Sako, I'd contact Noah and see if he can ship you a replacement lid. I can't imagine it'd cost too much. Hell he may even send you one for free if he remembers you and some of the cook pictures of yours he's seen!

I'll call him up. I need a new lid for sure.

Anyone ever try any alternative methods to start the coals in this thing? I know the instructions call for you to take out what is it 15 to 30 briquettes and light them in a chimney then dump them on the unlit coals. just curious if anyone had ever tried anything else like maybe hitting it with a blowtorch or weed burner for a few? Or electric charcoal starter.

Last edited:
Anyone ever try any alternative methods to start the coals in this thing? I know the instructions call for you to take out what is it 15 to 30 briquettes and light them in a chimney then dump them on the unlit coals. just curious if anyone had ever tried anything else like maybe hitting it with a blowtorch or weed burner for a few? It electric charcoal starter.

I've done it every which way except counting coals. My preferred method is hitting it with a blowtorch. All depends on the cook I'm doing. I blew out the hose on my blowtorch and haven't gotten around to getting a replacement.

zepzj9wh.jpg

I've done it every which way except counting coals. My preferred method is hitting it with a blowtorch. All depends on the cook I'm doing. I blew out the hose on my blowtorch and haven't gotten around to getting a replacement.

zepzj9wh.jpg

That's awesome. About how quick can you get it fired up and ready to go using that method, would estimate?

Hello, today I am taking delivery of my pbc. Very excited! I started smoking on a electric smoker (masterbuilt) had great results but decided it was time to be a man. So I got a Weber kettle and was a happy man. With limited cooking space and fighting to keep temps in target zone I knew it was time for a upgrade. Was deciding between the PBC and the WSM, went for the PBC and can’t wait. I read the last 1k post on this thread, I noticed no one did a pastrami I love doing pastrami so I hope I’m good there. Just very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome rs! I'm sure you could do pastrami in the PBC. I bet it'll give you a slightly different taste that what you are use to but will still be very good.
I'm looking forward to seeing your posts if you do cook one though. I'm sure the other PBCer folks here look forward to it too.

Glad to have another PBC owner post in the thread..Good luck! :thumb:

Lol should have known you did one Sako. I was actually going to say that I'm my post but wasn't positive if you had. I should know better....:biggrin1:

Lol should have known you did one Sako. I was actually going to say that I'm my post but wasn't positive if you had. I should know better....:biggrin1:

Lol Andrew. I think I tried most everything on the PBC. I didn't really remember which cooker until I just looked it up and sure enough it was the PBC.

Hello, today I am taking delivery of my pbc. Very excited! I started smoking on a electric smoker (masterbuilt) had great results but decided it was time to be a man. So I got a Weber kettle and was a happy man. With limited cooking space and fighting to keep temps in target zone I knew it was time for a upgrade. Was deciding between the PBC and the WSM, went for the PBC and can’t wait. I read the last 1k post on this thread, I noticed no one did a pastrami I love doing pastrami so I hope I’m good there. Just very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you’re here, RS! You made a good choice on the cooker! Good luck finding something Sako hasn’t done...

Dadgum

File this under “Duh”

Learn from my rough cook yesterday. I didn’t have the setup all figured out for a cook (regular grate vs. split grate vs. hang everything; probes here and there and repositioning things to get ‘em to fit, etc.

I figured the way to do it would be clear once i got in there, so I had the pbc running before I realized I had some real challenges. Short story: I was fiddling with the setup way too long with the lid off, which let the fire get running crazy. As we all know, the key to getting the PBC to be “set it and forget it” is a successful initial lighting process. Otherwise, you’ll be fighting it all afternoon, which is what I ended up doing.

It wanted to run at 375. I’d restrict airflow a bit and she’d crash to 225. Open it up just a smidge, and she shoots back up to 350. No fun. Gotta get the setup figured out BEFORE lighting. The other side effect of multiple episodes of choking off the fire was that it didn’t produce the greatest smoke—some bad smoke from a choked fire. Not a great cook. Operator error. Newbies: learn from my dopiness.

Tough one, KC. I sometimes sit and stare at it for a solid ten minutes trying to figure out how to set up since all of my cooks are a "cook until it isn't hot enough" cook that generally feature a large cut (butt/brisket/ribs) and then multiple other things (brats/wings/fatty etc.). Will these things fit with the big cuts? Will I need to maybe move the big cut to the stove when foiled so I can cook everything else before the heat dissipates?

It shouldn't be so hard and I always feel slightly stupid for taking so long to figure it out since I second-guess myself the entire time, but its better than fighting temps all day :-D

If you want 375° do whatever you did to get 350° and pull one of the rebar. Pulling a rebar will increase the temp almost exactly 25° in my experience.

Also it's better to increase temps by cracking the lid. A small crack will get you in the 325 range. About an inch will get you in the 350 range a little more should push you to 375. I never mess with the intake. Really it's not meant to be adjusted...

Tough one, KC. I sometimes sit and stare at it for a solid ten minutes trying to figure out how to set up since all of my cooks are a "cook until it isn't hot enough" cook that generally feature a large cut (butt/brisket/ribs) and then multiple other things (brats/wings/fatty etc.). Will these things fit with the big cuts? Will I need to maybe move the big cut to the stove when foiled so I can cook everything else before the heat dissipates?

It shouldn't be so hard and I always feel slightly stupid for taking so long to figure it out since I second-guess myself the entire time, but its better than fighting temps all day :-D

Yep, that's the smart way to do it, BK! Impulsive/impatient/over-confident rubes like me just get in there start moving stuff around.

Back