BBQ Brethren "Latin Cuisine" Throwdown

only 2 entries and I'm getting nervous..guess I better bring it! AMAZING job gentlemen!!!

I looked through my photos again, and I think I like this one better. Same basic shot, but different angle. Please use this one, bigabyte.

CD

Attachments

• Meal003.jpg
    Meal003.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 113
This was a tough one for me. I was on my feet and checking temps way more often than I like...However, the outcome was well worth it! I made Empanadas. They are filled with a homemade Picadillo. I cooked these cute little savory pies 100% from start to finish on the Egg. From the onions and peppers to the meat and sauce, then back on to bake them. The dough was lightly infused with smoke and the result as John put it: "A Mouthgasam":-o. I have to say I agree.
(the last/single photo is my entry Chris)

Attachments

• Latin Throwdown 052.jpg
    Latin Throwdown 052.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love a bite of those empanadas, a hunk of that Puerto Rican pork and wash it down with a pina colada. Great lookin' eats!

The lineup in the voting thread on this one should probably be televised, it's going to be that good.

My, oh my..... I have been busy cooking and entertaining for the last couple days and didn't really get to see this throwdown. Wow, this is really going to be interesting and..... delicious. I love whatever you want to call it South American, Spanish, spicy, food. Just sign me up. All of these are great.

Here I was thinking about Chile Rellenos, fish tacos, chile verde, etc and these beautiful dishes hit the forum.

I am humbled. You guys are putting out some good food!

The lineup in the voting thread on this one should probably be televised, it's going to be that good.

Wouldn't that be an interesting new show on Food network. Can you imagine the cameras following Gore, Guerry, YOU, Tom, and the other farkers around? Wow! :shock: Maybe someone should pitch it to them, looking at the train wreaks already on some of the channels, its bound to be a hit! :p

(I purposely left ecode, Redhot, Larry, and most others out of the above list, because they would probably be natural Food Network hosts, not the train wreak laugh fest the rest of us would be.)

Wow the bar has already been set so high I can't see it. I try to set my standards low so I'll never fail. This is going to be an epic throwdown

Wouldn't that be an interesting new show on Food network. Can you imagine the cameras following Gore, Guerry, YOU, Tom, and the other farkers around? Wow! :shock: Maybe someone should pitch it to them, looking at the train wreaks already on some of the channels, its bound to be a hit! :p

(I purposely left ecode, Redhot, Larry, and most others out of the above list, because they would probably be natural Food Network hosts, not the train wreak laugh fest the rest of us would be.)

What, you don't think a dog that cooks would be funny enough? :laugh:

CD

Done plenty of these shows and they're not all they're cracked up to be. Normally, spend my time tending the pits and catering to a squirrel. I think they've all been train wrecks. Smokey Al's got a good thing going though on the Kettle Network.

Last edited:
The BBQ Brethren Network or BBN is the only network that matters to me. I think ninja squirrel is working with Poobah to get it on the air soon. Ninja squirrels head was cooking with me the other day and told me it was a lot of work getting the channel on the air but he hopes to secure a deal soon. Stay tuned!

BBQ Pork Paella

I certainly hope Paella fits into the Latin Cuisine throwdown. :thumb:
While Paella originates in Spain (to be exact the Valencia region of Spain),
I have decided to present for your evaluation a fusion of American BBQ with a traditional Latin Cuisine:

Mixed Paella (Paella Mixta)
This Paella uses traditional saffron yellow rice mixed with Basmati rice as a base. On this rice base are a surf & turf mix consisting of Bacon. BBQ Pork, homemade Sausage & Shrimp.

In the past 36 hours I have made fresh sausage and smoked 20 lb pork shoulder (my sammy is here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101503 )

Here is sausage in process:
P2080138.JPG

So when I saw the Latin Cuisine Throwdown, I immediately was inspired to make a Paella - One of my very favorite Latin dishes.

My favorite rice is basmati for it's flavor and texture, but to get the saffron component for the Paella I mixed in "Yellow Rice" as well.
P2110147.JPG

I also fried up some chopped bacon, cooked up some shrimp, and browned the sausage I had made.

Once the rice was done, it was put into a large dish ( I do not own a Paella pan), and the pork, bacon, shrimp and sausage (that was flash heated in a cast iron skillet that I had fried the bacon in, and deglazed with a touch of bourbon) was put on top.

Fresh bell peppers were added before serving.
P2110148.JPG

Please use the following photo for my entry.

P2110154.JPG

Back