Newbie: Brisket Questions on a BGE (LG)

If you stick to your Plan I bet you get whooped because it wont be a who's is betta but with one is not as bad
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

I would cook at 275 min on your grate use the Plate setter, Since you will not have access to the fire with it in place Start out low like 200-225 for two hrs to get the smoke into it then turn up the wick to 275 Get you a Brown paper sack cut out the bottom and the Glue strip Wrap the brisket in the paper at the 5 th hr after you turn up the heat. It will stay in the paper until you are ready to server it. Once it is Probe tender in the Flat remove it to the kitchen counter top now is the time to break out the thermo put the probe in the flat when the temp Drops to 150 slice against the grain and collect your money.

@ blu, if you are referring to my comment about reporting back my final internal temp...that was meant to say that I will let you guys know what it was when I felt it passed the "probe test" I do not plan on using Internal temp as my deciding factor as to when I am done.

question, about using the plate setter, I was thinking plate setter legs up and putting in a large foil drip pan and filling with water for moisture...thoughts?

also, i have seen people cook a brisket in a VRack...thoughts on this?

again I appreciate the advice. i am listening as I know yall have more xp than me

-robert

I never saw the advantage of water pans all they really do is damp the heat down and cause you to burn more fuel. You could use a drip pan to to make clean up a snap Be sure to cook FC down until you warp.
It is a Big misconception and against the laws of Physics to think that a water pan will make your meat moist. As the meat takes on heat it draws up and Sweats the water out( Like wringing out a Sponge) of it's self this has to happen for the meat to get moist. Once the water is driven off the the collagen can melt( think of collagen as Glue it is the stuff between the muscle fibers that separate us critters from jelly fish) once melted it is Gelatin, it is this Gelatin that is the moisture we seek.
DSCF0087.jpg

i dont understand this. Cook with FC down? im assuming warp...was wrap.

-robert

Fat cap down he means. And yes, wrap. I will say that I have both a Weber and an Egg and aside from crazy high temps for pizza and searing, they can do the same things. The egg just makes it waaayyyy easier to smoke imo.

FC - fat cap

Lookout...Weber is a fine cooker, gonna be the cook that wins not the smoker in my opinion.

BGE has it's advantages...like when it's 5 degrees outside in the winter, those kettles are hard to cook on because they don't hold heat like your egg will.

I cook about one brisket a month on my Large Kamado Joe and here is what I do. I buy a whole packer in the 12 pound range. I trim the hard fat, then I use salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. Set that thing on the counter. Go load my KJ with lump ( currently using FOGO ), and light it in one spot. I use 3 nice sized chunks of pecan ( because i like pecan ). I cook mine at 260F until they probe tender. I usually put them on around 11pm and they are ready just before lunch after a rest in the cooler. I dont wrap them until I pull them off the KJ and then I wrap in foil. I cook fat side up. So far this has worked perfectly every time. I cook at 260 because my KJ loves that temp and holds it forever. Held that temp for 16 hours once.

Best of luck!

ill tell you, the community on this forum is unreal! thanks everyone! ive been trolling through forums all day...work has been slow...and a quick minimize always works when you have some excel spreadsheets to pop up when the boss man walks by. lol

i think i have a great grasp of what NOT to do and what TO DO. hopefully remember to take pics of my process. this will be interesting.

now to find some butcher paper...

Hope you're cooking a whole packer brisket and not just a flat. If you're thinking a flat the first advice I'd give is get a whole packer brisket (I'd say 12+ lbs). Look for a choice grade or better with as uniform a thickness in the flat as you can find you have a better chance of not over cooking the thin ends while waiting for the thick part to probe tender. As others have indicated it won't be done at 175 or 185 (I don't start probing for tenderness until iT hits 195+).

Your brisket is likely going to be longer than the area shielded by the platesetter. You can place something (inverted metal bowl or v-rack works) under the center of the brisket to pull the ends of the brisket in some so that it doesn't get blasted with direct heat coming up around the platesetter. After a few hours the brisket will shrink enough that you can remove whatever you put under it and lay it flat.

I woundn't go too heavy with that mesquite. I prefer oak, pecan, or hickory. I like to smoke at 225 for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs and then go 275+ depending on how fast I need to finish.

@ R2Egg2Q, I will doing a whole brisket, I was thinking about 10lbs, but I can do 12lbs...as you have every Egg made, id love to ask you some more questions:

1. the plate setter, should I do it legs up or down?
2. i have a Vrack, should I use this, by placing a foil bin on the grate sit Vrack on top?

ill pick up some pecan chunks, whats your thoughts on soaking them? any benefit?

Ha! I almost had every size but they've added an XXL that is way outta my price range.

Legs up on the platesetter. I put one leg in the back as it tends to be a little hotter back there. I would put the V rack upside down so it is a ^ running left to right. I put the point end if the brisket in the back and drape the flat over the inverted V. You can put a drip pan on the platesetter / under the grid. I like to put spacers under the pan for an air gap to reduce the risk if burnt drippings in the pan.

I don't soak chunks. Water doesn't penetrate enough to make a difference.

lol. R2Egg. Yeah, ive seen pics of the XXL...but thought it was only a prototype...looks ridiculously huge!!! i can see myself getting another egg in the future. have you ever seen the ceramic grill works rig extenders? look cool. gives you nearly double to cooking space in a large egg.

thanks for the tips. especially the Inverted V trick. ill definitely be using that.

when do you really ever use the mini? it literally is MINI...i cant see many uses for it...especially for the asking price.

no water needed in your BGE.. it does a good job of maintaining moisture and you can get steam burns. Also if you want a more impressive smoke ring, put a light coat of sea salt before your main rub (about 6-8 hours before you put the brisket on). Celery salt works good too.

ill tell you, the community on this forum is unreal! thanks everyone! ive been trolling through forums all day...work has been slow...and a quick minimize always works when you have some excel spreadsheets to pop up when the boss man walks by. lol

i think i have a great grasp of what NOT to do and what TO DO. hopefully remember to take pics of my process. this will be interesting.

now to find some butcher paper...

dude you're spot on with this. since I've joined here my que has gotten so much better it's ridiculous. The only warning I have about this place is stay as far away as you can when you're hungry. you'll find yourself trying to eat your screen. co-workers don't know what to do when they see you doing that. :mrgreen:

when do you really ever use the mini? it literally is MINI...i cant see many uses for it...especially for the asking price.

I'm normally cooking for 2 so the mini gets used for small cooks. It is really quick to get up to temp so it works great for weeknight cooks after getting home from work. Yeah, the price is not very proportional to the size of the Mini versus the larger Eggs. Thankfully I didn't have to buy my Mini. I won it as a People's Choice prize cooking at an Eggfest. I have been happier with it than I thought I would be. Basically if I can fit it on the Mini it'll cook it. Here's a video of the kinds of things folks cook on Minis: [ame]http://youtu.be/YXW2tk49VE0[/ame]. There's actually 7 of those Magic Mini Moments vids but I figured one was enough.

Back