Water pan: Weld in or removable?

mavrick1903

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
looking at insulated vertical units these days as they seem more versitle and can do long unattended cooks these days with the fan controllers

So: Weld in or removable and why?

I've never used a water pan, so, I'd say removable.

Besides if welded in it would be a real pain to clean, no?

My smoker has a solid diverter plate with a removable slide in water pan but I never use it as I don't cook with water. My smoker also has a removable grease pan that I line with foil for easy clean up. I would think a welded in water pan would be a hassle to clean?

My Mixon H2O has a welded in water pan which is probably the least favorite part of the smoker. That being said, it is very thick steel and once it is seasoned with fat drippings, it really doesn't rust at all. At the end of the cook, I remove the coals, drain the water pan and wash it out with a hose. If you do this while it is still warm, everything washes out. Replacing/fixing it would really not be terribly difficult, and I expect it will last for many years.

Chris

Well, that would depend on a lot of factors for me.

#1 how large is the water pan. I wouldn't want to remove a very large water pan with hot water with grease.

#2. would I ever want to direct sear on the coal. If by removing a water pan, and accessing the firebox below, I can sear a cowboy steak and then slow smoke it after, i may want a removeable.

#3. Being a comp team also, I may want the ability to remove the waterpan quickly so that I can pack up. Sometimes those drop in removeable waterpans make it tricky if I don't time it right with the water consumption.

Well, that would depend on a lot of factors for me.

#1 how large is the water pan. I wouldn't want to remove a very large water pan with hot water with grease.
Agreed. part of the attraction to a drain.

#2. would I ever want to direct sear on the coal. If by removing a water pan, and accessing the firebox below, I can sear a cowboy steak and then slow smoke it after, i may want a removable.
That's one of the issues I've been contemplating. And one reason to steer away from GF models.

#3. Being a comp team also, I may want the ability to remove the waterpan quickly so that I can pack up. Sometimes those drop in removeable waterpans make it tricky if I don't time it right with the water consumption.

Wouldn't it be faster/safer to dump via drain, give it a rinse and pack up?

Back