Can someone classify this tree?

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I"m pretty sure this is oak. Got it from a friend, The person that cut it said the only thing he cut down was oak. I was just curious to know if someone could tell me what it is. I've cooked with it and it was fine. I was just curious to get a 100% on it for the ****s'n'giggles :)

Last edited:
And those who run similar smokers as a Brinkman Trailmaster LE how big do you normally cut you splits? I've noticed if i split to big I have trouble keeping a decent fire going towards the end of the cook session

Could be oak. Hard to tell by the photo.
I have a better time identifying oak by the grain, not the bark.

Well good news is Thanks to a good buddy of mine they pretty much gave it to me. This was taken after I've already split a decent stack. So where's the meat? I"m ready to smoke!! :thumb:

I'm in the oak camp I cut mine so they lay in the FB on the short dimension about 12" I guess and no bigger in Dia than a beer can

I'm in the oak camp I cut mine so they lay in the FB on the short dimension about 12" I guess and no bigger in Dia than a beer can

Ok now this makes me wonder. You've seen the brinkman trailmaster correct? would you burn your wood going from front to back, or long ways? You have the damper coming in from the side of the fire box! This might help me determine why I have trouble during the last leg of the cook.

Because All the wood laying here is cut to fit long ways. What would be the difference laying the wood short wise?

Looks like it could be white oak......also could be ash. Any leaves mixed in? If you take a close up of a split piece that would help identify it as oak

Ok now this makes me wonder. You've seen the brinkman trailmaster correct? would you burn your wood going from front to back, or long ways? You have the damper coming in from the side of the fire box! This might help me determine why I have trouble during the last leg of the cook.

Because All the wood laying here is cut to fit long ways. What would be the difference laying the wood short wise?
Do you clean out the ash? As that little pan fills up the cool air to the base of the fire decreases and begins to stave the fire for clean air.
Small hot fire. You can see one of my splits preheating
DSCF0199.jpg

Do you clean out the ash? As that little pan fills up the cool air to the base of the fire decreases and begins to stave the fire for clean air.
Small hot fire.

I have never dumped the ash pan while cooking. I figured I would empty it if it got full which by the end of the cook its all most full. I figured it was a good idea to leave that there because i still have trouble keeping a bed of coals after 4-5 hours into the cook. So I also figured it was necessary since coals would drop into the ash pan without being ash yet. I put expanded metal over the top of the grate that came with it. Helped but not much after long cooks

which also brought me to the question which way I should lay the wood into the fire. Because if I laid it short ways The coals probably would wanna stay on the grate instead of fall through! I'm still learning the pit. so I have to try every way possible. I've been cutting my splits about the size of the bottom rack on the cooker from front to back.

Cut 'em tp fit the other direction and take out the expadex. You're restricting the air flow these pits need all the help they can get. It might not seem as though it is causing a restriction but trust me it is the intake damper is barely big enough to keep up with fires requirement for air. The longer you cook the less the coal bed you need once the steel is hot you only need enough to maintain temp. Think of it as cooking with a CI skillet once it's hot you cut back the fire to maintain the pans temp.

So clean out the ash pan often, and burn the wood from front to back of the FB correct? Just making sure. I'll probably find a reason to cook on it in the next day or two just to try this out.

White oak or ash. Leaves would help.

So clean out the ash pan often, and burn the wood from front to back of the FB correct? Just making sure. I'll probably find a reason to cook on it in the next day or two just to try this out.
I normally dump mine about 1/2 way through when the fire acts up, I put my wood in the box parallel to my johnson when I'm in front of the pit sabe :cool:

Here's some splits, one of the pieces split in half, and the other is a few splits. What I've came up with its ether ash, or oak! So those saying they want a split shot, here ya go!

Last edited:
I normally dump mine about 1/2 way through when the fire acts up, I put my wood in the box parallel to my johnson when I'm in front of the pit sabe :cool:

I've noticed this, About 1/2 way through a cook the fire "acts up" and its all down hill from there! Bluedawg do you use the brinkmann alot? what is your current pit? I haven't seen posts on that.

That first pic sure looks like red oak but I don't know what the grain of ash looks like.

That first pic sure looks like red oak but I don't know what the grain of ash looks like.

:confused: So far this is the worst thing about this life style! trying to learn your cuts of wood! HAHAH

Back