The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

blackdog043 12-16-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coewar (Post 1483282)
The thing is actually that I was thinking I was making it SIMPLER than the other designs by drilling 3 of the same type of holes in the side of the barrel. I thought it was harder to remove the bung hole cap (which seems to require a tool I don't have) and then putting a flap on that.

But I will try at least leaving all the top vents open and see if I notice it better. Then maybe I can find something to open this bung hole cap.

You might try using a screw driver and hammer and tap it around or just pliers, opened up holding them straight and twist it. Some are hard to get off, it depends what was in the drum. When you get it off, you could just put it in after cooking until you make a plate to cover it.

AcreFarm 12-16-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primeggister1 (Post 1485825)
Your first grid you mention is the lower one correct? And the upper one is...What distance from the lid? I have a couple of designs set out right now and I have a buddy that is a steel fabricator that works with stainless. So I do not really want to make a mistake.

As of right now there is only 1 grate. I do plan to add another in the future.

jcinadr 12-17-2010 11:29 AM

Honestly I can not recall what I used to remove the bung holes on mine - only that it was a non-issue. I think I used a vice grip and just opened it up and turned it - the bung hole is threaded. That said, I might have used a screwdriver to do the same thing.

I then screwed in a close nipple of the same thread for a short smoke stack.
--
Mine was well oiled (coconut oil barrel) and did not take a huge amount of torque to open.

Sixty7x 12-18-2010 04:53 AM

O.k. I've read all the pages, got a drum, built a smoker, cooked on it a dozen times. The only question I have that isn't answered in this enormous thread is where do I go for professional help? Apparently I'm "obsessed" and need help. Well, that's what the wifey says:crazy:. Funny thing is she keeps asking what I'm cooking next
I will say it's been very satisfying cooking delicous food on something I've made. There has been a huge learning curve trying to get my heat dialed in and settled. Still figuring it out. The drum is tight, no leaks, I can have it stone cold from 350degrees in less than 45 min. I've got 2-3/4" ball valves and 1-3/4" capped nipple for intakes and I use the 2" bung for exhaust. I try to catch my temp on the way up. Shut down first intake at 180 and start adjusting second intake around 200. I block the intakes from wind and I keep my start up procedure the same. 12 lit briqs on top of my basket. I use kingsford original charcoal.
I think the combo of a new drum, new to bbq, and being overly excited is my main problem. Besides, for me, building the drum and figuring it out is the fun part. The food is just a bonus!:-D

h20loo 12-18-2010 07:22 AM

You do need help- you never once mentioned a second barrel. Are you sure you are commited to this?

Sixty7x 12-18-2010 07:27 AM

Technically my current barrel is my 2nd. The first i made to complicated and it is now a brush burner in the backyard. I've also built my own cold smoke generator(haven't smoked any food yet) and Im collecting materials to build an offset so I can try my hand at a wood fired smoker.
The way I see it my only real 'problem' is not having enough coin to get a BGE. :becky:

h20loo 12-18-2010 08:00 AM

Ahhh.... so you really are sick! LOL

Sixty7x 12-18-2010 08:03 AM

guess i am. thank you?

coewar 12-19-2010 03:46 PM

Thank you for the tip.. pliers opened on the top on inside of the bung hole and twist allowed me to open.. and I have the 2" one plus I also have some 3/4" hole that I opened as well.

So what I do now is leave my 3 vents at the top on the side open most of the time. I open the bung hole only if I have to get the temp climbing faster. Then when it's there I plug it up again and leave one and a half of my intake vents at the bottom. This seems to work.

However I see that my temp on the lid and temp on the side of barrel at cooking grate is still quite a bit lower than internal temp on the grate by the food. I will start looking for a pizza pan type of thing to place between the fire and food and drill some holes. I imagine this will make the temp more even around the cooking area.

speedrcer1 12-19-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsee (Post 1467600)
How well does the vinyl stand up to the heat on the side of the barrel?

You could always use the vinyl as a stencil.

byounghusband 12-20-2010 06:10 PM

Ok!! I read the WHOLE thread. Only took a couple weeks off and on. What an entertaining and informative read. I will be building my own UDS KISS style. I am SO tired of fighting with my moded ECB!! I get good results, mind you, but the "set it and forget it" idea of a UDS makes a lot of sense to me.

Thank you ALL for you input, questions, advice, comedy, wins and losses. With luck, I will have something to add to this thread and additional ones as as well. I also have another coworker or two interested in UDSs. I may build a few and sell/trade them.

Talk to you all soon!!

Thanks!!

coewar 12-21-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byounghusband (Post 1489387)
I am SO tired of fighting with my moded ECB!!

What is an ECB?

But like you, I have another smoker (COS) Cheap Offset Smoker and keeping it up to temp is a big pain in the cold months. The UDS is amazingly easy to maintain temps and be very efficient in fuel usage!

byounghusband 12-23-2010 08:59 AM

An ECB IS an El Cheapo Brinkman http://www.brinkmann.net/products/ou...tem=852-7006-0

I have made a couple modifications to it, including moving the legs to the outside, and drilling holes in the firepan.

Check this out for other mods: http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecb.html

This thing is killing me today with an 11 lb Butt on it. Q-view will follow....

Quote:

Originally Posted by coewar (Post 1490509)
What is an ECB?

But like you, I have another smoker (COS) Cheap Offset Smoker and keeping it up to temp is a big pain in the cold months. The UDS is amazingly easy to maintain temps and be very efficient in fuel usage!

High Q 12-24-2010 01:46 PM

TTUDS Complete

Well I finally finished my UDS. I have a brisket going on it right now. Here's a photo of the finished drum and a link to the build thread.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/DSC_0112.jpg

Texas Tech Drum Corps (UDS Build Thread)

jeffsee 12-25-2010 12:07 AM

Wisconsin Brethren: 16 Gallon Drum?

Any Wisconsin Brethren know of a place where I might get a 16 gallon steel drum (27" x 14")? NOw that I have had success at home, I'm thinking of making a mini UDS for my campsite in Green Lake. No barrels of this size on craigslist.

Thanks!