THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flip once here, 60% of the time spent on the first side, 40% on the second since it’s already been cooked a bit from top heat. Sometimes I’ll rotate the steak 90* halfway through that side’s cook time.

Indeed, Charles. It appears the frequent flippers have taken the lead...a shocking turnaround that could have long term ramifications in Qtalk. Kinda like the battle between low and slow as the only way to go vs. hot and fast about 12 or so years ago. :becky:

All these new fangled techniques are just fodder for utube channels and instafake posts.

If you want good bbq, low and slow is the answer.
If you want good steak, minimize flipping.

These young’ns will learn the gritty truth eventually, until then I encourage their experimentation…..
as long as they’re not using the wrong bathrooms

You boomers ruined steaks with Dale's sauce & Italian Dressing for 40+ years so maybe ya'll could learn something from these new fangled techniques. :wink:

Plus I never saw an old timer doing this so maybe there is value in utube and instafake afterall.

jLWxji8.gif

You boomers ruined steaks with Dale's sauce & Italian Dressing for 40+ years so maybe ya'll could learn something from these new fangled techniques. :wink:

Plus I never saw an old timer doing this so maybe there is value in utube and instafake afterall.

jLWxji8.gif

Ohh man.. Dales. Smh.

I do know some folks that used it, I was never one of them. That’s liquid salt.

Italian dressing is great though!!
For salads

The best steak I ever had (bone-in ribeye) was at Delmonico Grill in Rapid City, South Dakota.

I watched the chef and he did several flips on a wood fire grill, first at longer intervals and then faster toward the end of the cook.

At home, if I don't have time to reverse sear and I don't want grease splatters in the kitchen, I just run the gas grill up to 650°F and flip every minute until I like what I see, probe for temp to be sure, rest, and serve with my homemade steak sauce and fresh rosemary.

It ain't Delmonico Grill, but it'll do.

For me it is highly dependent on the type of cooker (covered grill vs open fire vs smoker) and the thickness of the steak.

Thin I flip once. If it is something super thin like skirt steak or flap meat and im cooking on the Primo I'll basically not even flip. Cook on one side, pull and wrap in foil with some beer.

For thick cuts and open fire cooking, like tri tip on the santa maria, it is reverse sear to 120 with lots of flips to get even cooking then pull, rest and sear super hot with lots of flips so nothing burns.

For indoor steak cooking on the cast iron it is flip once, add butter to pan and baste with butter ( into the oven if needed to bring to temp)

Please note that there is absolutely no sarcasm* in the following. Everything you are about to read is true and I stand by it 100%:

I hereby publicly confess that not only did I try the frequent flipping technique on a recent steak cook, but, I loved it!

It was not a good steak, it wasn't even a great steak. It was a transcendent steak, one that will live in my memory till the day I leave this earthly plane. And I enjoyed every minute of all that flipping! And the crust, the crust was amazing! My wife asked me, "What did you DO to these steaks? This is the best steak I've ever eaten!"

Here are the steaks I cooked - they are 3/4 inch prime ribeyes from Sam's Club:

yyAkAdA.jpg

The seasoning was nothing unusual and similar to what I usually do - this time, a compound mixture of TJ's coffee rub, Lawry's, and Oakridge Black Opps. I did not take a pic of the cooked meat, but it had a prominent crust quite unlike what I usually get, and a delicious, slightly charred, caramelized fire-kissed flavor. I estimate that I flipped the steaks about every 30-45 seconds, and cooked them over a blazing hot fire.

No doubt the quality of the meat was very good, as was my choice of seasonings, but I've cooked countless steaks that fell into that category. I am now convinced the flipping had everything to do with it, and I am going to do it again on my next cook, and document everything.

I feel better now that I've made my confession.

Amen.

*May contain trace amounts of sarcasm, but only for emphasis and effect.

Well then.
Case *closed.

Thanks Moose!

*I’m still too lazy to be flipping about. I’ll stick with my flipping minimalism.

John, I applaud your courage in admitting you were wrong from the get go on this matter. I was too, till I tried it. I have been officially converted and nothing can, or will ever change my mind on the subject. It is simply an empirical fact now, and as you say, no need for any further discussion. :nod:

Shall we tackle the low and slow vs hot and fast debate in a new thread?

:behindsofa:

I just coined a new term for practitioners of this technique.

Flipping + Steaks = Fleaker(s)!

Used in a sentence:
Dude did you taste those steaks? The guy that cooked them is a real Fleaker.

Plural:
Hey! Did you guys see those fleakers at the steak competition?

Last edited:

Flipping + Steaks = Fleakers!

Used in a sentence:

Plural:

And now we're labeled.....

And I don't mind a little Dale's and worchestchire on my steaks. Italian dressing gives me indigestion.

I pretty much always reverse sear and when it gets to the sear stage I will do my fancy 4 flips. I like to see if I can get the perfect diamond grill marks. I know they are just for show, but it is fun to me to see if I can get them right. Regardless of grill marks I am still a multi flipper. I got the best grill marks ever on my new M1, raising the charcoal grate up to the grill grates. More importantantly it had great outer sear, flavor, and was cooked perfectly.

Flipping + Steaks = Fleaker(s)!

Used in a sentence:

Plural:

But what about a noun? A "fleak" would be a steak flipped many times during cooking, right?

Used in a sentence:

"Did you see the crust on those fleaks? I've never seen steak look so good before."

So....

Anyone cooking Fleaks this weekend? I'm thinking about stopping by Sam's today to see if they have anymore of those nice looking 3/4 inch prime ribeyes...

:mrgreen:

And there is that!
I too have converted to flippity, flip, flip over screaming hot coals for the long-term future. The only problem I discovered on my first cook was you have to have everything else for dinner ready to go within 5 or so minutes of the meat coming off the fire. I previously would split the heat and cook indirect under cover, giving me time to be in the kitchen finishing up sides and such.
Ed

Back