Sorry to read that. Course I had no intention of buying one at the price they were showing of 299.00 !

The 15 gal tall ones are the barrel house cookers. Long story but they were a vacuum tank manufacturing co and were supposed to supply/manufacture PBC's to keep up demand. Instead they overbid Noah on purpose on the last minute and ran off with Noah's confidential business plans and started manufacturing the BHC's. Lawsuit naturally but don't know the outcome if it's still ongoing.

Sorry to read that. Course I had no intention of buying one at the price they were showing of 299.00 !

Far too tiny for the price and especially how the company got started. No support for a person or a company like that. Lol, when you said $299 I check out the site and they have come down in price. They were well over $300 and with some options topping out at $400+. Brian Graves (BHC founder) had a healthy appetite but karma is a ...... A lot folks shunned the company at first because of the shady start.

If you run the PBC on the hotter side...275-325....and if you wrap in foil as soon as the IT of the brisket gets to 160ish...then you should be able to pull it probe tender in about 8 hours total cook time on the PBC....then let it rest for a while in a cooler for at least an hour.

Hey Tony,

About 8-9 hrs only because it's a 15lber. I don't monitor anything in mine either but it runs 275-325 on average when I checked years ago.

BTW you coming to the bash?

So, I am planning on doing a brisket for dinner on Thursday. I am figuring about a 10 hour cook at the most, but I have wiggle room. Dinner will be around 6:00 ish probably but we'll be out of the house from about 11:30 to 4 or 5. Here is what I am thinking.

Start the cook around 10 or 11 pm on Wednesday. Let it go through the night figuring sometime early in the morning I'll be wrapping it after the stall and putting it back on to finish up to 200/205. This way I can have it all rested and put in the reefer while we are out and then warm it later at dinner time.

OR

Should I start it a later and time the resting while we are gone? Is 4-5 hours of resting in the cooler too long?

Thanks.

So, I am planning on doing a brisket for dinner on Thursday. I am figuring about a 10 hour cook at the most, but I have wiggle room. Dinner will be around 6:00 ish probably but we'll be out of the house from about 11:30 to 4 or 5. Here is what I am thinking.

Start the cook around 10 or 11 pm on Wednesday. Let it go through the night figuring sometime early in the morning I'll be wrapping it after the stall and putting it back on to finish up to 200/205. This way I can have it all rested and put in the reefer while we are out and then warm it later at dinner time.

OR

Should I start it a later and time the resting while we are gone? Is 4-5 hours of resting in the cooler too long?

Thanks.

I'd got with resting while you're gone instead of warming. A 4-5 hour rest won't be a problem if done properly. My last couple briskets have rested 4-5+ hours and still hot to the touch at serving. Have to say those were by far the best briskets I've ever done.

Once I pull, I open up the wrap and rest it on a counter top for 5-10 mins to avoid carryover during rest. Wrap it back up, wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler. Some people load up more towels on top but I find it unnecessary unless the weather or your cooler is cold. In which case I either open up the lid and expose it to the sun to warm up a bit or people warm it up by pouring in some warm/hot water. Obviously to warm the cooler and the water goes out before the brisket goes in for rest. Just in case another person reading gets confused. :becky:

My life has been simplified even more when it comes to resting since the day I scored a Cambro. Open it and pop it in. Done.

Once I pull, I open up the wrap and rest it on a counter top for 5-10 mins to avoid carryover during rest.

My life has been simplified even more when it comes to resting since the day I scored a Cambro. Open it and pop it in. Done.

Do you still open and rest 5-10 before tossing it in the Cambro?

Do you still open and rest 5-10 before tossing it in the Cambro?

I do. It a must to vent to stop the cooking process. Some people rest it for longer like 20-30 mins but I've been happy with 5-10.

Thank you much, that's what I had assumed, but wanted to check.

:thumb:

Last one I rested in the cooler (below) before the Cambro was 5+ hours and IT read 140. It's recommended for IT not to drop less than 140 when resting that long for food safety concerns. One of the best dang briskets I did. Resting is key I found out eventually.

T1GlaPrh.jpg

Wtsx39th.jpg

cKEp8lPh.jpg

:thumb:

Last one I rested in the cooler (below) before the Cambro was 5+ hours and IT read 140. It's recommended for IT not to drop less than 140 when resting that long for food safety concerns. One of the best dang briskets I did. Resting is key I found out eventually.

That looks mighty tasty. I've been reading about the holding since I've joined here, and had good luck with it so far! I've been using the cooler and towel method, but it's obnoxious. I have a sister in law in the food service industry, so if she can't get us a deal on a Cambro, we are looking at those Cater Gaters. Not only does the hold help the food-it gives you a lot of flexibility in cooking times vs serving times.

That looks mighty tasty. I've been reading about the holding since I've joined here, and had good luck with it so far! I've been using the cooler and towel method, but it's obnoxious. I have a sister in law in the food service industry, so if she can't get us a deal on a Cambro, we are looking at those Cater Gaters. Not only does the hold help the food-it gives you a lot of flexibility in cooking times vs serving times.

Absolutely! I use it a lot especially for keeping food hot/warm during parties. Like mashed potatoes or Mac n cheese for example. I scored mine from a church sale for $60. Great shape including the gasket and latches. Best $60 I've spent. If I hadn't I would totally jump on a cater gator.

So what makes a cambro so great over a cooler? Aren't they basically a cooler being that they are insulated?

Back