Hot pastrami on rye!

BuffaloDave

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
David
Been toying with my pastrami and sourdough rye recipes for a while now.... Very happy with the results lately. This was 1855 prime brisket, smoked over cherry/oak. Another pic of some past pastrami sliced cold. I can't get enough!

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_131228_641.jpg
    IMG_20210307_131228_641.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20201118_105512_189.jpg
    IMG_20201118_105512_189.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20201029_074247_579.jpg
    IMG_20201029_074247_579.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 151
Yes brined for 12 days, soaked in water for a day to take some salt out. I like to go heavy on the coriander in both the brine and rub

I'm working in unison with another curing guy on an injectable corning brine which may have beer as an ingredient, along with pickling spices and seasonings like pepper and coriander. Cooking corned beef is popular, but many folks on barbecue forums tend to make pastrami, so I want the corning brine to take that into account.

I'm working in unison with another curing guy on an injectable corning brine which may have beer as an ingredient, along with pickling spices and seasonings like pepper and coriander. Cooking corned beef is popular, but many folks on barbecue forums tend to make pastrami, so I want the corning brine to take that into account.

My next venture will be dry brine/vac seal to see if I can cut down on cure time. I didn't inject this time because I wasn't in a rush. I have 2.5 more packers cured and sitting in rub right now. Probably another pastrami on rye day wednesday!

My next venture will be dry brine/vac seal to see if I can cut down on cure time. I didn't inject this time because I wasn't in a rush. I have 2.5 more packers cured and sitting in rub right now. Probably another pastrami on rye day wednesday!

Actually a dry cure won't be as fast as a curing brine with injection. And if your salt and sugar amounts are in the normal ranges the flavor and tenderness is better with longer cure times. For example, a 1.5" thick pork belly that is dry cured is fully cured after 5 or 6 days, but when cured for 12 to 14 days it has a much better flavor.

Consider not pulling a full vacuum on your curing bag. You want the meat relaxed so the bag liquid is free to move around inside the bag and be re-absorbed by the meat.

When using a wet curing brine it is not mandatory, but it sure helps to inject some of the brine if the meat thickness is over an inch or so.

Back