Gravy Packets in the Turkey......WTF!

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Do any of you use those gravy packets that come shoved in the turkey's cavity? The turkey we bought, has one in it. Most times I cut into the packet when I'm removing the turkey from the bag. The directions call for adding water to the drippings and then adding the gravy packet and bringing the stuff up to a boil.

Do any you ever use the stuff? If you can convince me that it makes for some good gravy, I might consider using it!:becky:

Bob

I had never seen this bag of gravy before last year. I always make my own gravy but since I had some gravy in a bag, I dumped it in the drippings. I thought it was pretty good stuff. Added a lot of flavour. I probably won't do it this year, I never heard the end of it from my wife who preferred it completely from scratch.

It's kinda like when you get one of those packages of corned beef to make pastrami and it comes with that itty bitty packet of rub. How the fark are you supposed to cover a whole brisket flat with that tiny amount? :noidea:

small-spice-packet.jpg

Why use their packet when you can make it fresh yourself just the way you like it? Wouldn't make sense to me. :confused:

Bob, I don't recall finding a gravy packet in a turkey before. Maybe I threw it away not knowing what it was. OBTW, still fixing tamales the way you helped me with. Hope all is well with you and your family bro.

Bob, I don't recall finding a gravy packet in a turkey before. Maybe I threw it away not knowing what it was. OBTW, still fixing tamales the way you helped me with. Hope all is well with you and your family bro.

Glad to hear you are still making the tamales!:thumb: We will be making those come Christmas time. All is well, Brother. Hope all is well with you and yours as well!

Not all of the turkey brands put that gravy packet in there. I've never used it. For those of you that have, is it a high salt content gravy?

My dad is the gravy master! I'm happy using the packets and doctoring those up. I like a light, plain gravy for the turkey and a brown gravy for the taters. I add shrooms and the giblets, neck meat etc to the brown one. I use the drippings for each one.

For those of you that have used it, you all have any recipes?

Bob

Glad to hear you are still making the tamales!:thumb: We will be making those come Christmas time. All is well, Brother. Hope all is well with you and yours as well!

Not all of the turkey brands put that gravy packet in there. I've never used it. For those of you that have, is it a high salt content gravy?

My dad is the gravy master! I'm happy using the packets and doctoring those up. I like a light, plain gravy for the turkey and a brown gravy for the taters. I add shrooms and the giblets, neck meat etc to the brown one. I use the drippings for each one.

For those of you that have used it, you all have any recipes?

Bob

I make my typical gravy from scratch, then add the contents of that
gravy bag from the turkey. I just make the typical butter and flour roux,
then add the drippings from the turkey and the bag of gravy mix. I usually
scrape up all the little pieces of turkey that are on the cutting board,
that always are there when you cut the turkey, then add them to the
gravy. I like to see all the little bits of turkey in the gravy, it probably
doesn't add that much to the flavor, but I think it looks nice.

Back