THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowki

Full Fledged Farker
Well i found a 30 (25?) gallon drum for $10.00 and decided to build a small UDS to take camping and to play around with hanging meat in. I gave the last full (55 gallon) size away to a friend that wanted to learn to smoke meat. Showed him how to run it and next day he was putting out some pretty good PP.
I burned the drum out this past weekend, with a little help from Jake. The plan is to make something that i can use as a drum and a PBC type cooker.
Open to any and all hints from those that have made smaller drums before, i have built 3 55's and believe the process (aside from some new-to-me mods) will be almost identical.
Not in a hurry on this one, but i will try to keep the thread updated on progress when it is made.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
please keep updated. a $10 drum is a good thing.

If I were building one, I would consider putting the exhaust on the side, kinda like the pbc.

and then you can use those holes to put a rod if you want to hang meat, kinda like the pbc.lol

I was thinking of putting a ring to fit into the top rim of the barrel, that i could fit the lid onto. I want to weld the rods to the inside of this ring. With a traditional exhaust i think i would have better temp. control without having to use magnets to cover holes. Will see how it works and go from there.

I was thinking of putting a ring to fit into the top rim of the barrel, that i could fit the lid onto. I want to weld the rods to the inside of this ring. With a traditional exhaust i think i would have better temp. control without having to use magnets to cover holes. Will see how it works and go from there.

ive tried a traditional exhaust vs a hole and there was no difference in temp control

Back