I live across from the beach so it is always breezy to start and then nice and windy later in to the afternoon. I keep the barrel away from directly being hit by the wind so it doesn't take off on me and to also keep the uneven burn from being so heavy.

Rib Rub - i had the SAME exact frustrations for the longest time and I installed the lava gasket-problem solved...doesn't run hot and no smoke coming from lid. I have other issues with the PBC as I still struggle to dial in temps, but I'm going to try 32-35 coals to start with on my next cook and I think that will help. Definitely buy the lava gasket and install that on the lid. The lid will then sit perfectly on the PBC.
I always thought the smoke under the lid was normal. Like I said somebody told me to try lava gasket and seat the lid with a rubber mallet. Going to try it.

i'm on another forum that's dedicated to PBC owners and talks about lighting methods, leaky lids, etc, etc. There should be NO smoke coming from under lid...only from rebar holes. My understanding is if its coming from the lid there's a leak...probably a warped lid. I had the same temp issues for almost 2 yrs. until i discovered my lid leaked. Installed the gasket around the rim of the lid and not only did it keep temps in check but honestly I tend to have to crack the lid to keep temps up. I tried pounding the lid with a rubber mallet before i installed the gasket and it didn't help (fyi). Hope that helps you guys. Again, having said all that I still struggle a bit with temps where i want but I admit I like to tinker with I'm a control freak so I really have a hard time just 'letting it do its thing' as I want to try to keep the cooker in a certain range.

I've only had my PBC for about a month, so I'm not going to pretend that I know more about it then most of you posting about temps in this thread. But the PBC is the first smoker I've used that I can just trust. I have no idea what temp mine runs at. Everything I've cooked on it so far has been better than anything I've cooked before.

Funny my lid, and rim of the barrel is gunked up with so much grease, that is smokes from under the lid, but it doesn't affect my temps. Sure I may pack it to capacity with meat, then I sometimes fight dying temps because of all the condensation, but almost every time I start it up, the temps start in the 350-370 range, but within 10 or so mins, it comes down to 270-300.

Going to try something new this weekend and wanted some advice. I've had a lot of issues lately with KBB (seems that it's a common problem) so i'm planning to switch to Blues Hog Lump as my local butcher sells it. I've never used lump charcoal before so was hoping to get some advice/tips for using it with the PBC.

Also, my local butcher has their prime brisket on sale this week for $3.99# so i'm planning on picking one up and cooking it on Saturday. I've never done a brisket before (did a flat once with poor results) so any advice/tips for cooking the brisket on the PBC with the Blues Hog charcoal will be greatly appreciated. I do have some Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub that I was planning to use on the brisket.

Thanks for your help!

Lava gasket?

Had the same issue as RibRib. Fought (wildly) inconsistent temps for the first year. Finally went with PartyQ. It holds it steady, but there’s no way I can get the cook times others are reporting. 3 hours and I’m adding more KBB.

I sure don’t think my lid is warped, but this lava gasket seems like it might be something to add - just because. Where should I look for it? Does It come in a roll like weatherstripping? Or is there a pre-made for diameter of PBC? Just pushing into groove in lid and letting weight hold it down? You don’t need to pound the lid (with gasket installed) down like a 5gal paint bucket?

Thanks!
ER

Count me as another one interested in the gasket thing. My seal hasn't been as tight since moving in September of 2017. I can get it to a point where it isn't too bad but I feel like it moves a bit from side-to-side. Smoke will be coming out of the lid on the left side so then I move the lid to the right a bit and now the left side is fine but the smoke is coming out of the right. I dick around with it for a bit to find a happy medium but it wasn't like that before the move.

Another question. I haven't cooked in maybe six weeks so I'm looking forward to doing so on Saturday. Was thinking about getting six racks of ribs but was wondering if anyone halves their racks? How were your results? The ends near the coals can be too overcooked at times so I was thinking about cutting them in half so they aren't so close. Can allow for different sauces for those I decide to sauce as well.

Had the same issue as RibRib. Fought (wildly) inconsistent temps for the first year. Finally went with PartyQ. It holds it steady, but there’s no way I can get the cook times others are reporting. 3 hours and I’m adding more KBB.

I sure don’t think my lid is warped, but this lava gasket seems like it might be something to add - just because. Where should I look for it? Does It come in a roll like weatherstripping? Or is there a pre-made for diameter of PBC? Just pushing into groove in lid and letting weight hold it down? You don’t need to pound the lid (with gasket installed) down like a 5gal paint bucket?

