smoke goldeye (small fatty fish) on offset

tk4211

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
tk4211
Does anyone smoke whole fish on an offset here? I'm getting a bunch of goldeye - a small fatty fish here in Manitoba and want to try to smoke them. I only have oak wood right now - I've been cooking over charcoal for many years, but just got the offset this fall and am still trying to get the hang of it. Any tips?

I've smoked mullet on my offset before.
Turned out pretty good.
Don't forget to let the fish soak in a salt/sugar brine
for several hours.

I've smoked mullet on my offset before.
Turned out pretty good.
Don't forget to let the fish soak in a salt/sugar brine
for several hours.

Awesome - what temps do you run? I'm assuming 225(ish)? and what temps do you take the fish to?

Yes, 225-230 for smoker temps.
I didn't cook the fish to a specific temperature.
Just used my finger to check for firmness.
BTW, I used pecan kindling in the firebox.

Yes, 225-230 for smoker temps.
I didn't cook the fish to a specific temperature.
Just used my finger to check for firmness.
BTW, I used pecan kindling in the firebox.

Makes sense - I would love to have access to more kinds of wood, but we are pretty limited at what we can get up here in Manitoba :). Thanks for the tips! I'll try them once it warms up outside a bit.

If the fish you are smoking is from your area and people up there typically smoke it then I would expect it to be smoked in whatever wood is prevalent in your area. Know what I mean?

If that's not the case, western alder is a great fish smoking wood. Produces a sweet finish. It's all I use on salmon. Not familiar with your particular scenario. Whatever you do make sure to share details and pics!

Last edited:
If the fish you are smoking is from your area and people up there typically smoke it then I would expect it to be smoked in whatever wood is prevalent in your area. Know what I mean?

If that's not the case, western alder is a great fish smoking wood. Produces a sweet finish. It's all I use on salmon. Not familiar with your particular scenario. Whatever you do make sure to share details and pics!

A lot of people will smoke them with chips in an electric smoker - then you can get whatever kind of wood you want really. Haven't seen a lot of people (or any really...) doing them in an offset, and that is what I have. Oh well - I'll give it a try!

Back