but the Air Filters. WHAT a ripoff! Do the math in the big box stores and it comes to approx $1 per square inch for a decent one. That's BS. Find another source.

Not about the Smokers but the Air Filters. WHAT a ripoff! Do the math in the big box stores and it comes to approx $1 per square inch for a decent one. That's BS. Find another source.

Agreed. I hate buying them in the big box stores. I've thought about sourcing them Online, and having them delivered to the house on the first day of every month. That way, when they show up, I know it's time to replace it.

As for pricing, I didn't pay near that for the 4 I bought. I don't buy the high end ones, and I don't buy the cheapest. But at a dollar per square inch, not a chance that they would go home with me.

Back