270 or Humphrey's....

The 270 is designed to run as a direct or inverted smoker. There are two exhausts at the top of the unit right next to each other. The one in front vents from the top of the cook chamber. The back one is connected to a chimney that vents from the bottom of the cook chamber. You choose which exhaust to close with the removable chimney cap. Cover the front exhaust and you’ve got an inverted smoker. Cover the back and it’s direct. The convection properties work best in the inverted smoker mode. Pretty ingenious design.

270 is based in Virginia. Not sure how far that is from where you live in WV, but you might be able to swing down and pick one up. If I hadn’t bought mine used, I was going to drive to the factory and just buy a new one.

FYI for anyone looking for a 270. Talked to Stephanie today who is an owner. They have a large 270 with lots of upgrades that is used for $2300. I would have bought, but it is an inch too big to get through my back garage door to patio.

The smoker is listed on website. Pretty good deal with upgrades. Tons of cooking space. It is a year old. College traded the smoker back in for a bigger one. Always kept inside. Hopefully someone else can benefit from this.

I missed out on a standard refurbished for $1600 this morning. Had it the cart to buy and it came up sold out. They don’t get these used ones often. The standard was from their cooking team. It was fully repainted. Wish I could have got this one. Probably go with a KC once my other smoker is sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 270 sumo. I was looking for something that could be used in winter with little attention to it.

It is all that and more...I do see how the have a windshiled now, but I have literally never needed anything...no wind shields, no temp controllers, no nothing. It cooks awesome BBQ and I couldn't be happier.

Super bowl sunday I did my first ever brisket (10lbs), I did 3 racks of ribs, moinkballs, and pork shots. I started the cooker at 5:30am, brisket in at 6:30, ribs in at 8:30...everything was done at 2pm. It was honestly the best day I've had cooking BBQ. Everything was sensational...and I had left the house for a few hours in between. I used no temp controller, nothing...and it was a colllldddd start to the morning that day.

I did pay a boat load to ship it up here but I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure the humphrey's is a quality product, I have no experience with them.

Now I want one of their bigger models.

I have the Sumo too, my only gripe is that I wish the racks were a little deeper and big enough for a full steam table pan. I think they made them a little deeper on the new model that is the equivalent size wise to the old Sumo.

Owners usually claim faster cooking because of convection. I agree with your comment though. Never cooked on one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My baby backs get done in less than 4 hours at 250 and I can easily finish a small brisket in 5 hours at 270 on my Sumo. Taste and tenderness are great but I don't get a super fat smoke ring. I still get a smoke ring, just not a very thick one. I'm not really worried about it though, I just cook to eat and it tastes great. And it could have more to do with the rub than the smoker, I think more salt in the rub produces more of a smoke ring. I don't do an spg base rub like some do, I just use one rub and it's usually either Butcher BBQ's Honey Rub or Memphis BBQ Supply's Honey Rub.

Back