Has any PBC owner used Kingsford Mesquite or the new Apple wood briqs in their cooker?

I haven't but I believe 16adams has used the Kingsford mesquite. I haven't seen him post in this thread but he's made some great lookin grub in his PBC.

Edit: He posts a lot of cook threads, you may be able to find one where he talks about it.

My opinion for ever it's worth ...i know i know lol

Use whatever you want for fuel, use wood chunks if you want or if you don't then don't....the ONLY difference is how you set up your fire and load your basket.... I.E with lump pack the basket a bit tighter to keep temps down, all natural briquettes tend to burn slower so adjust accordingly. Of course none of this is PBC specific and is true across the board of charcoal cookers.

I've used some wood for smoke, but I hate a strong smoke flavor so I probably use too little out of fear.

I've only ever used KBB. I think about trying other stuff, but the KBB does a great job and it's super cheap. I've never used lump, but it's on my list. Maybe for my next cook

You don't need a coupon code for this. The value is there, just order the thing. I'm contemplating a second one so I can cook more for parties.

I use mostly KBB but I bought a couple bags of Stubbs briquettes and used them last week. They seemed to perform well. We're blessed to have plenty of hardwoods around here but since I'm relatively a new PBC'er and have only used a bit of cherry. Adds a nice flavor and color

1) I do use wood chunks from time to time (depending on what's cooking). I split them down to around the same size as the briquettes and use either one or two depending on the food.

2) I use KBB exclusively because of the sales and my budget

3) The coupons were a thing of the past before I bought my PBC over a year ago.

Questions for you PBC owners:

1. Do any of you use wood chunks for more smoke flavor in this cooker?

2. Do most of you exclusively use KBB?

3. Is there still a coupon code available?

1. I might throw a chunk in depending on my mood. I usually stick to fruit woods.

2. Yes, only because I bought a crap load a while ago :becky:

3. I don't know.

Well I have a commitment from someone to buy my PBC!....It's a fireman. I think he may be planning to keep it at the firehouse. Either way I'm supposed to take it to him tonight. Then I'll be placing my order for a brand new one! :becky:

Well I have a commitment from someone to buy my PBC!....It's a fireman. I think he may be planning to keep it at the firehouse. Either way I'm supposed to take it to him tonight. Then I'll be placing my order for a brand new one! :becky:

Sweet! ....but if I were you I'd just make a mini pit and a Big Poppa drum :becky:

Andrew you could hang from both cookers and have the best of everything!:laugh:

Sweet! ....but if I were you I'd just make a mini pit and a Big Poppa drum :becky:

Andrew you could hang from both cookers and have the best of everything!:laugh:
dead-horse.gif

Don't forget this isn't Bob's thread... :becky:

I'll stick with the PBC. I don't have access to a barrel for a BP kit, plus I like the idea of a brand new barrel which increases the price.....that'll take us again back to Bob's thread though.
I'm very satisfied with my PBC, I just got jealous of the shiny new porcelain coated ones and wanted one. I may cook on it in the future different than its design but I don't see me doing many (if any) permanent modifications. For now I'm satisfied with cooking like is stated to do in the directions for the most part.

Last edited:
Don't forget this isn't Bob's thread... :becky:

I'll stick with the PBC. I don't have access to a barrel gor a BP kit, plus I like the idea of a brand new barrel which increases the price.....that'll take us again back to Bob's thread though.
I'm very satisfied with my PBC, I just got jealous of the shiny new porcelain coated ones and wanted one. I may cook on it in the future different than its design but I don't see me doing many (if any) permanent modifications. For now I'm satisfied with cooking like is stated to do in the directions for the most part.

I know Andrew, just playing with you brother. Sure you could do more but I understand the shiny new toy thing!

new dude questions

Hey guys....newbie here.....couple of quick questions as I IMPATIANTLY wait for my PBC to be delivered....what are the ABTs that I saw in the earlier posts? Where to get the flat stock style hangers that held the ABTs and potatoes.....And lastly.....Can anyone help hijack the delivery truck.....I cant wait until Tuesday delivery??????

Hey guys....newbie here.....couple of quick questions as I IMPATIANTLY wait for my PBC to be delivered....what are the ABTs that I saw in the earlier posts? Where to get the flat stock style hangers that held the ABTs and potatoes.....And lastly.....Can anyone help hijack the delivery truck.....I cant wait until Tuesday delivery??????

Welcome to the forum Flyynsquirrel! You made a great decision getting yourself a PBC.
ABT stands for Angry Buffalo Turd. It's basically a jalapeño stuffed with a meat (usually sausage) and cheese (cream cheese most often) wrapped with bacon sometimes with rub and smoked until the bacon is they way you like it. They are delicious and you will find plenty of recipes in the forum for them.
The hangers you asked about were something ssv3 put together. Hopefully he will read your post and elaborate.
Can't help with the delivery truck...lol. But I understand your impatience! Good luck and we wanna see some pron when you do your first PBC cook! :becky:

Welcome to the forum Flyynsquirrel! You made a great decision getting yourself a PBC.
ABT stands for Angry Buffalo Turd. It's basically a jalapeño stuffed with a meat (usually sausage) and cheese (cream cheese most often) wrapped with bacon sometimes with rub and smoked until the bacon is they way you like it. They are delicious and you will find plenty of recipes in the forum for them.
The hangers you asked about were something ssv3 put together. Hopefully he will read your post and elaborate.
Can't help with the delivery truck...lol. But I understand your impatience! Good luck and we wanna see some pron when you do your first PBC cook! :becky:

And since you are in Indiana you should join us for the Chicago Area Brethren Bash on July 19. And of course welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of PBC cooking.

Welcome and great decision on the PBC. You will love the thing. As for the hanging skewers you have to look those up online. I bought some of mine from local mom and pop mediterranean stores. Only decent ones I've seen online are these:

http://www.kabobmaster.com/product-category/skewers/

and found these guys just now

http://www.nishienterprise.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=2&search=skewers&show=12&page=3

If they're long you may have to bend the top portion. I had my brother do it for me on the ones I bought locally.

Back