The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Best guess would be a 3-4 hour cook time. That said, in my opinion, I see no solid reason to cook a meatloaf at that low of a temp. The MAK's produce a ton of smoke all the way through the 200 degree range... even into the lower 300's. I am starting to think that I get more smoke production at 245 than I do on 'smoke'. Not sure if you are aware of this... but the MAK's use a variable speed fan. Within that variable speed functionality, there are 3 additional categories... low, medium and high. Low is considered a controller temp set between smoke-245... a medium temp is between 250-295... and the high temp is => 300. So, depending on what temp you are cooking at, not only does the fan run at variable speeds, but the rpms are governed within the low and medium heat ranges. Any temp at 245 or lower and the fan will not exceed 60% of it's max rpms... any temp between 250-295 and the fan will not exceed 80% or it's max rpms... and any temp 300+ and the fan is capable of hitting 100% of it's max rpms when needed. I tell you this to say that 245 is really a sweet spot to cook at on the MAK's as you still get incredible smoke production due to the lower max rpm's, plus your cooks won't take so darn long. I also find the end result to more often than not be more desirable when cooked in the mid 200's for the entire duration of the cook. Doesn't mean you can't cook other ways and have great results... this is just based on my experience(s) and opinions... :)

As far as cooking on foil, I don't prefer it. If you are considering that for easy cleanup, I'd suggest a cookie sheet with a cooling rack inside. Set your food on the cooking rack. That will allow smoke to fully circulate around the food and catch the drippings. Works great!

Thanks. Ill give it a try at 200-225 then and see how much smoke i get.

So did some meatlaof last night. Came out good but not enough smoke for my tastes. SMoked at ~225 for about 3.5 hours. BTW i do get a great amount of visible smoke so i dont think that is the issue. I think the apple pellets are just a bit mild for me. It is a very clean taste however. I am going to use a stronger flavored wood pellet next and see how that goes. worst case ill add one of those Amazn tubes if i have to. Im betting i wont however with the stronger wood pellet.

So did some meatlaof last night. Came out good but not enough smoke for my tastes. SMoked at ~225 for about 3.5 hours. BTW i do get a great amount of visible smoke so i dont think that is the issue. I think the apple pellets are just a bit mild for me. It is a very clean taste however. I am going to use a stronger flavored wood pellet next and see how that goes. worst case ill add one of those Amazn tubes if i have to. Im betting i wont however with the stronger wood pellet.

For beef I tend to get best results with hickory pellets.

Fixing to wrap up a 6 pork butt cook. Each one averaging 8 pounds. Cooked at 225 deg most of the way through and bumped up to 245 deg a couple hours ago. I got 5 pork butts to cook Sunday as well.

Last edited:
Tip of the Hat to Smokin Brothers Support

Hello. I just had my first minor problem with my pellet grill--a Smokin Brothers Premier-36 purchased June 2017. I wanted to give a shout out to their support. I called them with very little information in hand--my name, address and grill--and within two hours I received notification that my Hot Rod had shipped. Before that the nice lady on the phone wanted to make sure I knew how to ignite the pellets manually, since it might not be until Tuesday before my replacement part shows up. The part itself is only $36. It was covered by my three-year warranty. I was just very impressed with the service. (I hope it's appropriate that I posted this here.)

Last edited:
Fixing to wrap up a 6 pork butt cook. Each one averaging 8 pounds. Cooked at 225 deg most of the way through and bumped up to 245 deg a couple hours ago. I got 5 pork butts to cook Sunday as well.

Awesome! How long of a cook was this one?

Hello. I just had my first minor problem with my pellet grill--a Smokin Brothers Premier-36 purchased June 2017. I wanted to give a shout out to their support. I called them with very little information in hand--my name, address and grill--and within two hours I received notification that my Hot Rod had shipped. Before that the nice lady on the phone wanted to make sure I knew how to ignite the pellets manually, since it might not be until Tuesday before my replacement part shows up. The part itself is only $36. It was covered by my three-year warranty. I was just very impressed with the service. (I hope it's appropriate that I posted this here.)

Love hearing stuff like this... and I have heard nothing but praise for SB support :)

Awesome! How long of a cook was this one?

About 14 hours. Very long cook. I scraped the grates and bumped the temp up to 300 deg afterwards for about an hour. This thing performs like a fricken commercial cooker lol. I haven’t done this yet but this thing could probably be turned off , cleaned out, and go another 14 hours cycle after cycle after cycle and not skip a beat. I’m pretty sure using it in a commercial manner like that would void the warranty lol.

About 14 hours. Very long cook. I scraped the grates and bumped the temp up to 300 deg afterwards for about an hour. This thing performs like a fricken commercial cooker lol. I haven’t done this yet but this thing could probably be turned off , cleaned out, and go another 14 hours cycle after cycle after cycle and not skip a beat. I’m pretty sure using it commercially would void the warranty though lol.

There’s a local guy that has a BBQ shack outside a local Home Depot not to far from me. He’s been cooking up great Q on an old 2 Star for years now. Super nice guy, but I’m not sure he’s ever cleaned the exterior of his grill. Absolutely, disgustingly filthy... but it keeps chugging along and he keeps selling to happy customers :)

I have been considering getting some 5 gallon buckets for a few types of pellets to facilitate changing out pellets better by using a buckethead vac to suction out the pellets I am changing back into the bucket for that style. It seems like a scoop from a bucket would also help reduce dust going into the smoker versus pouring from a bag.

However, it seems like a 5 gallon bucket will be overkill for a 20# bag. I am not sure if the smaller size buckets still have the same opening to work with the buckethead vac or not. Has anyone tried that? Am I wrong about the 5 gallon being way larger than needed for a 20# bag?

Louisiana Grills Champion Pellet Grill/Smoker

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Louisiana Grills Pellet Grill/Smoker? 465 pounds of Pellet Smoker.

4DOfipN.jpg

SAKdV3Y.jpg

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Louisiana Grills Pellet Grill/Smoker? 465 pounds of Pellet Smoker.

4DOfipN.jpg

SAKdV3Y.jpg

I saw one in person at Costco Knoxville TN location once. It seemed like it was put together pretty well. I’ve never cooked on it or any Louisiana grill models though so can’t comment there. My only concern with that model is you would get several temperature zones instead of just one or 2 larger zones. If you wanted to cook a lot of one type of meat you couldn’t do it since all would cook at different temps. On the other hand if you cook several different dishes at once it would be ideal.

On the topic of Louisiana grills I’ve seen this one with the cold smoker box at Costco as well and I saw the super hog grill at a BBQ competition.

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Kuma Stoves are no longer producing pellet grills. One less made in USA manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Kuma Stoves are no longer producing pellet grills. One less made in USA manufacturer.

Yeah, I recently saw that. Surprised but not surprised as their marketing was almost non-existent. Almost zero social media exposure as well. Sure did appear to be a solid cooker that I know had my attention on more than one occasion.

Yeah, I recently saw that. Surprised but not surprised as their marketing was almost non-existent. Almost zero social media exposure as well. Sure did appear to be a solid cooker that I know had my attention on more than one occasion.

According to their site, with all the new regulations on pellet stoves, all their attention is going to be focused on compliance.

Back