Spotted this impressive display today at Westlake Ace in St. Louis Co. Backside had just about every accessory you could want.

Attachments

• 0331191207~3.jpg
    0331191207~3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 274
I don’t get this cooker. I have such a problem with up and down temps. It either runs to hot or barley runs at all. I have been doing split whole chicken on the thing all winter and they have turned out great. Wife loves it. I have had some issues with temps doing the chicken, but managed to get it done. So I decided to do some ribs on the barrel today and sure enough it ran very hot. I did not have a temp gauge in it because you set and forget it and that is what I did today. It just seemed that it ran very hot and my ribs are pretty well done and they are even a bit charred at or about the 3 hour mark. I actually hooked them on both ends today and rotated the ribs every hour to keep consistency. I was surprised as I went out to go check them and they were done. I actually closed the vent a little more before I started as I am at or about sea level and I need just a crack.

As much as I love this thing I think I am going to sell it and get a Gateway or Hunsaker or just keep it for Chicken. I just cannot seem to get a smooth cook and there does not seem to be a way to control the thing if it is running hot other than play with the vent which will screw it all up if you shut it and the thing fizzles out. I used a brand new bag of Kingsford, bought it off the shelf of a busy store this morning. Anybody else have issues with temps or cooking to fast?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bb7.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_bb7.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 197
I don’t get this cooker. I have such a problem with up and down temps. It either runs to hot or barley runs at all. I have been doing split whole chicken on the thing all winter and they have turned out great. Wife loves it. I have had some issues with temps doing the chicken, but managed to get it done. So I decided to do some ribs on the barrel today and sure enough it ran very hot. I did not have a temp gauge in it because you set and forget it and that is what I did today. It just seemed that it ran very hot and my ribs are pretty well done and they are even a bit charred at or about the 3 hour mark. I actually hooked them on both ends today and rotated the ribs every hour to keep consistency. I was surprised as I went out to go check them and they were done. I actually closed the vent a little more before I started as I am at or about sea level and I need just a crack.

As much as I love this thing I think I am going to sell it and get a Gateway or Hunsaker or just keep it for Chicken. I just cannot seem to get a smooth cook and there does not seem to be a way to control the thing if it is running hot other than play with the vent which will screw it all up if you shut it and the thing fizzles out. I used a brand new bag of Kingsford, bought it off the shelf of a busy store this morning. Anybody else have issues with temps or cooking to fast?

Do you think part of the problem was being in and out of it every hour rotating them? It is really easy to send the temps crazy opening it up often.

I have one of the original barrels and it cooks like a dream , it is getting some age and wear and tear on it , it makes me a little nervous to think of having to replace it with one of the new ones built in china , when that day comes I will probably opt out for a 22 wsm , gateway, Hunsaker or riptangle ….

You will have to get used to smoking on drums or bullet style smokers like the WSM- no matter which one you go with in the end. You really have to be careful on how long you leave the lid off because you are letting lots of air in and temps can take off. The other thing you will have to be aware of is how much charcoal you light at the start of the cook. I've never felt the need to double hook ribs on mine or with the hanging kits for my WSM or drum smokers. Get some more practice, watch some videos because again once you get the hang of it, the pbc is really easy to use.

Do you think part of the problem was being in and out of it every hour rotating them? It is really easy to send the temps crazy opening it up often.
Every video I have ever seen I see people checking on their stuff. It is not like I am opening the thing every five minutes. I opened it once an hour to spritz and rotate. I don’t think that is out of line for any cooker.

You will have to get used to smoking on drums or bullet style smokers like the WSM- no matter which one you go with in the end. You really have to be careful on how long you leave the lid off because you are letting lots of air in and temps can take off. The other thing you will have to be aware of is how much charcoal you light at the start of the cook. I've never felt the need to double hook ribs on mine or with the hanging kits for my WSM or drum smokers. Get some more practice, watch some videos because again once you get the hang of it, the pbc is really easy to use.
I fill a mini weber. Pit barrel says 40 coals. Like I said this think is either blazing hot or barley cooking.

I have one of the original barrels and it cooks like a dream , it is getting some age and wear and tear on it , it makes me a little nervous to think of having to replace it with one of the new ones built in china , when that day comes I will probably opt out for a 22 wsm , gateway, Hunsaker or riptangle ….

I have both and they cook the same to me.

Every video I have ever seen I see people checking on their stuff. It is not like I am opening the thing every five minutes. I opened it once an hour to spritz and rotate. I don’t think that is out of line for any cooker.

You were commenting on your cook as if you wanted feedback on it. I have hundreds of cooks on mine and don't have this problem, so was just trying to offer up a suggestion.

