What’s your minimum definition for barbecue?

Around here: "BBQ" means anything cooked outside, and is interchangeable with "grilling" or "cookout".
But, If I use the word BBQ, you can be sure it's being cooked over a fire (no gas).
I don't think of any individual food item associated with barbecue. I think use it more as a style of cooking. ie: Boiled chicken, grilled chicken, barbecue chicken, stir fry chicken. you can pretty much guess how each meal will be prepared.

Today I saw a post on insatagram from a former coworker showing her electric grill on the balcony with some veggie "burgers" on it that had Barbecue wittern in the picture and all I thought was "No there's more than one mistake in that picture". To me Bbq is slow, smoke, meat and beer. Allthough beer is involved in almost everything over here :D

From the baconarea of bratwurstcountry

BBQ is a state of mind...
Low and slow with smoke, nice music, some adult beverages of your choice and enjoyment of the finer things...
Grilling is fast and furious, direct heat, flare ups, hot spots, etc.

Both are and can be quite excellent when done proper...

Like NYC'Que said... can't define it, but you know it when you see it... and I'll add, or smell and taste it.

Minimum definition... Dickey's... not a fan of most chains, somehow this one has gotten a foothold in Kansas City and won't die like Bandana's and Famous Dave's did.

Back