Question about turkey skin.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm going to brine two turkeys breasts this year and was thinking about trying them without the skin. I've never removed the skin from turkey before. Would this run the risk of drying them out or making them too salty or tough? I'm only brining for 4hrs max. Thanks.

I guess if you dont get a reply after 12hrs it was a dumb question. I think I will stick with what I know, skin on. Two days before Thanksgiving isn't the time to experiment.

First time I seen your question. I don't know why you would want to remove the best part of any bird. Don't think salt would be a problem, but it will dry out faster. If you do it, I would cover it with bacon, to keep it moist, but I like the skin too much, to even think about that.

First time I seen your question. I don't know why you would want to remove the best part of any bird. Don't think salt would be a problem, but it will dry out faster. If you do it, I would cover it with bacon, to keep it moist, but I like the skin too much, to even think about that.
I love the skin. I was just wondering if the flavor would be enhanced anymore without it. I'm leaving it on.

I love the skin. I was just wondering if the flavor would be enhanced anymore without it. I'm leaving it on.

I would leave skin on, and run your fingers underneath, to separate from the meat, then season under skin. best of both worlds.

William the one I did other day wasn’t tough or dry. The meat had more of a smoke flavor and absorbed more of the seasoning. I also basted it every 20 minutes with seasoned butter I made up starting when the external temp hit 150° until it was done. Nearly all the BBQ joints around here that do breast remove the skin.

Leave it on. I removed it once and paid the price. Dry bird and too tough a texture on outside 1/8” of meat. And IMHO turkey is bad enough already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've done skinless turkey breast before and really like it. I cook indirect until about 130 and then wrap with some butter. it's based off an Aaron Franklin recipe

So a few things I've put together over the years:

• Use the "boiling water trick" on the skin. It works.
  • Oil the skin of the bird. It helps heat transfer and is what you need to render the fat so the skin can crisp.
  • Baste with butter/oil during the cook. If it still looks oily from the last time, no need to baste unless it looks dry.
  • Cook at 375°. Low temps will dry out the skin before it can render, leaving you with leathery skin.

I have had some really incredible, juicy birds come out at 375°. Everyone owes it to themselves at least once to cook at that temp. Definitely keep a probe in it because it will really gain temp quick in the late stages of the cook.

So a few things I've put together over the years:

• Use the "boiling water trick" on the skin. It works.
  • Oil the skin of the bird. It helps heat transfer and is what you need to render the fat so the skin can crisp.
  • Baste with butter/oil during the cook. If it still looks oily from the last time, no need to baste unless it looks dry.
  • Cook at 375°. Low temps will dry out the skin before it can render, leaving you with leathery skin.

I have had some really incredible, juicy birds come out at 375°. Everyone owes it to themselves at least once to cook at that temp. Definitely keep a probe in it because it will really gain temp quick in the late stages of the cook.

Your ideas are great, thanks!

Back