Beer can chicken on the kettle

Pig_Farmer

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, I was planning on doing this cook on Saturday but I got too involved in playing with my Blackstone (yeah, I know how that sounded). I brined the chicken in Kosmos “Chicken Soak” overnight and part way into Sunday. Removed from the brine and trimmed up the chicken a little. Dried it and rubbed some EVOO all over. Seasoned it with some JP Custom Smoke “Sweet Heat”. Added a little black pepper. And sat her down on a can of La Cumbre Malpias Stout. I had to cut the can down to make it fit. I then cut up some potatoes and put them in the pan around the chicken and drowned them in the same beer. Put it all on the Weber at around 280°. Pulled it off when breast was 180ish and thigh was around 170ish. Skin was nice and crispy, not burnt. Taters were done with a taste of stout beer. I thought the taters were great but the wife was not impressed. She’s not a beer drinker and not a fan of the taste of beer on her taters. Green beans, nothing special. Bacon grease and seasonings. All in all, it was really good. It had great flavor and was super moist.

Attachments

• 20180415_151642.jpg
    20180415_151642.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 254
  • 20180415_183650.jpg
    20180415_183650.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 20180415_184402.jpg
    20180415_184402.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 254
Looks great.

I smoked two of them yesterday in my stick burner, one of my family's favorites, wish I took pics.

I've been cooking these for years on my gasser, kettle and the stick burner and I can never even get close to crispy skin.

Oh well, maybe one of these days...

Looks great.

I smoked two of them yesterday in my stick burner, one of my family's favorites, wish I took pics.

I've been cooking these for years on my gasser, kettle and the stick burner and I can never even get close to crispy skin.

Oh well, maybe one of these days...

I've always done beer can chickens around 275-300 with a good coating of EVOO. I tend to get a crispy skin. Not always but most of the time.

Thanks, Carl.

I've always cooked them around 350-375 grate temp, next time I'll try to hold it around 300.

Very nice. I haven't done a beer can chicken in quite awhile. Thanks for the reminder, I think it's time.

Was that a minion or sanke method on the Weber? Appx time?

No not minion. Used the Weber baskets. One on each side, water pan in between them. I used apple chuncks gor some smoke and flavor. I think it was right around 3 hours. Maybe a bit more.

Back