"Classic" Pork Butt Recipes and Tips?

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am planning on smoking an 8 lb Boston Butt for Sunday. This will be smokin' voyage 2, (see my extensive post on the brisket from last Sunday).

I am sorta looking for the complete 'classic' pulled pork butt recipe, from brine (or not), to rub, to mop(or not?), to finishing sauce.

I have lots and lots (and lots and lots) of recipes on it, but want some real time opinions on a classic recipe (probably think east carolina) from the folks here.

I am thinking sometin along the lines of no brine, simple pepper/paprika/cayenne rub, cider vinergar&juice mob, and a finishing sauce heavy on vinegar with little or no tomato. It'll be smoked with charcoal and hickory chunk. Thoughts? Also, am I right to assume 12 full hours for an 8 pounder taking it to ~190?

Thanks in advance for the help, you contributed to the relative success of the brisket, I just wish you could have enjoyed it.

Check out the Roadmap thread

Its short butt sweet

I'm simple rubs too, never brined

165, wrapped to 190, cooler 3 hours, then pull

very simple

Good luck!!

Yes - keep it very simple. Rub the farker and let it cook. Spray every so often as you deem. Pork will withstand higher pit temps than brisket so don't be afraid to be in the 250 range.

Yuppers, the butt, in my opinion, is by far the most forgiving meat to Q. The more simplistic approach you take to it the better it will turn out--just don't skim on time by cooking at a higher temp (250 max as TK said). Remember to mop every 30 mins to an hour after the first two hours of cooking, wrap that thang, let it rest, then pull.

Pair the meat with a zesty Carolina vinegar based style of sauce (I prefer the mustard based ones myself--Bill loves them equally as much) and you will be set.

Good luck, this journey will be much easier then your bout with the brisket!

I like to inject with apple cider then splash the outside with a mixture of some Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce 1/4 C, worsteschire 2Tbsp, and Dales 1Tbsp. Just enough to wet it before adding your rub.

Thanks guys, especially the pre rub recommendation Neil. Anybody else have a sauce recipe they have liked? Tentatively going w/ something like:

• 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup (or less)
    1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (Or more)

I "cut and pasted" the following from an earlier post on pulled pork. It is the recipe I use:

2 cups cider vinager
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Be careful! Add just enough and it really sweetens the pork. Add too much and your pork tastes like vineger. Mix in a small amount and taste it, adding more as needed.

You can always add any sweet or hot tomato based sauce afterwards, I just use this sauce to "sweeten" the pork a bit.

Be careful! Add just enough and it really sweetens the pork. Add too much and your pork tastes like vineger. Mix in a small amount and taste it, adding more as needed.

I cannot over-emphasize the importance of this. Not ony will your pork taste like vinegar, but it will also turn to mush, as in babyfood-like consistency. Blaach

Back