I found it it took getting used to being blind so to speak so I installed a dial thermometer. - you could run a probe wire through the rebar holes too. After that I realized my temps weren’t getting hot enough so I added an exhaust damper. I’ve seen people add a Weber damper as well but this one works for me. With the exhaust damper i can dial up or down really well. I think the most important part is to not let the temps get away from you because once theres a fire roaring its hard to get it down. Give it a few more tries and I think you will get the hang of it.
https://bbqsmokersupply.com/uds-parts/2-id-air-inlet-or-exhaust-for-uds-smoker-w-flange.html

f7dca2ef07886a1e617ee8656e57bc2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don’t get this cooker. I have such a problem with up and down temps. It either runs to hot or barley runs at all.

Once I figured out the prevailing wind influence I had to learn to stop futsing with my vent shutter. That made a lot of difference, for me.

At sea level as well but mine is open more than the documentation suggests.

I also learned to stick with one fuel source until I got consistency. Then I experimented.

I usually light 34-37 KBB bricketts and I stay in the 250-320 range. My biggest problem lately is the coals ashing in a way that's snuffing out the fire in a long cook. I'm thinking I've got a bad batch of KBB and if it keeps happening I'll switch charcoal. I think before you abandoned your PBC you should try a different charcoal or maybe try lump. It's certainly cheaper than buying a new smoker if you can get your PBC running the way you want. If not not then you can sell and you're only out ~$20

I am one of the few that doesn't care about what temp the barrel is running at. I know about how long it takes for things to cook and I start checking doneness at that time.

My old PBC and the newer one cooks the same.

You were commenting on your cook as if you wanted feedback on it. I have hundreds of cooks on mine and don't have this problem, so was just trying to offer up a suggestion.
Did not take it wrong, I just gave an opinion back on it. Just seems strange that opening a lid a few times would cause it to run hot. But I know what you mean, it does seem to flare up when you open it.

However I think I may have found the problem. I think the lid is warped. I noticed smoke coming from out under the lid last night. Did not think anything of it at the time. I was in the garage today and noticed that the lid does not lay flush. I push one end down and the other end it up of the base. It is not a big gap, but it is not laying flush. I think I am going to try and get a new lid. I seen some guys use a lava gasket? No hard feelings man!

I am one of the few that doesn't care about what temp the barrel is running at. I know about how long it takes for things to cook and I start checking doneness at that time.

My old PBC and the newer one cooks the same.
That is how I see it. That is why yesterday I just did not monitor the temps because I know the thing has a mind of it own so you just let it roll. But the problem yesterday was two racks of ribs in probably 2 hours and 45 minutes. They were good, but they were also over cooked and shared up a bit. It caught me by surprise. This is the problem I am having is it is cooking so up and down that I cannot dial it in. As I said below I think I may have found the problem with the lid being a bit warped.

That is how I see it. That is why yesterday I just did not monitor the temps because I know the thing has a mind of it own so you just let it roll. But the problem yesterday was two racks of ribs in probably 2 hours and 45 minutes. They were good, but they were also over cooked and shared up a bit. It caught me by surprise. This is the problem I am having is it is cooking so up and down that I cannot dial it in. As I said below I think I may have found the problem with the lid being a bit warped.

The lid being warped could effect how it cooks but I would think it would cause the barrel to run hot most of the time because of the extra air flow.

Another thing to consider is whether or not there is any wind when you are cooking and if so, where is your lower vent pointed in relationship to the wind. Where I live it's windy about 90% of the time so I really have to pay attention to that and is why I use a windbreak on most of my cooks no matter which grill or smoker I'm using.

Rib Rub - i had the SAME exact frustrations for the longest time and I installed the lava gasket-problem solved...doesn't run hot and no smoke coming from lid. I have other issues with the PBC as I still struggle to dial in temps, but I'm going to try 32-35 coals to start with on my next cook and I think that will help. Definitely buy the lava gasket and install that on the lid. The lid will then sit perfectly on the PBC.

Interesting with the lava gasket. I have it on my GMG, but havent seen/heard anyone using on a PBC.

I hadn't heard of anyone using lava gasket on a PBC either but I think I will give it a try as well. I fight high temps in mine every time I use it and always thought the smoke coming around the lid was fairly normal. I am down to using 12 to 15 coals to start each time. About an hour or so in I am around 300 and climbing so I have to foil my all but one rebar hole and the intake is nearly as closed I can get it. After using it for about a year I have learned to keep a close eye on the temps. The first time I used it the temps were over 400 before I could get it closed down. I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying one though and am a huge fan of them. Once you learn how yours operates you will turn out some terrific food!

Back