Thanks!
ER

If you are adding more KBB after 3 hours then something is seriously wrong. A full basket would last me 8-10. I would do partial basket cooks for ribs and stuff where I would get 3-4 hours on very little charcoal.

Check out these older posts in the thread. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3906815&highlight=hours#post3906815

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't care about leaking lids or doors on a smoker. My WSM leaked smoke at the door and the lid and it cooked fine. Both of my Good One smokers leak smoke and they work great. I'm not even sure if my PBC's leak because I've not paid attention. They both work great.

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't care about leaking lids or doors on a smoker. My WSM leaked smoke at the door and the lid and it cooked fine. Both of my Good One smokers leak smoke and they work great. I'm not even sure if my PBC's leak because I've not paid attention. They both work great.

Beleive me, my nature is to not give a rip about a leaky smoker. After all, it's just a smoker and nothing more. But if a $5 (or $6 or whatever) gasket makes an improvement - I'm in. I'm lazy, not uninterested!

Beleive me, my nature is to not give a rip about a leaky smoker. After all, it's just a smoker and nothing more. But if a $5 (or $6 or whatever) gasket makes an improvement - I'm in. I'm lazy, not uninterested!

Same. Not a real problem for me at the moment but could maybe turn into one?

Another question. I haven't cooked in maybe six weeks so I'm looking forward to doing so on Saturday. Was thinking about getting six racks of ribs but was wondering if anyone halves their racks? How were your results? The ends near the coals can be too overcooked at times so I was thinking about cutting them in half so they aren't so close. Can allow for different sauces for those I decide to sauce as well.

A few years ago I dropped a full back rib rack from the hook pulling through, and since I usually do 3 at a time decided I might as well cut them in half. I like it this way much better, since there's not as much weight but also I can pull the thinner halves off when they are ready and let the thicker parts go a little longer.

So net I've found I get better results and no crispy ends, though that rack I dropped I just pulled off the coals with a glove and it was still delicious :-o

And it's not like I can eat a full rack in one sitting anyway, so it's a bit of pre-packaging too :biggrin1:

I've only had my PBC for about a month, so I'm not going to pretend that I know more about it then most of you posting about temps in this thread. But the PBC is the first smoker I've used that I can just trust. I have no idea what temp mine runs at. Everything I've cooked on it so far has been better than anything I've cooked before.

Congrats on learning the lesson quicker than I did. It took about a year, but I don’t measure the PBC temp anymore.

It just does what it’s supposed to do. I just goof it up if I mess with it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are adding more KBB after 3 hours then something is seriously wrong. A full basket would last me 8-10. I would do partial basket cooks for ribs and stuff where I would get 3-4 hours on very little charcoal.

Check out these older posts in the thread. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3906815&highlight=hours#post3906815

How do you set up the partial basket cooks? I was thinking of giving it a try...maybe using bricks to keep the coals on one side of the basket.

How do you set up the partial basket cooks? I was thinking of giving it a try...maybe using bricks to keep the coals on one side of the basket.

Click that link I posted. No bricks necessary.

dyPyDJ5l.jpg

iR0Snrol.jpg

Speaking of fuel... I have run into issues when doing a pulled pork - most recently two weeks ago. Hung 8 lb butt for about 4 hours - stalled at 158, wrapped in butcher paper and grated. And waited, and waited. My god, the stall - I know we've all been there. Finally got it into the 160s, but at about 8 hours, the PBC started losing it's power, eventually got down to 210ish and certainly looked like coal was spent. Do folks refuel their PBC on a long cook like this? Just finish in the oven? My two experiences with long cooks on large cuts I've run the barrel down and wasn't sure how folks handled. I did not get this butt as high as I wanted, ended up with a long wrapped rest and it tasted fine.. Thanks!

Speaking of fuel... I have run into issues when doing a pulled pork - most recently two weeks ago. Hung 8 lb butt for about 4 hours - stalled at 158, wrapped in butcher paper and grated. And waited, and waited. My god, the stall - I know we've all been there. Finally got it into the 160s, but at about 8 hours, the PBC started losing it's power, eventually got down to 210ish and certainly looked like coal was spent. Do folks refuel their PBC on a long cook like this? Just finish in the oven? My two experiences with long cooks on large cuts I've run the barrel down and wasn't sure how folks handled. I did not get this butt as high as I wanted, ended up with a long wrapped rest and it tasted fine.. Thanks!

I've never had to add fuel. The biggest thing I cooked was an 18 pound brisket which finished in about 6 hours. I've had some butts go as long as 9 (It was unwrapped), but I still had plenty of heat/fuel.

Back