What to charge for Q?

bwram1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK...I have smoked for work events where the company provided the meats, charcoal, sides (etc) and I simply [prepped/cooked. Now, my regional boss wants me to provide him with 8-10 pounds of Q in 1lb packages. What would y'all charge him if y'all were in my shoes? Most local joints run around 7-8 bucks per pound, but my Q ain't "most local joints"...

bwram1, we've not met yet. Hello. I noticed you're in Conover. I grew up there as a small child, way back in the 60's... I dont remember much, but I remember that I liked it there.

Me, I'd make a couple of extra butts on my next cook and hook him up. I figure you have just under $4/lb ($2 before cooking, ends up being around $4 after all the fat is rendered, etc.) in meat cost. That doesn't cover any fuel, spices, your efforts. It's up to you, but I wouldn't charge less than $5/lb, and that's basically giving it away...

The way a restaurant makes money is that they get the meats wholesale which usually runs around $1/lb vs. most consumers $2/lb purchase.

Assuming you are talking about pulled pork, sauced... For that small a load, there is no efficiency to be had to keep the price down. Between your product, supplies, equipment, time and packaging I think $10/lb (an even $100) is more than fair.

Is there a big promotion in your future?? Just saying. :decision:

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

I have friends that I cook brisket (flats) for and sell to occasionally. I pay around $3.50 per pound by the case for the flats. I weigh each piece before cooking or trimming so I have a starting weight. I charge $5.00 a pound based on the raw untrimmed weight. If you use 50% shrink that makes the cooked price $10.00 per pound. It doesn't make me any money, but it does cover the cost of meat, seasonings, and pellets. I always cook at least 3 flats so I have some brisket for me so I am using the pellets anyway. And I am cooking for friends, not profit.

Assuming you are talking about pulled pork, sauced... For that small a load, there is no efficiency to be had to keep the price down. Between your product, supplies, equipment, time and packaging I think $10/lb (an even $100) is more than fair.
I agree with billy. You, your supplies, equipment, and time are not free. I am sure your boss already understands that. Good Q is worth $10/lb.

Go Vegan or Pescatarian until a new boss arrives. I was a boss for a long time. It's poor management to request personal favors from those you supervise. Maybe offer a group lesson in your backyard? That whole "teach a man to fish" thing comes to mind.

Like any good dealer knows, the first taste is ALWAYS free...

Gouge once they are hooked.

I don't know your boss....but I do know the area:thumb:

So that leaves me with three options to suggest depending on your relationship with your boss.

1st is to do it on your dime

2nd is to ask "to pay for the materials"...about $40

3rd is to charge 9-10 bucks a pound and be done with it....you could charge more but you know how it is around the area.

Most importantly is if you choose either of the first two options is to MAKE SURE he knows from that point on you will want $10-12/lb. And after tasting your bbq(knowing what I know about your local BBQ) he will gladly pay from that point on!

My suggestion: Take the price of items provided, including meat, spices, condiments, etc, and double it. You should break about even on a cost basis. (Fuel for the smoker, other items that are harder to itemize.)

Cost recovery is generally accepted as non-commercial for events such as this. Try to make a profit and the Health Department may be on your case.

you have lots of extra time into 1 pound packages, 10 to 12 per pound..once you do it for free they always want it free and laugh as they are walkiing away with great product...

I'd say $10 a pound is a fair price, that is what I sell mine for, just to friends and family. But, since he is your boss, you may want to shoot him that price, and then say, "Well, I'll give you a break this time, how about $8 a pound?" Then he thinks he is getting a deal, and you make a couple of bucks and look like a good guy doing it.

you have lots of extra time into 1 pound packages, 10 to 12 per pound..once you do it for free they always want it free and laugh as they are walkiing away with great product...

Bingo! This is what I've learned and unfortunately learned it the hard way. We used to have some neighbors that asked me to "throw something on the smoker" for them "since I as already smoking something". I had no problem doing that but I didn't think it would become a routine thing. Had to ultimately have a very uncomfortable conversation with him to let him know that I didn't mind doing stuff for him but I couldn't keep doing it for free.

Back