Rib Membrane

E

Ernie3

I just bought two racks of BB ribs from Stop and Shop here on Long Island. They have the name Indiana Kitchen on the label. Here's the question.........They didn't seem to have the membrane on them, do some processors remove this? I am curious because I usually buy my ribs from the local butcher and I always have to remove it.

Or am I just going blind:cry: ?

I hope its already been removed because I rubbed one down anyway. The other will be smoked naked and brushed with bbq sauce towards the end. I also plan to squirt with apple juice/jack daniels every half hour or so after about two hours.:-D

Once in a while I'll find a rack with the membrane already gone or partially gone.It will still be good eats if you cook em right. I would not sweat over one rack. Good Luck and enjoy !

Yeah, sometimes they have been removed. Never sure if it's on purpose or if it was already started and they just did it for looks.

Time saver mod. Get to eat them sooner. Sign me up.

I guess maybe the membrane has been removed then, if you guys have also run into this as well. I would buy them there again then, they also look meatier( if thats a word:wink: ) than the ones I have gotten from the local butcher. I'll keep everyone posted of the cook results. I am going to try to do pics tommorow but I am also watching my two kids as well, so we will see how it all goes.

I like to save up the membranes from twenty or thirty racks, smoke them and throw them on the grill for a membrane sandwich.

There are those who still swear that if you cook them right you don't have to remove it... even on baby backs. There were times when I smoked ribs on my gas grill... BEFORE I got my smoker and forgot to remove the membrane. They were still damn good and no one seemed to notice.

I wouldn't worry about it. Let us know if you notice anything different if you think the membrane was actually intact.

I buy my bb's at Costco...always have the membrane on.:mad: Hey Costco...if you're listening...how about helping out a brother!!! LOL!

The local meat guy here sells loin back ribs ready for the rub. The're trimmed of most fat,demembraned and vaccusucked never frozen.
And he gets $3.80 lb which is cheaper than the crappy enhanced frozen BB's in the box stores.
Now I'm Jonesin for BB's..
ModelMaker

I will occasionally buy one with membrane removed from the butcher shop. I always feel like I got a bonus when they're removed. I don't think it makes a huge difference in flavor, but it bugs me when I have to pull off the membrane after ribs are cooked. I can't buy ribs from bbq joints because of this reason.

The membrane is edible, just not going to contribute to flavor or tenderness.

The big advantage to removing the membrane will allow you to remove any excess fat that might not cook/render out. Many also believe that the membrane will hinder the smoke and rub flavoring.

When I have the need for several cases of BB's for a cooking job or contest I will buy the already peeled ribs, just to save time in the prep process.

the crappy enhanced frozen BB's in the box stores
ModelMaker

Are you alleging that Sam's or Costco's BB's have been frozen? I've not heard that before. Does anyone know if that is correct or is ModelMaker referring to some other box sotres?

Are you alleging that Sam's or Costco's BB's have been frozen? I've not heard that before. Does anyone know if that is correct or is ModelMaker referring to some other box sotres?

I'm speaking of the Target/ Hy Vee/Wal Mart types. We don't have a Costco and our Sam's does not sell retail meat (ribs/butts/brisket).
I have witnessed them all laying out packages of "Hormel Always tender"
ribs that were not completly thawed.
Do you believe that vacum packed meats from the processing plant to the retailer are fresh, never frozen? I don't have an informed answer.
Anybody else?
ModelMaker

It turned out after all that the first rack that I rubbed down the night before had no membrane. Then the next day before the smoke I opened the next rack..................and there was a membrane:confused: Removed it and on it went. I posted pics of them on the post??????I believe it was titled First Ribs on CG. (pics). They tasted great. :icon_bigsmil

Back