Pitmasters show - judging problems

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Mods. Posted here as its a discussion on competition judging.

Judge the entry as presented. Well 2 judges totally trashed that concept. Went in with preconceived notions of what they wanted to see in a brisket box and scored down when it wasn't there. Now I think the majority of certified judges in all organizations follow the judge as presented concept but I also think that a minority go in with preconceived notions of what thay want and when they don't get it they score down. This certainly explains those judge 6 scores.

I know it's tv but I'm very disappointed in one judges in particular who should know better.

Please try to keep relies on topic.

That was my thoughts exactly. Tuffy and Myron should know better. I give that other guy the benefit of the doubt.

... I *HOPE* it's because it's TV with no real rules and only preconceived notions and expectations. Otherwise, yeah, not good. Did they have rules, or was it like it has been in the past with just willy-nilly judging?

I would hope they would have gave us MORE insight into what they were expecting/looking for.

Not because it is in anyway useful in a comp, but because there was some serious BBQ muscle on the judging stand, and any insights are interesting.

Like Podge said, it's TV not KCBS.

I can't believe this is even being discussed. Where is tri-tip allowed in KCBS? Its not... Just as this was not a made for KCBS show... IT WAS A MADE FOR TV SHOW!!!!!

I had no complaints on this episode. It would have been nice to see more new faces. Sure there are a few. But there are also a lot of the same. No slam towards anyone in particular. I personally feel Big Poppa should have been on...

I also can't believe how many of them were cutting with the grain!!!!

Unfortunatly I have seen some of this behavior in the tent before. Can gaurantee a bunch of rookie teams are going to make sure they put their burnt ends in the box. LOL

I can't believe this is even being discussed. Where is tri-tip allowed in KCBS? Its not... Just as this was not a made for KCBS show... IT WAS A MADE FOR TV SHOW!!!!!

I had no complaints on this episode. It would have been nice to see more new faces. Sure there are a few. But there are also a lot of the same. No slam towards anyone in particular. I personally feel Big Poppa should have been on...

You hit it right on the head. Bbq has more than enough ingeresting peo:becky:ple and characters. Ive had just about all the trigg, lee Ann whippen I can take.

Scottie. Comments were not directed at the show but were about preconceived notions about what judges want to see. I believe this attitude exists in a significant minority of judges in all organizations. Remember I'm FBA now with some KCBS. but I think a lot of judges in all organizations will now be looking for burnt ends in the box this summer and will score down if not there. BTW here in FBA we see a lot of burnt ends in boxes. But as Jim said they better be good and here that means lots of sugar on them. Not my personal preference.

I agree it would have been nice to see Dana, Jimmy Brod or Terry McKay as well. Not to mention you, Mike W., Chad and so many others. I don't know if any of the Florida boys even sent in a tape.

Carolyn immediately picked up on the grain as well. I posted my comments on the show in Q-talk. Overall an improvement. Tuffy was great.

“BBQ Pitmasters - judging problems” this is the topic of discussion. I see no judging problems on this TV show. Now, if you want to talk preconceived notions on what judges should or should not look for as a result on watching this show, I like to give the judges a benefit of the doubt that they will judge as taught in a judging class, in a real sanctioned contest.

Ok I am going to walk both sides of the line here. I liked the show and enjoyed many aspects of it. I know it is just a TV show with there own rules. I understand that completely. However I HOPE that new judges go by what is taught in class, to judge as presented and not because you want something else in there.

Lets be honest cooks have listened, and tried stuff they have seen on TV, so it is not beyond the possibility that a judge may do the same. I know last night I ABSOLUTELY got a call from another cook and this cook did say to me "I guess I will always have to put burnt ends in now because the judge expects it".....As for me my burnt ends need lots of work so much like the on theshow I will only turn them in if they turn out very good.

But it is only a show with its own rules, and I am going to watch it for entertainment only(maybe a hint here or there) but I wont change anything because of this season of the show.

Unless I'm mistaken all the guys on the show last night were new faces.

Plus two new judges who were huge upgrades.
I was referring to the commercials where they show quite a few repeat faces. Last nite was great, I didnt know any of them. 3 new judges would of been an even better upgrade

To expand on your point Fat Freddy,
If anything, I am more concerned about the preconceived notions of the BBQ judges on this forum when they read us go on and on and on about that damn Money Muscle!!.. in this forum setting, we’re all real-world competition cooks, talking about the need for the MM being presented. There is nothing in the rules saying it has to be. But now, it seems to me, that every cook and judge expects to see MM in the box. Everyone talks about “put burnt ends in the box, only if they’re great…. Or.. I don’t submit burnt ends… etc..etc.. “.. but by gosh, you better use MM if you expect to do well !!.. just my opinion from my obvervations.

Ok I am going to walk both sides of the line here. I liked the show and enjoyed many aspects of it. I know it is just a TV show with there own rules. I understand that completely. However I HOPE that new judges go by what is taught in class, to judge as presented and not because you want something else in there.

Lets be honest cooks have listened, and tried stuff they have seen on TV, so it is not beyond the possibility that a judge may do the same. I know last night I ABSOLUTELY got a call from another cook and this cook did say to me "I guess I will always have to put burnt ends in now because the judge expects it".....As for me my burnt ends need lots of work so much like the on theshow I will only turn them in if they turn out very good.

But it is only a show with its own rules, and I am going to watch it for entertainment only(maybe a hint here or there) but I wont change anything because of this season of the show.

That was what I was thinking. I know it is TV and not KCBS. I can tell the difference. My fear is that not all judges can tell the difference and will now judge like what they saw on tv.

Unless I'm mistaken all the guys on the show last night were new faces.

Plus two new judges who were huge upgrades.

There were 3 new cooks. But from previews, there are quite a number of folks that have been on BBQ shows in the past. No slight, like yourself Chris, am I trying to do here. Everyone that is on the show deserves it.

And yes it was a huge upgrade on judging. I like that it was the real Myron and not some made for TV guy last night.

Look forward to seeing your episode. Can you say who you had as an assistant?

To expand on your point Fat Freddy,
If anything, I am more concerned about the preconceived notions of the BBQ judges on this forum when they read us go on and on and on about that damn Money Muscle!!.. in this forum setting, we’re all real-world competition cooks, talking about the need for the MM being presented. There is nothing in the rules saying it has to be. But now, it seems to me, that every cook and judge expects to see MM in the box. Everyone talks about “put burnt ends in the box, only if they’re great…. Or.. I don’t submit burnt ends… etc..etc.. “.. but by gosh, you better use MM if you expect to do well !!.. just my opinion from my obvervations.

Podge didn't you know that only the cool kids turn in MM?

Back