Start on the cheaper end or buy the expensive smoker I really want?

Damn. Didn’t know he was so behind! I’ve head about boathouse but don’t know much. I just think going local if they can build a top notch pit saves you shipping charges.

Damn. Didn’t know he was so behind! I’ve head about boathouse but don’t know much. I just think going local if they can build a top notch pit saves you shipping charges.

Maybe I should ask him to switch my build to a smoker if he hasn’t started. A Santa Maria seems fun, but I’ll use a smoker way more often.

How many briskets can you reasonably fit on your 1975? I’m pretty much a complete newbie with offsets, but I know you can’t just cram the entire cooking grate full with good results.

I’m worried that Workhorse’s prices might go up if I wait.

Four on the bottom and maybe a couple on top (if thinner without a huge point). Maybe 5 on bottom shelf, depending on size. I’m guessing as I have not done that many yet. if running a lazy fire and the main grate is 250, the top will be 275…if running a hotter fire and 275 is main, the upper grate is 25-50 hotter. It’s very, very even side to side

Edit - not my pic…someone else’s 1975 with four

a66f1653f9813c0e8f255c3135fd4393.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
My very first stick burner was 24x65 from Shirley Fabrication. I never ran an offset smoker prior. One came up for sale here in MN and figured it was my one and only shot of picking up a Shirley Fabrication smoker. So I jumped on it. I have zero regrets. What an awesome learning experience! Go for it!

I wouldn’t be dropping big coin on anything right now. Raw material prices are through the roof and we have an extremely uncertain economy right now. Personally I’d be playing it safe for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be dropping big coin on anything right now. Raw material prices are through the roof and we have an extremely uncertain economy right now. Personally I’d be playing it safe for a bit.

Probably the most sensible answer. Maybe I’ll just work on my fire management in the Good One and see if I can get that working better for me. We do plan on moving to a bigger place in a few years, maybe I’ll hold off until I have a place to fit a 250 gallon smoker. Gotta think big

Probably the most sensible answer. Maybe I’ll just work on my fire management in the Good One and see if I can get that working better for me. We do plan on moving to a bigger place in a few years, maybe I’ll hold off until I have a place to fit a 250 gallon smoker. Gotta think big

I hope you didn’t come here for a sensible answer… :)

cooking at home can be quite sensible and save on your eating out. Plus cooking with wood fire has gotta be good for your soul!

I think now that you know you really do like this method of cooking, then it would make sense to spend money on what you think you will really want.

I would also highly suggest trying to find a way to get your hands on what you are looking at buying. I spent (to me) a lot of money on a smoker sight unseen, and found there were several factors I could have caught in person, and ruled it out.

To the OP, hope things are well down Red Stick way. I think your unsure as to what you really want in a stick burner. From reading this thread it seems that way. I've got a Buddy who bought a middle of the line Oklahoma Joe and put some seals around the doors. It works great!

No matter which one you choose, you have to learn it.

GO Tigars!

To start, I’m not new to BBQing at all. I got my first cheap offset in 2013 or 2014, and it was worth about what I paid for it. I’ve used various styles of smokers since then, but I don’t have an offset stick burner. I bought what I thought was going to scratch that itch in a Good One Marshall, but it works way better as a charcoal smoker and not a stick burner. Anyway, I’m most likely going to ditch (or at least cover and store) my RecTeq pellet grill and put an offset stick burner in it’s spot.

What I really want is either a Workhorse 1975 or a Pitmaker Short Sniper. But I also have been thinking it makes more sense for me to get a smoker a few steps down from those along the lines of an Old Country Brazos. It’s about $2000 less than the Workhorse and $3000 less than the Pitmaker. Can I afford the more expensive ones? Yes. Should I splurge that much? I don’t know. I’ve got several other smokers already, and I’m not catering or doing competitions. I have cooked for upwards of 30 people at a time, but that’s a rarity.

I don't know much about the Workhorse, but I just sold my Long Rifle Sniper to get a Limo Jr., and while I am loving the Jr. I really miss the Sniper. Spend the extra money. I've looked at a lot of brands, and nobody I have seen so far can even touch the guys at Pitmaker when it comes to welding or painting. These guys are true artists. The short Sniper, with the octagonal barrel which has three shelves, will give you more capacity than you'll ever need. I bought the Long Rifle because I cook in pans and was crowded on the pipe pit I had prior to that, but even cooking for 70-100 people I never ran out of room or even used all of it on the LR. Mine loved to run at 250 degrees all day long with only putting a log on every hour and a half or so....

When you are looking at stick burners, get the best you can afford. I bought a cheap craigslist Bandera, to see if I like feeding logs. With the mods it was ok. Got my shirley Fab and wow what a difference. And now I wait for my number to be called for my 250 gallon Moberg. I have regretted not getting the right size cooker the first time, so I recommend you focus on that a lot.

When you are looking at stick burners, get the best you can afford. I bought a cheap craigslist Bandera, to see if I like feeding logs. With the mods it was ok. Got my shirley Fab and wow what a difference. And now I wait for my number to be called for my 250 gallon Moberg. I have regretted not getting the right size cooker the first time, so I recommend you focus on that a lot.

I’m thinking waiting for the bigger one is the way to go. Came here for advice about what to buy, ended up deciding (and being convinced) to wait.

I was in a similar boat a couple years ago. Lots of experience smoking, wanted a stick burner. I started with a cheaper one (Oklahoma Joe Highland) to see if I liked the process and would actually use it. It was yes to both and so I upgraded to a better quality smoker (Horizon). It really is a night and day difference with a good smoker.

If you know you are going to have the time to use a stick burner, are willing to do the overnight and/or early mornings it takes to cook stuff like brisket - spend the money on quality. If you are on the fence - maybe dabble with something cheaper then move up.

On Boathouse smokers - Mad Scientist BBQ did a video recently a Boathouse smokers. There was a good amount of info about the smokers in it - worth a watch.

I think there's some great advice here. Inflation seems insane right now and these increases can't sustain at this rate. However, I think related to a smoker leaves lots of room to maneuver the waters. First, if you know you'll love a stick burner and will use it, overpaying a bit because steel is up probably won't hurt anything unless you're wiping out your life savings or putting a lien on the house to get it.

Now, if you are uncertain about liking it and drop $4000 grand on a smoker and steel prices plummet, manufacturers drop all their prices in correlation (yeah right) and you then decide to sell your smoker you could lose a good chunk of your investment in addition to depreciation. So, is it a tool or an investment? If you really know what you want, buy once cry once and enjoy the pit after you wipe the tears of the thing so it doesn't rust.

If money's no issue, get what you want so you won't regret it. You should get a long time out of a good smoker as long as yountake care of it.

I would get what you want. I just pulled the trigger and got a Shirley and it was the best decision I’ve made in a while. I would of had buyers remorse if I went cheap again.

Back